hello all!

...Started another (well, two actually..this and a 32nd scale block 60F) But here's a look at the first.

This is a 32nd scale block 30 artic aggressor for an inflight display on a stick. I installed a lit afterburner with a custom built light setup from VoodooFX. The burner is a blue-ish white, constant illumination that pulses or "flickers" just a bit to simulate a lit flame:

100_7553.jpg

The wires will run down the pole, and the burner will be activated by this switch setup that I made:

000_0007-3.jpg

This is the stock Tamiya IP and glareshield. Rivet detail added and defog vents are dry transfers. Note the HUD symbology for a climbing right turn:

SDC10196.jpg

More of the cockpit and pilot:

SDC10209.jpg

SDC10181.jpg

SDC10179.jpg

SDC10175.jpg

That's is an incredibile idea my friend!!! Very nice also the arctic subject. I have TwoBob decal and 32 Tamyia kit also......so I am very involved in your progress about.

I follow you closely.

CIao

As usual, we're going to "Pig School" again. Incredible! How did you do the HUD display?

Hey Chuck!

The HUD symbology was simple-It's just a decal from an old Teckniks HUD set (which came with decals). As with my other inflight display that I did a while back, this one has all the "in flight" stuff in the cockpit ie seat armed, DED on, main and standby ADI's match the jets attitude, MFD's on, throttle in full blower....

The closed GE burner can is a resin item I picked up off Evilbay and is really nice. It's not closed 100%, so what I'm simulating here is the pilot just plugged in the burner and the nozzle is starting to open-

Thanks guys for all of the kind words! more to follow-

Pig

The closed GE burner can is a resin item I picked up off Evilbay and is really nice. It's not closed 100%, so what I'm simulating here is the pilot just plugged in the burner and the nozzle is starting to open-

Pig

I bought the same burner cans (in open and closed) from the same dude. I look forward to seeing it in action!

Pete, dude.

I'm so in awe of your Viper builds. I can't wait to see how the burner turns out, such a genius idea. Also, the idea of using the decal for the hud is a first. I have never seen that done before and is super attention to detail. That is where your builds captivate me from the beginning. Your paint skills and detail work are simply incredible.

Well done, sir!

Great work, Pig...standard! I'll follow this one as well. In the next few weeks I am starting the same build (on the ground) for our display here at RED FLAG-Alaska at Elmendorf. Be ready...I may be asking lots of questions!

Groovy.

Unless I've missed your posts, I haven't seen you in a while. It's good to see you again.

Here is an ignorant question, as I know nothing about what it takes or how to construct illumination.

Could you tap into your existing light source or would you need to create a new source to

illuminate the collision or cockpit (spot-if there are any in the cockpit, as I don't know this) lights

with fiber optics if you so desired? Or, is fiber optic too out of scale/large to use?

And, upon reviewing the situation, what, by your estimation, would it take to illuminate

the collision or cockpit lights.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Groovy.

Unless I've missed your posts, I haven't seen you in a while. It's good to see you again.

Here is an ignorant question, as I know nothing about what it takes or how to construct illumination.

Could you tap into your existing light source or would you need to create a new source to

illuminate the collision or cockpit (spot-if there are any in the cockpit, as I don't know this) lights

with fiber optics if you so desired? Or, is fiber optic too out of scale/large to use?

And, upon reviewing the situation, what, by your estimation, would it take to illuminate

the collision or cockpit lights.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Hi Mark!

It's good to see all of you guys again too!

...I'm not sure why I didn't photograph more of the "guts" of the light set-up :wacko: Essentially, there are 4 lights mounted to a disc that is the same diameter as the burner tube. There are orange lights around the perimeter every 120 degrees and one blue/white in the middle. The mounting disc is reflective (covered with foil). Looking down the tailpipe, the lights are mounted behind the flame holder, with a disc of plastic diffuser material between the lights and the flame holder.

As the bulbs are hidden behind the light diffusing material, you could tap these bulbs for light with fiber optic wire without

seeing the fiber optic wire when you look down the tailpipe..so yes, I'd say that'd work.

In 32nd scale, fiber optics would work great for the position lights, landing/taxi lights, and cockpit area. Infact, if you look closely at the Tamiya kit, there are conduits already molded into the inner surfaces of the wings and tail to run fiber optics..Gotta love Tamiya.

Regards,

Pig

Excellent build and awesome idea! I cannot wait to see more.

I do have a question. What base color did you use for the cockpit? Is it just a flat black? Mine always turns out too dark looking, even when I try to lighten it with a wash or something. It looks excellent!

SLICK

Edited by slick95