Spitfire XIVe TZ138 CF-GMZ

Well folks, since there's no way I can get the use of an airbrush in the near future, I've decided to switch builds.

My old build thread is here.

I've decided to build another Canadian civil Spitfire, Mk XIVe TZ138, registered CF-GMZ. This aircraft built in 1945 and was used for cold weather testing with the Winter Experimental Establishment (WEE) Flight in western Canada from early 1946 to July 1949. It was probably the only Spit ever flown with skis... (Long story...snow packed airstrip, small wheels, prop crunch, fix & repair, fitted Tiger Moth skis to get airborne ;) )

TZ138 was sold for $1250 to two Edmonton businessmen (one was Ken Brown, who flew on the Dam Busters raid) and they quickly prepared it for entry in the Cleveland Air Races.

This is what it looked like in its racing scheme: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Imperial-Oi...7e50f8866ed7d23

It placed third, and the team won a $1050 prize. Early the next morning, the pilot took off with the Spitfire and the winnings :cheers: and the Spit was sold a couple days later for $1000 in Florida. In 1952, it was supposed to be sold to a buyer in the Dominican Republic, but was confiscated by US Customs. It has passed from collector to collector, rebuilt in 1970 but crashing on its first flight. The Lone Star Flight Museum acquired it and restored it, completing it in 1994. It is now in Vancouver, BC with collector Robert Jens, registered C-GSPT, but I understand it is not flown.

Anywho, on to the model.

I intend to use Academy's Mk XIVe 'Special Edition' kit, that comes complete with decals (by Cartograf) for CF-GMZ.

boxtop.jpg

I also have the Quickboost revised upper cowling and prop/spinner on order, as well as using the Ultracast treaded wheels I was planning to use for CF-NUS.

(I know they're too small for a XIV, but they look a lot better than the kit wheels, and who's really going to notice?)

And since there's already been a few Academy XIVe's built for the GB, I have good references now... :whistle:

And BTW, it will be painted with Tamiya rattle can Gloss Aluminum (which is why I switched builds in the first place...)

Now onto the building...

:lol:

Edited by rcaf_100
  • 3 weeks later...

Update time!

I've made some progress on CF-GMZ, so without further ado, here are the pics.

Nothing special inside, as it will be all 'buttoned up' - and yes, I painted over the window because I felt like it...the racer has an RCAF roundel over it

IMG_8803.jpg

IMG_8820.jpg

I filled the canon ports with Evergreen rod and sanded to shape.

IMG_8826.jpg

Here are the aftermarket details that I will be using:

Quickboost cowling w/round exhaust

Quickboost spinner and prop

Ultracast 3 spoke diamond treaded wheels - I know they're a tad small for an XIV, but they look a lot more like the real thing than the kit items...

IMG_8828.jpg

Overall view, with seperated rudder.

IMG_8830.jpg

:thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

Just found this looking for something esle and thought WOW!! this Spitfire looks amazing project.. :unsure:

SO have you gotten far now... :whistle:

Please post more as this looks like a challenge and would love to see this thread progress..

HOLMES :monkeydance:

Thanks Holmes!

The plane is basically ready for paint, and it's been that way for a few months now. I removed the cannon bulges on the wings and got the new resin cowling on.

The project has stalled for a few reasons. The biggest would be that I recently purchased a warbird project and have spent the last month and a half getting ready to go pick it up. I leave to get it tomorrow.

Anywho, I'm glad you like it so far. If I ever get around to finishing it, I'll be sure to post photos. :crying2:

:crying2:

rcaf 100..

Well there is no hurry at all...The link is good, thak you.... Did not realsize that they were run on Rolls Riyce Griifon engines...

395.565 miles per hour seems FAST for the period the photos was taken....

It looks very enigamtic to say the least....

I will keep coming back to check just in case you post more prpgress pictures.... I will wait.... :touche:

Hipe the Wrabird project keeps you not so busy... :whistle:

• 4 months later...

Even though the GB is long over, I thought I'd post photos of the finished Spit. I finished it about a month ago, but just got around to taking pictures of it.

I entered it in Heritagecon IV two weeks ago just for fun, and ended up with a 3rd in the Civil Aircraft category. Talk about surprised!

Anyway, I thought it turned out OK, and this is the first model I've finished with a wash.

I used 'The Detailer' available through Squadron to accent the panel lines. It did a nice job.

BTW the kit decals (by Cartograf) were great! The only thing I changed is that I thought the wing '80' was too small, so I used parts off a 1/72 Williams Bros Boeing 247 decal sheet.

I used the C133 out of NC13347 to make the 80. And of course I put sealer over the decals.

I tried a little piece I wasn't using without sealer, and guess what happened when it hit the water? It shattered! (of course!)

Sorry about the dust. It's been sitting on top of my TV...

IMG_9880.jpg

IMG_9869.jpg

IMG_9877.jpg

IMG_9898.jpg

:cheers:

Edited by rcaf_100