Spray booths and ventilation

Guys, my new workshop is almost complete. I am working on the paint booth area and have not been able to decide how to ventilate all the fumes. Would a cooker hood move enough air to work, or would a decent extractor fan work?

Alternatively, I considered hooking up some 120mm computer fans ??

All ideas greatfully received!

Chris

I'm running a vent which has a rated capacity of 200 CFM, but I'm finding that it on occasions needs to be double that. A range hood is for moving odors not suspended particulates which painting creates a lot of. Filters collect these and reduce flow so it is important to change or clean them often. IMO it is also important to be able to have access to the fan for cleaning as well. Also remember that when you take air out of a workspace you have to have a means of replacing it to work efficiently...keep a continuous flow of air in and out.

paintbooth2.jpg

ventexit-1.jpg

I use a oven-range hood fan, advertises up to 400CFM (probably less due to ducting restrictions). Got it on the cheap. Used thin-walled PVC to duct it out the side of the house to a drier vent. Works great.

• 2 weeks later...
Guys, my new workshop is almost complete. I am working on the paint booth area and have not been able to decide how to ventilate all the fumes. Would a cooker hood move enough air to work, or would a decent extractor fan work?

Alternatively, I considered hooking up some 120mm computer fans ??

All ideas greatfully received!

Chris

Hi, I use a "squirrel cage" fan, mounted on top of my paint booth. By mounting it outside of the painting area, this cuts way down on the chance of fire. I vent my fumes directly out my basement window through flexible dryer venting. For wintertime or bad weather use, I bought one of those basement window covers and cut a hole in it the size of the dryer venting hose. I have been using this set-up for quite awhile and it works for me. I also wear a respirator that I got from my neighbor. He said that if you can smell it, it's gettin' ya. Good luck, and be safe.