Update: Dora Decaled

Trumpeter 1/24 FW-190D OOB:

Getting her painted up. Combo of the standard RLM colors (70 and 80 series stuff). Sprayed the wing roots with Alclad before painting. Going to try the fine sandpaper trick and see how the wing walk scuffing comes out. So far the kit is fun to build. Kit painting directions are inaccurate from what I can tell. I am using a combo of painting sources from Jerry Crandall's Dora book to some past online builds.

Tomorrow the brownish color gets sprayed on around the canopy area and a few more touch up areas with RLM 75 and the main painting should be done. Going to tone down the tail area with a light overspray of RLM 76 as well. Then on to the yellow and white tail band.

Cheers All

ATIS

IMG_1584.jpg

IMG_1583.jpg

Edited by Collin
Sprayed the wing roots with Alclad before painting. Going to try the fine sandpaper trick and see how the wing walk scuffing comes out.

Smooth paint finish Collin :cheers:

Have you heard of the hair lacquer technique for paint scuffing?

Let the Alclad dry thoroughly, give the area a coat of acrylic hair lacquer, apply the colour coat and then, before it has hardened fully, use a wet toothbrush or pan scourer to remove the top colour in places. Armour modellers use this technique to give the scuffed look to ground targets.....

I'm looking forward to seeing how the scuffing works. Should be cool! :monkeydance:

:touche:

Smooth paint finish Collin :woot.gif:

Have you heard of the hair lacquer technique for paint scuffing?

Let the Alclad dry thoroughly, give the area a coat of acrylic hair lacquer, apply the colour coat and then, before it has hardened fully, use a wet toothbrush or pan scourer to remove the top colour in places. Armour modellers use this technique to give the scuffed look to ground targets.....

I'm looking forward to seeing how the scuffing works. Should be cool! :nanner:

:cheers:

yes,but you have to be careful cause you need a coat or two of HS and its difficult to control the layering. not sure if i would try it on a a/c, you need a smooth finish

I have heard about the hairspray technique. I will try that someday.

Reading a recent magazine, I saw the technique of using high grades of sandpaper to "sand away" in the same manner that boots and people traffic tend to wear away paint in the wingroot area. Time will tell how this turns out.

Cheers

ATIS

Finished the main painting of this Dora about 0545 this morning (hey, I'm a morning person by habit). Touched up a few areas, decided to paint on the defense yellow/white bands instead of the kit supplied decal. Saw different references calling for NMF on the bottom of the wings, but I followed what was in Jerry's book and used some RLM75 on the forward part of the wing.

Might end up using a whole bottle of Future gloss coating this sucker today. While that dries I will tackle the landing gear.

Hope to get the decals, some post shading (first for me, figured I would try on this kit) and weathering. Doubt it will be ready for our next Southern Maryland Modelers Club meeting, but it should be ready for the NOVA meeting next month.

Questions and comments are always welcome.

Cheers

ATIS

IMG_1585.jpg

IMG_1587.jpg

IMG_1588.jpg

IMG_1589.jpg

• 2 weeks later...