DID get fooled again..

The latest trumpeted re-launch of the Humbrol range promised a return to quality.

But the new range is as bad as old range, the fourth time I`ve been fooled by a great `re-launch`. Another kit ruined!!!

Bye-bye Humbrol

Never, NEVER, again.

Very sad indeed.

Was the colours off? THe mixture something other then paint like? Like spreading loose sand? In the past I found the Humbrol stuff excellent. Still have a few old tins that work just fine. Just the last 3 or 4 tins have been rather poor quality.

I have had both issues and sadly have to agree that I do not see a return to them either. Model master has been getting the biggest chunk of my paint budget. Not to say I have had perfection from them either.

Apart from the spreading like sand, perhaps in the past I did not know the shade I was using was off .2% from perfect. Damn you internet!!!!!

Edited by phantom
Was the colours off? THe mixture something other then paint like? Like spreading loose sand? In the past I found the Humbrol stuff excellent. Still have a few old tins that work just fine. Just the last 3 or 4 tins have been rather poor quality.

I have had both issues and sadly have to agree that I do not see a return to them either. Model master has been getting the biggest chunk of my paint budget. Not to say I have had perfection from them either.

Apart from the spreading like sand, perhaps in the past I did not know the shade I was using was off .2% from perfect. Damn you internet!!!!!

I too used to swear by Humbrol, it is why I have given them every chance. Not anymore.

Paint tin quality issues first off. I often find tins have appeared to have `gone-off` somehow after first use. Yes, consistency is often bad, ranging from an apparent seperation of chemicals that won`t mix back together, to just lumpy (like porridge), or simply lacking adhesion. Then there is the Russian Roullette as to which shade of olive green (etc..) I will get this time round. The only certainty is that it will be different from last time I bought a tin of the same colour.

As for the spray cans, the problem seems to stem inside the can. Mine will not discharge as a spray but will slowly bubble the contents over my work top until the can is empty.

No amount of stirring of pots, or shaking of cans helps.

Tell as many as possible before they ruin their builds.

Avoid Humbrol like it was Black Death.

Its a shame you could always count on Humbrol for a good finish but since the drop in QC they are a real gamble as to what you get, I've switched to Xtracolour & WEM enamels now.

Andy.

Hi Guys,

I absolutely agree with all that you say. I like using enamel rather than Tamiya's or other acrylics, because you can thin them more and you get longer pot-life when painting out of them. I am now using revell's pots but they also have their problems too. i would like to use Testor (model masters) paints but there is no vendor near to where i live. so i stick with revell but i find that after opening the pot once, it then goes off and because very thick and lacks adhesion.

Maybe it is time to experiement further Lacquers?

I think that humbrol should read this post but the likelihood is that they already know, but still keeping pumping out the product on the market anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, please read carefully,

I emailed this forum to humbrol (club@airfix.com) and they sent me this reply

"Hi Gideon,

Thank you for bring this to our attention. Do you have the admin details for this forum? I apologise if you are the admin.

We would very much like to know what problems some of the forum members have been having with some of the Humbrol products.

Kindest regards

Dale

Airfix/Humbrol Team"

so any feedback about the problems you have experienced with the paints, they ask that you contact them about it at club@airfix.com.

regards,

Gidoen

Hi all,

just a thought, something i found out in the last couple of weeks.

Humbrol's re-launches fail to tell the customer information they need to know,

to whit:- .....the Humbrol acrylics range is optimised for application by airbrush.

If you have a problem with a product, tell the manufacturer:-

Hornby Hobbies, Westwood Industrial Estate, Margate, Kent. CT9 4JX. U.K.

My moan is that Q.C. DOES NOT WORK over 8000 miles.

H/Q - England, manufacture - China!

Even though, i think the tender was won by Windsor & Newton.

One person crying :P (moaning! :thumbsup: ) in isolation means nothing, BUT,

if everyone who is having / has had a problem sent in a "snail mail" complaint,

that would soon get things moving, but would probably result in Royal Mail going on strike,

because of 'overwork'! :D

I know coming on to a site such as A.R.C. and having a good old rant / moan

makes you feel that little bit better, but, it doesn't get a result, believe me

sacks and sacks of mail, day after day WILL! :thumbsup:

Hornby is the 'new' owner of both Airfix and Humbrol, they have at least

6 brand names to worry about, a mass influx of post regarding one

will at least bring that one to the fore, and possibly, just possibly, get things 'back on track'?

And Ian, if it fails, i recommend W.E.M. for enamels (obtain direct)

and Gunze for acrylics (available from M.D.C. in Derbyshire.)!!

:cheers:

Paul

Well I already posted on the quality in several postings! Also e-mailed the Dutch importer of Humbrol paints, and got an answer from humbrol after being told by their importer. After mailing them again about the quality of the paint and an not good answer from them I dropped using Humbrol and never buy this @$$#^again. Now that I read this answer from Dale, I am the one to say I am not forwarding any info but just tell every one not to use the humbrol paints any longer!

