2 x 1/48 Caldwell Spitfires (Mk VIII and Vb trop)

My young bloke Chris (10) has a 1/48 ICM Spitfire Mk.VIII (Caldwell box) and I have a 1/48 Tamiya Mk. Vb tropical with A/M Caldwell decals. We are going to build them side by side and see if we can complete them by the end of next month 30/6/09. So far we have cut out the doors and built the cockpits up. All the areas requiring green paint have been sprayed and we are about to detail out the rest of the cockpit. Chris has insisted that the engine on his be exposed like my shark mouth Spitfire from earlier as he intends to do the accompanying diorama that came with his kit. I have advised him against it but he's ten and reckons he can do it. Let's see how he goes.

I will post some pics when the cockpit is done a bit more.

Regards

Andrew and Chris

Edited by Andrew Doppel

Thanks Johnsan,

It is pretty cool building alongside Chris except when he wants to go off on a tangent with his build like I mentioned and open everything up. My Spitfire is ready for paint so I'll probably just do mine and get it over and done with as there's less work on my Shake & Bake Tamiya Spit than his ICM one.

Chris is working on his engine at the moment and as guessed is having problems BUT he insisted so he needs to learn. I'm sure he'll do it okay in the end, it's just the modeller's abuse from a ten year old I'm struggling to deal with. I don't ever remember having the same issues. I suppose this is a good learning tool for him as he desperately wants to build his 1/48 F4J 'Jolly Rogers' Phantom, and his B29 RAAF Washington, and his 460 Sqn RAAF Lancaster, and .................

Regards

Andrew

Enjoy his building company while you can. My son and I used to build together until he discovered girls, sports and cars!

Keep the posts coming.

• 2 weeks later...

Well here's Chris' work so far. He's doing a great job:

DSC02979.jpg

And I guessed it, issues with the engine fitting the front end. We'll work on it though, and

Here's mine;

DSC02976.jpg

DSC02978.jpg

DSC02975.jpg

The controversy is that that Caldwell had three VC aircraft with the code CR-C. He flew these regulary from February to the end of June 1943 when 1 wing moved north and had an aircraft assigned to both 452 and 457 Sqns. These were:

1. BS234, (A58-95), assigned to 457 Sqn ,and

2. BS295, (A58-20), assigned to 452 Sqn. This aircraft was replaced with JL394(A58-210) after BS295 had an accident.

A lot is not known about the aircraft BS234 as Caldwell didn't fly it as regularly and wasn't photographed. I'm building BS234 which I found obscure decals for from Hobbies Australia which are actually produced by Aussie Decals;

CRC.jpg

I can't find anything definate on BS234 through Google or anyone who can definately say this is a correct or wrong scheme although what I have found is an interpretation showing it with a white spinner with black band and a complete azure blue Vokes filter which is definately what BS295/JL394 had.

I hope you like our work so far.

Regards

Andrew and Chris

Edited by Andrew Doppel

hi!

er, one thing you should know is the Tamiya is a Mk Vb, not a Vc. The cannon bulges on the top of the wings were different.

still good job on the build and paint, i have plans to do a caldwell spit as well but using Airfix's 1/72 Spit Vc kit (not very nice, BTW)

threads merged as per GB guidelines

Sorry Jay mate :salute: ,

I thought as Chris and I had our own builds going it would have made it easier for you by splitting the completed items. I shall slap myself! :worship:

Regards

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Doppel

no problem at all, just keeps the GB forum a bit cleaner and makes it much easier for someone looking at your build in the finished gallery to go back and see your full work all in one place rather than have to jump from one thread to another to see the full build. Thanks and great work!

• 2 weeks later...

Given there's what, only a couple of days left, Chris ain't gunna finish his Mk.VIII in time although he's very close to painting and finishing off. He's had a few issues with the engine fitting as I predicted with the ICM kit.

Regards

Andrew :deadhorse1:

• 3 months later...

Finished! - This was Chris' original build for this Spitfire GB which unfortunately I've had to take over and finish. This is the old 1/48 ICM Clive Caldwell Mk. VIII Spitfire (OOB). Chris wanted the panels off as per my ZP-Y but this kit had more issues with the engine fit and decals than mine. He had it all built except the engine framework kept breaking so he asked me to complete it for him. So over the last couple of days I have been doing odd bits and pieces to it to get it to how it looks now.

Regards

Andrew & Chris

DSC03386.jpg

DSC03381.jpg

DSC03382.jpg

DSC03383.jpg

DSC03384.jpg

DSC03385.jpg

Edited by Andrew Doppel