Based on my own experience, I would warn you to not order from Blackbird Models.

In mid-February of this year, I e-mailed Blackbird Models to confirm that their 1/72 Lockheed C-5A Galaxy kit was available. Glenn with Blackbird e-mailed me on Feb. 19th and told me that yes, it was. He said that a few photos of a completed one was going to be posted on the site later that week.

Later that week I visited the Blackbird website again and even went so far as to put one of the C-5A kits in my on-line shopping cart but decided not to submit the order, since the photos of a completed C-5A had still not been posted.

Glenn with Blackbird e-mailed me on Feb. 26th, saying "I noticed you went through the order side of the store but never left any payment details, did you want me to cancel the order?". His reply suggested to me that these kits could actually be obtained by ordering them from Blackbird. In any event, I replied to Glenn that I wanted to wait and see the photos he had mentioned earlier before ordering one of the kits.

The photos were posted and on Feb. 27th I placed an order for one of the C-5A kits. I received an on-line order acknowledgement, and my credit card was duly charged $181.72. That was the last time I ever heard from Blackbird Models.

I sent an inquiry to Glenn at Blackbird on April 10th and then again on April 25th to ask about the status of my order, since the C-5A kit never arrived. Glenn was very responsive to my inquiries before I placed the order, and even took the initiative of contacting me first as a follow-up after he detected that I had gone "through the order side of the store", but he has never replied to any inquiries after I placed the order. I do not have the kit, and am out more than $180.

Buyer beware!

- H. Scott Edwards

e-dress: modelboogie at yahoo dot com

Edited by okmodels

Hopefully you paid with a credit card. If you did, contact your card company and fill them in on the details. They should get you your money back, and chase after Blackbird for the fraud.

Just a heads up, put some spaces in your email address or you will wind up with a bunch of spam in your inbox.

Sorry you are having problems with this, especially with that kind of money. Some people need horsewhipped!

The photos were posted and on Feb. 27th I placed an order for one of the C-5A kits. I received an on-line order acknowledgement, and my credit card was duly charged $181.72. That was the last time I ever heard from Blackbird Models.

If you placed an order by CC and the goods never showed up then your CC compay will get the money back.

In the UK under the distance selling regualtions unless goods are delivered in 30 days (or you have agreed something different up front) then the contract is cancelled.

I have looked at the address and it is residential, so not a business address.

I would impore anyone that has been taken by this company to contact Sheffield City Council Trading Standards Department ultimatly these are the people who will close him down.

Julien

I wonder if ANYONE has ever received a C-5 from Blackbird! It may be that he collects your money and then orders the kit from his producer. I know several small companies that operate like that, and I don't do business with them. If you can't afford at least a modest inventory of stock on hand, you probably shouldn't be in business. Or more importantly you can go out of business at a moment's notice, usually with some customers' money in your wallet.

I went through the initial phases that you did several years ago, but because of comments from others, I never sent payment, despite assurances from Glenn that the kit was available for immediate shipment - it just didn't smell right. Glad now that I trusted my instincts. I have never read any positive comments about Glenn or Blackbird. The lack of communication after payment received is an inexcusable, shoddy business practice.

Good luck getting satisfaction on this.

Edited by Glen the Rotorhead

AFAIK, Glenn bought the masters from ID models, either when the guy behind ID decided to retire, or passed away. There was talk about resin detail sets from one of Glenn's other brands (Hawkeye? I know he had a resin company, decal company and book company all with essentially the same name... but not Blackbird), and decal sheets released under his decal name, along with re-releases of other ID Models greats (like the 1/48 B-52), again with superdetailed resin and decals to go with it.

None of which ever seem to have come to pass.

In fact, I'm not sure if he's ever even "released" another one of ID models' kits, come to think of it. I've only ever heard of people trying/failing to get the C-5 from him. Which kind of makes one wonder, does he *actually* own the masters to the rest of the line? If not, what happened to all those old ID Models kits. And for that matter, does he even have the masters for the C-5?

And the thought just popped into my head, Blackbird C-5, Aerodynamix Tornado F.3, SuperBug B-58... you could enter those in the 'collection' category of the next Nats. Three big bases, with three empty money bags on 'em. :woot.gif:

And the thought just popped into my head, Blackbird C-5, Aerodynamix Tornado F.3, SuperBug B-58... you could enter those in the 'collection' category of the next Nats. Three big bases, with three empty money bags on 'em. :doh:

ROTFL!

Group Build Idea!!!

Ken

I would point out that I have been in contact with Scott about the delay which was caused by a delay with some casting. I had e-mailed him and it seems from his reply that he never got the e-mail. As I sure Scott will verify that I HAVE been in contact with him.

Glenn

After I posted my remarks above on June 6 about not hearing from Blackbird Models since before I placed the order on Feb. 27, I did in fact receive some e-mails from Glenn on June 7. However, as I originally stated, I received no replies or e-mails from Blackbird Models between Feb. 27 and June 7, despite sending two separate inquiries during April about the status of my order.

Now if I should also actually receive the C-5A kit (as Glenn has indicated that I will, saying that he is shipping it this week), then I will gladly acknowledge that event here, and of course retract my initial note.

In the meantime I remain out $181.72,

Scott

Edited by okmodels
  • 2 weeks later...

Just an update,

Scott has not been totally open either.

After we had e-mails this past week and his kit is ready to ship, and he stated he still wanted the kit, he had already started a chargeback to get his money back, as well as get the kit.