I'll do what Humbrol is not going to do, and post here my correspondence with Humbrol

Subject: Re: Call No: HH65246

Dear Mr X,

We, Hornby, have not changed the production of Humbrol paints in anyway since we purchased them in 2007 and this is not a problem that we have encountered before. I recommend you use Humbrol enamel thinners to avoid any difficulties.

Yours Sincerely

Mark Lodge

Customer Care

Subject: FW: Call No: HH65246 humbrol

Dear Mike,

Mr. X is not satisfied with the actual Humbrol paints as he wrote to Hornby before (see the emails below). The answer he got from your colleague don’t solve anything as he told me. He’s a real modeller and working with Humbrol for about 20 years now. Today he called me with his problems and he was also talking from an internet discussion about the Humbrol paints. See the addresses below. What can we answer him?

Dear Mr. X,

I understand from our distributor that you are having some problems when airbrushing with Humbrol enamel paint?

However, from your e-mail below it is unclear what the problems are?

First of all, I am not sure why you use Revell thinner when you say you have used Humbrol paint for 20 years! Surely, it would be better to use Humbrol thinner to see if the same problem exists? Are you sure it is not the thinner that is the problem?

Secondly, all enamel hobby paints including Humbrol, Revell etc had to undergo formulation changes about 9/10 years ago in order to comply with the Toy Regulations EN71. part 5 and consequently you will never have the same quality that you had some 20 years ago, no matter whose paint you use.

I am not sure how long you have been encountering this problem with our enamel paint and whether it is only on a specific colour or colours so, once again, it is difficult to advise you!

What ratio of paint to thinners do you use when airbrushing?

Should you require further assistance please let me have more detail and I will try to get an answer for you.

Kindest regards

Mike Phillips.

20/2/09.

http:// .arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=175427

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=177835

Your Message:

For years I have used Humbrol paints, never had any problem with it, but now I do have an problem and no idea what to blame other than that the current humbrol paint is very off standard. I use Revell thinner and after some time the paint is completely destroyed and when airbrushing I only get the thinner and not the paint. I have more than 20 years of experiance in airbrushing and never did have this problem. So I just hope that the current production will be changed to what it was! An solution to this problem I hope to get from you as well.

and am looking forward in hearing from humbrol if this problem is already known

Greetings

X

This last lines where never answered and one more reason not to buy anymore Humbrol paints!

It's a funny thing, but I've been using a lot of different Humbrol paints recently, and the ones that have given me the greatest trouble were the old ones. Every new-style tinlet I've bought has been fine, so far.

Thinner can make the difference. I've got some old (1990s) Humbrol thinner that will thin some enamel paints, others (including some old Humbrol) it separates out into a fine grit, which is why I tend to stick to pure turps for airbrushing because, in my experience, it pretty much works with all brands and produces a better finish (on the odd occasion when I do use enamels - I'm an acrylic guy).

Eric, having read your correspondence I think Hornby are trying to help you with your enquiry - this isn't meant to sound discourteous, but could I ask what kind of answer you were/are expecting or what you think they should do?

@ Jonathan

I have been waiting now for months for an good answer to the problems with the paints and airbrushing. So far nothing! I at least expect an answer that they are working on answers to solve the paint problems I have and many others who used Humbrol paints. As posted in the other topics the finish is like sandingpaper, and it happend with their own thinner, brandnew and new paint!

From what I understand by reading about the humbrol paints is that production went to China and in badtimes even the paints became useless and further damage on models as pure thinners went into the tins, causing damage on expensive models. I for one know that the Humbrol paints where very good and no problems ever with the thinner of Revell or any other thinner. Now the current paints have other pigments made by the chinese and other production methods. New formula of paint proved to be very bad when it comes to consistentcy and also makes it harder to thin with any kind of thinner.

New regulations from the EU ok nothing one could do about that, but as they stated in their answer all european brands have to confirm to those regulations but no one ever posted on changes in the quality of the paints. Model Master is good as are the X-tra colours. And they also have the same regulations in place.

Ian bought new formula of paints and did get fooled and it is very bad thing to claim new formula for the same bad quality of paints. New formula would mean back to basics produce the paint back in the UK, and if not possible work together with other paint brands like X-tra colour or W.E.M and market that under the Humbrol paint label.

Eric, I can only suggest you try contacting them again and outlining your issues. With regard to "new formula" I'm not sure what you're driving at there saying it would mean "back to basics produce the paint back in the UK".

You have had a response, which is more than can be said for a lot of kit companies, and means someone is prepared to listen to your concerns, so at least give them a chance to look into it.

Edited by Jonathan Mock