AH-6J Walkaround Photos

Guys,

I think this set is gonna make some of you guys very happy. James Green was nice enough to send me the negatives for these AH-6J shots. As you can see, the only major piece of hardware missing are the minis. James took these with the modeler in mind and has graciously given me permission to post them here for all to enjoy. You can visit James' website here: James Green I'll send James the link to this thread so if you like these shots let him know.

Ray

JamesGreen160th-FtCampbell0007.jpg

JamesGreen160th-FtCampbell0006.jpg

JamesGreen160th-FtCampbell0005.jpg

JamesGreen160th-FtCampbell0004.jpg

JamesGreen160th-FtCampbell0008.jpg

JamesGreen160th-FtCampbell0010.jpg

JamesGreen160th-FtCampbell0009.jpg

JamesGreen160th-FtCampbell0015.jpg

JamesGreen160th-FtCampbell0003.jpg

Edited by rotorwash

James and Ray, thanks for your efforts in bringing those photos to us. :thumbsup: That is probably the most complete set of photos of the AH-6J there is on the net at the moment. There are even a few interesting details on the machines in those photos that I've never seen before on the -6J, like the modified air-intake (I think that's what it is) and the nav lights on the fuselage sides (I thought only the OH-6A had these). Brilliant stuff!

LD.

Jame and Ray,

Thanks very, very much for posting those pictures. Any idea when and where they were taken, that heliport seems to be in the middle of nowhere. It's kinda strange that the place seems pretty much deserted as well. Just the kinda place you would find a flock of Littlebirds.

On a technical note, I am very interested in finding out what the purpose of that large hooded air intake is. Also, the engine exhaust has a flanged fitting that I have never seen before. I remember someone who was involved with Littlebirds 5-6 years ago telling me that the J models had an IR suppression kit but that it was only used on operational flights and was rarely (if ever) photographed. Not sure if that is the case or not but looks like these aircraft have some very unusual fittings.

Thanks again for the pix.

Jame and Ray,

Thanks very, very much for posting those pictures. Any idea when and where they were taken, that heliport seems to be in the middle of nowhere. It's kinda strange that the place seems pretty much deserted as well. Just the kinda place you would find a flock of Littlebirds.

On a technical note, I am very interested in finding out what the purpose of that large hooded air intake is. Also, the engine exhaust has a flanged fitting that I have never seen before. I remember someone who was involved with Littlebirds 5-6 years ago telling me that the J models had an IR suppression kit but that it was only used on operational flights and was rarely (if ever) photographed. Not sure if that is the case or not but looks like these aircraft have some very unusual fittings.

Thanks again for the pix.

Whoops, I was incorrect about it being at Ft. Campbell. James told me they were taken after night training at Yakima Training Center in Washington when he was NCOIC of the Range Division there in the nineties. I'll fix the title.

Ray

Wow!! Thank you guys sooo much!! Just when I was about to start building the Dragon kit!!!

11Bee: you're right about the lack of putty :thumbsup: . Funny to see how the real thing has all those seams and holes that we modellers would fill up with putty right away! Take a look on how the back doors are hacked to pieces to fit over the rocket holders! :woot.gif:

Also good to know to not forget to put some plants in the chin bubble of the kit (see pic 8 of the first series). Anyone has an idea on what species of plant that is? :D

Edited by GeejeeZ
Wow!! Thank you guys sooo much!! Just when I was about to start building the Dragon kit!!!

11Bee: you're right about the lack of putty :crying2: . Funny to see how the real thing has all those seams and holes that we modellers would fill up with putty right away! Take a look on how the back doors are hacked to pieces to fit over the rocket holders! :nanner:

Also good to know to not forget to put some plants in the chin bubble of the kit (see pic 8 of the first series). Anyone has an idea on what species of plant that is? ;)

Looks like Artemisia vulgaris (Mugwort) to me:

Artemisia.vulgaris2.jpg

JamesGreen160th-FtCampbell0015.jpg

Edited by rotorwash

Wow, nice walkaround, the paint sheme of this bird is awesome, very interesting the plants inside the canopy. The engine cowling looks very bad shaped too, interesting.

Makes me wanna build a little bird.

Sal001

Wow, nice walkaround, the paint sheme of this bird is awesome, very interesting the plants inside the canopy. The engine cowling looks very bad shaped too, interesting.

Makes me wanna build a little bird.

Sal001

Maybe someone will release a PE set for those mugwort plants? That would be the ultimate obscure detailing set :)

Getting back to my original comment on that unusual shield on the fuselage and the flanged exhaust, do any of the experts on this forum have any insight into them? I've seen many, many pictures of J-model Littlebirds and I've never seen that hardware before. Very unique....

John

• 2 weeks later...

For those that are interested, someone has posted some nice pictures of an MH-6M at a recent air show over at military photos. If you are a Littlebird fan and are not familiar with this thread, it is completely dedicated to the A/MH-6. Grab a cup of coffee (or a beer depending on the time of day) and spend an hour or so checking it out. Well worth it!

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showt...123&page=33

Some interesting things to note: They have a new and much smaller FLIR, new design planks / fast rope frame and the sign board mentions that they can mount hellfires. I've never seen any pix of Littlebirds with hellfires mounted. Very interesting.

They also have another thread dedicated to the 160th that has some nice littlebird pix as well. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll post the link.

Regards,

John

Edited by 11bee