So I guess you can say there are two sides to this.

Glenn

...but you also said the kit was 'ready to ship' three and a half months ago. And only decided to e-mail him after being publicly called out as a bad trader. (again)

I can't blame him in the least for trying to get his money back. Particularly since this ISN'T the first time this has happened. In fact, *every* discussion about your re-release of the ID kit that I can recall, has centred on someone ordering the kit, then several months later still hasn't recieved it and can't get a response out of you. Then per the standard pattern, you contact the individual, promises get made that it's going to be shipped immediately, please have a little more patience, the heat dies down on the discussion board... and several months later, the individuals STILL don't have their kits.

And now you're trying to paint your CUSTOMERS as the bad guys? Wow.

And now you're trying to paint your CUSTOMERS as the bad guys? Wow.

Easier than actually shipping the kit.

Sounds like he went to the SuperBug/GoldenDragon school of business.

Ken

Edited by kenlilly106
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why oh why is it so difficult for people to just do the right thing? If e-mail wasn't working, you guys should have sorted it out over the phone. If the kits aren't boxed up and ready to go out the door within two working days, don't say they are "ready to ship"

It amazes me that we even have to discuss things like this...

Unfortunately we have to keep discussing things like this because there are still too many places that try to pull stunts like this.

It seems to be a pattern though, offer a few small kits and sell them regularly, then offer a huge "wunderkit" that no one else makes. Once the money is in hand begin to offer a bunch of excuses why the kit is not ready, wait as long as possible to ship.

Repeat as necessary.

I've actually seen people defend behavior like this with "he's making something that no one else does, I'm willing to wait however long it takes to get it"

Which is one of the dumbest things I've read in a long time.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings from South Africa

I wish to add my input regarding my purchase of C-5A from the page url:

http://www.blackbirdmodels.co.uk/c-5a-galaxy-72-102-p.asp

I placed my order for this item early(feb) in 2008. I have never it.

I advised Glenn of this fact (after waiting long enough: 13 weeks - I know I live in South Africa package can take upto 8 weeks), and I was promised another one, and that his busines insurance would cover this missing item.

I doubt any model(s) was sent to me, as when asking for tracking number for them, I never got an answer.

After asking several times via email for updates and status details, (and again a tracking number) I got no feedback.

I did not go to my CC comapny to stop the transaction, in good faith that the item would arrive.

I along with a good friend, had planned to purchase and build this model for a lovely young lady, who was an avid C-5 Galaxy fan, like myself.

She passed away earlier this year due to Cancer, I still feel the guilt of not been able to keep my promise.

I have been looking all over to trying find another source, as it is clear Glenn, can't supply this product and I am still short in pocket!

Glenn, if you read this, can you provide me and the others here, an answer, I feel at least on this forum, you are obliged to give a reply, when you have not answered my emails.

I feel if, we as a informal group here dont get either a refunds or products within a reasonable set period of time (40 days), that using the website: http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/sheffield/ to report your business, is the best thing we can do to protect others from bad traders that you appear to be.

Regards

Jason Hodgkiss

for anyone trying to contact me: add gmail.com to my username.

Greetings from South Africa

I wish to add my input regarding my purchase of C-5A from the page url:

http://www.blackbirdmodels.co.uk/c-5a-galaxy-72-102-p.asp

I placed my order for this item early(feb) in 2008. I have never it.

I advised Glenn of this fact (after waiting long enough: 13 weeks - I know I live in South Africa package can take upto 8 weeks), and I was promised another one, and that his busines insurance would cover this missing item.

I doubt any model(s) was sent to me, as when asking for tracking number for them, I never got an answer.

After asking several times via email for updates and status details, (and again a tracking number) I got no feedback.

I did not go to my CC comapny to stop the transaction, in good faith that the item would arrive.

I along with a good friend, had planned to purchase and build this model for a lovely young lady, who was an avid C-5 Galaxy fan, like myself.

She passed away earlier this year due to Cancer, I still feel the guilt of not been able to keep my promise.

I have been looking all over to trying find another source, as it is clear Glenn, can't supply this product and I am still short in pocket!

Glenn, if you read this, can you provide me and the others here, an answer, I feel at least on this forum, you are obliged to give a reply, when you have not answered my emails.

I feel if, we as a informal group here dont get either a refunds or products within a reasonable set period of time (40 days), that using the website: http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/sheffield/ to report your business, is the best thing we can do to protect others from bad traders that you appear to be.

Regards

Jason Hodgkiss

for anyone trying to contact me: add gmail.com to my username.

Careful Jason, it's going to somehow wind up your fault!

Careful Jason, it's going to somehow wind up your fault!

Right, I am on the forum and happy to answer any remarks, questions or comments that are mature and senseible.

Yes, therehave been major problems with productions and packaging for shipping, yes I have made some major errors along the way, I'll hold my hands up to that and will do my upmost to sort out every issue. There have also been a couple of matters relating to my family life etc that have been a major distraction which I admit had me commit less than i should have to business. There are no secrets and anyone who wants to discuss matters in a frank and adult manner, no problem.

If someone wants to contact me if they have an issue then please do so.

What I don't have time for are smug spineless arseholes [yes you know who you are] who get some kick out of jumping on a bandwagon. A pity you never have the guts to been seen face to face.

But as I say, anyone who has a complaint please get in touch. I have contacted Jason to try and sort this out.

Glenn