DrPepperResins Tamiya 1/48th D model Conversion

Greetings all,

finally, i've succeeded. it's been a good 2 months plus of trial and error for the vacuum forming, buying a new oven specifically for it, importing PETG from the States (Vivak) and trying out some local alternatives. so here are some photos of it:

IMG_3855.jpg

IMG_3856.jpg

I will commence casting of the forward fuselage section, canopy actuator and support. Before i move further, i'd like to hear your opinions on this. the current set is sized for the Aires D model hasegawa cockpit (the Black Box one isn't easy to find). I need to know if you guys would like me to do a simple cockpit, for those of you that don't want to go the resin route (it would be a copy of the forward cockpit, just different IP, etc). or would you prefer i leave it as is, and you purchase the resin cockpit? i could do up a aft version of the existing fwd cockpit for somewhere around.. 10 to 12 USD?

a quick check shows the Aires D pit is available at spruebrothers.com for $37.49 USD.

or, would you rather a separate pricing to suit both? ie:

FWD fuselage + canopy + canopy actuator, support, frames - $16.99

aft cockpit set - $11.99

once i get that done, i'm gonna move on to the spine and convert this to an RSAF bird out of Luke AFB. Sufa options will be available too.

whaddya think?

drPepper

Edited by doctorpepper

IMHO to keep everyone happy two separate sets are OK. It keeps the price down from the buyers viewpoint and it can me a deciding factor to those that do not need the simplified cockpit or already have some resin cockpit. I would buy one that I know

Greetings all,

finally, i've succeeded. it's been a good 2 months plus of trial and error for the vacuum forming, buying a new oven specifically for it, importing PETG from the States (Vivak) and trying out some local alternatives. so here are some photos of it:

IMG_3855.jpg

IMG_3856.jpg

I will commence casting of the forward fuselage section, canopy actuator and support. Before i move further, i'd like to hear your opinions on this. the current set is sized for the Aires D model hasegawa cockpit (the Black Box one isn't easy to find). I need to know if you guys would like me to do a simple cockpit, for those of you that don't want to go the resin route (it would be a copy of the forward cockpit, just different IP, etc). or would you prefer i leave it as is, and you purchase the resin cockpit? i could do up a aft version of the existing fwd cockpit for somewhere around.. 10 to 12 USD?

a quick check shows the Aires D pit is available at spruebrothers.com for $37.49 USD.

or, would you rather a separate pricing to suit both? ie:

FWD fuselage + canopy + canopy actuator, support, frames - $16.99

aft cockpit set - $11.99

once i get that done, i'm gonna move on to the spine and convert this to an RSAF bird out of Luke AFB. Sufa options will be available too.

whaddya think?

drPepper

A D model conversion! Man that's like printing money. I'm sure this will be a big seller. I just hope for your sake Tamiya doesn't go and relase a D model kit. In my opinion, the likely hood of that is slim, I'm still waiting for them to release a F4F-3 Wildcat.

My input is to do the seperate pricing option. If I were to build just one I would like get the Aires cockpit. If I were to build more than one I don't think I would get an Aires cockpit for all of them. I don't think everyone is going want to spend that much on a cockpit and the Aires cockpit may go the way of the Black Box set and be hard to find in the future. If we can't get a rear cockpit tub, what good is the conversion?

Just my .02 worth.

Mark

Yeah man! Keep going! As soon as you get your set complete and sell a few, Tamiya will announce theirs! Isn't that always the way? You're acting as a catalyst without doubt!

:)

J

i forgot to mention that now i'm satisfied with the standard of the 48th canopy, once i get this done and cleaned up.. i can.. tackle a bigger scale.

as for being a catalyst: it took them about 3 years to come up with a LITENING II pod in 1/48th scale injection molded plastic. the sniper pod is nowhere to be seen.

Edited by doctorpepper

I love this and recommend that you do make the simple aft cockpit and sell the 2 items separately to keep the cost down. Me I am not one for resin cockpits, I like to have them closed and pilots seated. I bet with the price you listed for these 2 items and the cost of a CJ kit, it will be cheaper then when Tamiya actually releases a D model.

Hi guys,

thanks for your responses.

Well, regarding up-scaling to 1/32, it's not much of an issue, i just couldn't get a perfect canopy the last few times i tried. i tried a few new things with the 1/48 one and it worked, so i would be porting that over, after i'm complete with the 1/48 stuff.

thanks also for your responses - hearing you guys has convinced me that you guys want as many options as you can get.

and yes, the rear c/pit would have a seat. identical to the current one in the set.

it can't replace the Kinetic one as the Kinetic's nose is simply out of shape.

drPepper

^ No, the Tamiya kit has separate forward and rear fuselage top halves. It seems they designed the kit with a twin-seater in mind. When they will get round to actually release it, though... :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress updates to share:

IMG_3867a.jpg

for the D-conversion (the 2 items on the left), no cutting required, a new forward fuselage will be provided. working on the panel lines now..

you will also get a canopy, and a canopy actuator assembly (not pictured)

for the cockpit set (items on the right), it's in development. you will get:

a rear cockpit, joined with the rear wall of the front cockpit - thus, you only have to glue it in

rear cockpit sidewalls

rear cockpit panels

one ejection seat, no Seat Data Recorder

one rear instrument panel

one rear glareshield

one aft seat HUD monitor (ASHM) for options

one rear cockpit rear wall (sloped, not like the front one)

when combined, it'll look something like this:

IMG_3859a.jpg

IMG_3858a.jpg

IMG_3865a.jpg

Edited by doctorpepper

Dr.Pepper, just my opinion (there are no lines visible on your master), the line of rear tube edge looks little too much descending, what you think?

F-16D2-1.jpg

I am waiting in line too (even when I know that family model is next in line of bigT´s production line ;) )...

I am just talking, as I said, don´t see the details - the proper line could be discovered in family model plans - if you want I´ll scan some for you ;)

I've got two Tam CJ's in the closet and I'd take two of those conversions.

It looks great, I'm not a pro with the Viper but it looks good to me. I'd probably build one with the canopy up, resin office and the other canopy down, stock office.

Well done, Dr. Pepper.

• 2 weeks later...

The best way to make a conversion set, is to build one yourself.

So, here goes - building a Tamiya 48th D model bird.

what you will be getting in the cockpit set.

IMG_3871a.jpg

everything put together, ready for paint

IMG_3872a.jpg

now, i have to decide also what to build (in terms of markings), must be a GE bird (my stash ran out of PW Tamiyas for the while)

F-16D Block 30 87-0378 from Kunsan, 8th FW, Twobobs Decals 48-157

F-16D Chilean Viper 857, Twobobs Decals 48-171

F-16D IAF (either Valley SQN or that mean *** face)

F-16D 87-0375 from AfterBurner's Arctic Aggressor Sheet

F-16D 91-0464 from AB's sheet, Have Glass finish

your votes please..

i forgot to mention that now i'm satisfied with the standard of the 48th canopy, once i get this done and cleaned up.. i can.. tackle a bigger scale.

as for being a catalyst: it took them about 3 years to come up with a LITENING II pod in 1/48th scale injection molded plastic. the sniper pod is nowhere to be seen.

Kinetic has the Sniper Pod in their DJ kit..

DSC01498.jpg

• 4 weeks later...