Alouette III "Killer Egg", 1/72 Heller

Although until some weeks ago I only owed two Alouette IIIs I regard this kit by Heller as one of my favorite model kits.

The first one I bought and built went straight into my personal "OpFor"-unit:

AlouetteF2.jpg

As you can see, the helo was desperetaly needed, and the new owners who purchased it from the french "Securité Civile" didn´t bothered much about giving it a new color since they were pretty busy with installing a FLIR and a 0.50 machinegun... ;-)

AlouetteF3.jpg

Well, some weeks ago I bought two additional Alouettes on ebay and here is the current one in progress. It´s the so-called "Killer Egg", and if you follow my report, you will know why I´m going to call it that name! ;)

Here a first glance at the cockpit, you can see that some new electronic hardware has been installed. I also added some ballistic armour to the seats.

IMG_2516.jpg

I do even have a crew, although these guys look a bit strange. They are german Wehrmacht soldiers in 1/87 scale by Preiser, but since they are small they fit perfectly into the cockpit.

IMG_2519.jpg

IMG_2520.jpg

Some closer look at the new installed MFD (some plastic-sheet, a MFD-decal and a small coat of clear green paint made it perfect) and the added weapon-joystick.

IMG_2521.jpg

IMG_2522.jpg

The model as it looks now, the weapons pylons are from a Revell Seaking MK.41.

DSC04211.jpg

DSC04212.jpg

And the port side,together with the engine, which got some added and scratchbuilt details.

DSC04208.jpg

HAJO

And on we go!

Most of the building-process is done, this is the result of the "clean" chopper:

DSC04219.jpg

And after some detailing it´s "dirty": :D

DSC04222.jpg

I added the TOW-weapon sight/target aquisition system and the FLIR-turret (can hardly be seen, it´s obscuring the front gear) from an Italeri AH-6A kit.

Also added were a cable cutter and a new exhaust pipe, made of a straw. It will reduce the helicopters IR-signature... hopefully. :P

Some more pictures:

DSC04224.jpg

DSC04226.jpg

HAJO

This is cool! I like Alouettes a lot and you're going a good job with yours.

I like the way you made the green-shaded windows on top. How did you achieve this?

Congratulations and keep it coming.

FAB

The helo will not sport any particular national insignia... It´s part of my "soldiers of fortune"-force and will fight at any place as long as the pay is worth it... :thumbsup:

For the green tilted windows I used window color for "normal" glas-windows. You have to be a bit careful when applying it because otherwise it will dry up with areas of much color and others with few, giving the window unwanted shades. But I´m pretty satisfied with it, and I prefer it over the Humbrol Window color. The Humbrol stuff can not be cleaned out of your brush, must be some really strange chemical thing...

HAJO

And some update. I painted the whole helicopter grey to make the following application of the camoflage easier. Although I kinda like the looks it has now with the grey...

Anyway, at least some of the details are now more visible:

DSC04231.jpg

DSC04233.jpg

DSC04235.jpg

DSC04237.jpg

HAJO

• 2 weeks later...

I applied the first half of the camoflage, using Revells Brown 84. It´s quite typical for me to fall in love with painted camos that aren´t finished yet, gotta love this brown and grey!

IMG_2525.jpg

IMG_2526.jpg

And a last one, using the flash. The colours look a bit strange because of that.

IMG_2529.jpg

HAJO

And the second colour, Humbrols green 117.

First set of pictures without flash.

IMG_2542.jpg

IMG_2541.jpg

IMG_2540.jpg

And some with flash. I like how the camoflage came out on this model.

IMG_2544.jpg

IMG_2539.jpg

HAJO

Cool camo! :thumbsup: Although I have to say the brown on grey looked pretty cool as well. :thumbsup:

Where are your soldiers of fortune gonna put this chopper to work? Central Africa? Latin America (protecting - or toppling - some drug lord?)?