Where to buy warhammer 40k figures?

I've been looking to get into figure painting, and I think I'm going to have to buy some of those Warhammer figures. The Tyranids are especially cool looking; they remind me of the Zerg from Starcraft, and the Alien "xenomorph".

Games Workop stuff is great, but it can get really expensive. And there's no real way to get bargains. On the other hand, they're getting more and more into injected styrene, which is great not only for the price, but also for the options regarding limbs, weapons, banners and all that. I have a Chaos Space Marine Terminator Lord and there are so many parts you can actually build two complete models (if you can get a second torso) and still have left-overs.

<...> wondering if theres such thing as counterfeit warhammer figures?

Apparently. One German White Dwarf had a page warning people of illegal copies. It seems some white metal figures were recast and sold on eBay.

<...> The Tyranids are especially cool looking; they remind me of the Zerg from Starcraft <...>

Akshully, the Zerg remind you of the Tyranids. :o I once had a heated discussion with a Blizzard-fanboi who claimed Games Workshop were copying Warhammer and Starcraft. :wave: Even when I told him Warhammer was about a decade older than Warcraft, he wouldn't have any of it. :monkeydance:

Edited by ChernayaAkula
Games Workop stuff is great, but it can get really expensive. And there's no real way to get bargains. On the other hand, they're getting more and more into injected styrene, which is great not only for the price, but also for the options regarding limbs, weapons, banners and all that. I have a Chaos Space Marine Terminator Lord and there are so many parts you can actually build two complete models (if you can get a second torso) and still have left-overs.

Apparently. One German White Dwarf had a page warning people of illegal copies. It seems some white metal figures were recast and sold on eBay.

Akshully, the Zerg remind you of the Tyranids. :o I once had a heated discussion with a Blizzard-fanboi who claimed Games Workshop were copying Warhammer and Starcraft. :wave: Even when I told him Warhammer was about a decade older than Warcraft, he wouldn't have any of it. :monkeydance:

I learn something new everyday!

Sometime soon I hope to get one of those Eldar Falcon Grav Tank kits. Doesn't look to be that expensive and it's a cool looking tank. Plus, it's injected plastic and not a big resin kit.

Edited by illithid00

My kids just got into Warhammer 40K. I guess that's what I get for taking them with me to the hobby shop. There's a club that holds games at the shop on Friday nights and my boys were fascinated with the figures and the vehicles. I finally broke down and let them get the Black Reach starter set. Since then they have accquired a few more sets. It has kept them occupied ever since. I've actually had a lot of fun helping them paint. It's let me use a little freedom and artistic licensce when it comes to painting that I don't enjoy with aircraft models. They aren't cheap though. Because I'm a club member my LHS gives me a 10% discount and that helps a little. We have also tried to get a few things off eBay but will stop when the maximum bid plus shipping is equal to what we would pay at the LHS. It seems that Games Workshop fixes prices and gives dealers very little leeway in pricing. In fact the last time we were in the shop the owner was mentioning that GWS just raised prices on select items.

Mark

• 1 year later...
I was wondering if there's a good online place to buy them out side of Game Workshop it self? I found these to be pretty fun to paint.

Check out www.wargamersworld.co.uk

This is a new online shop that has just been built and once it has it's full stock in the shop I'm sure you will find what you need at good value prices, and we will be giving up to 40% discounts to regular customers :whistle:

Edited by wargamersworld
I was wondering if there's a good online place to buy them out side of Game Workshop it self? I found these to be pretty fun to paint.

I like using The War Store. They have good prices, fast service and other stuff such as paints and building supplies. I use them all the time for my paints and green stuff.

ebay can be the way to go.

Like everything else there, just set yourself a max price including shipping lower than the discounted local shop price and wait.

If it is just painting you are into, try searching for a 'lot' of completed items sold as is.

some of the builds are pretty rough, but if it is just for painting you can pick up quite a few pieces cheaply, strip off old paint and have at it

The Space Marine and Imperial Guard vehicles are great fun to build, plus look great once done.

My Ultramarines Predator Destructor infantry support tank "Punio"

wh40k-predator-base08.jpg

wh40k-predator-base09.jpg

wh40k-predator-base10.jpg

The only problem with some of the more exotic armour is the removal of seams due to ill fitting parts. If you want a decent build, the seams have got to go. I have been building my Tau Hammerhead grav tank for the better part of two years and the putty work is daunting.

Love the game and have played it on and off for nearly 25 years. The Tyrannids were around then as well, first mentioned in Ian Watson's classic Warhammer 40K novel "Space Marine"

:worship:

MikeJ

Edited by madmike

Bought a lot of stuff at Amazon UK. With the weak pound and prices in Germany very high (they must have fixed the rates when the pound was really strong :cheers:) there were some real bargains to be made. Even figuring in shipping rates to Germany.

Nice Predator, Mike! :worship: The Aquila on the glacis plate looks like it was cast from real metal! :woo:

My son just got into this and has been looking for a source with good prices. Like models, how they expect a 10 years old get enough cash to build up his Army is beyond me. These things are really pricey!

I just spent Friday building diorama buildings and bridges for him. We've still got some tyranid things to paint.

-JS

...how they expect a 10 years old get enough cash to build up his Army is beyond me. These things are really pricey!

A few words of advice from one father of some young 40 K player to another: I would recommend staying small to start with and not buying too many minis until you know that your son really likes 40K and really likes a particular army, in this case the Tyranids. He may lose interest in the game altogether or dislike the Tyranids and want to become an Ork or a Daemon in a few weeks leaving you with a fortune worth of minis for an army that your kids have no interest in playing.

One of the good things about 40K is that even with a small number of minis you can still have really fun low point battles that are both a good way to learn the particular army and quick to fight. The quick battles really help keep a young childs interest better than 10,000 point weekend long battles. My youngest son is currently on his 3rd or 4th favorite army so I have been there. I'm still painting Orks from his first favorite army since I went crazy about getting him minis when he and his brother first started out. Now, until he really needs it, he doesn't get it and even then, since they know much more about the nuances of the game and the strengths/weeknesses of the armies our mini selections are much better directed to create a competative force.

Just some thoughts to consider....

• 2 weeks later...