Being I'm new with the airbrush thing,can someone give me some tips on how to paint the OD over Gray on an aircraft? I'm guessing the Gray is first then the OD,but how do you feather it or make a 'soft' demarcation between the colors? Any help will be great! TIA!!

Being I'm new with the airbrush thing,can someone give me some tips on how to paint the OD over Gray on an aircraft? I'm guessing the Gray is first then the OD,but how do you feather it or make a 'soft' demarcation between the colors? Any help will be great! TIA!!

Mask with Blu-Tac.

What he said. I cut Friskit to the shape of the camo and then roll Blu-Tac into long 'worms'. Once I have the patterns cut out I tack them to the kit with the Blue-Tac, right along the edge of the Camo Pattern. This gives a nice feathered edge to the camo; the thinner the 'worms' the less feathered the edge. Or at least that works for me. I love the Friskit- works wonders. One buddy of mine just cuts the patterns from 40 lb stock paper (works for a paper company).

And yes, use Gray before the OD. I'd just prime the kit with the Gray.

If you can get your hands on some, try Tamiya Primer in the spray can....gooood stuff, two colos white or grey.....I'm gonna use both white for grey jobs and grey for green or other camou jobs. Makes for a better contrast grey paint and grey primer, hard to tell what's painted and what ain't as the grey primers are darn close the Ghost greys!!!

If you can get your hands on some, try Tamiya Primer in the spray can....gooood stuff, two colos white or grey.....I'm gonna use both white for grey jobs and grey for green or other camou jobs. Makes for a better contrast grey paint and grey primer, hard to tell what's painted and what ain't as the grey primers are darn close the Ghost greys!!!
So you got some, huh? :salute:

I have heard of people now talk about these masking camo shapes a couple times. Once on a testors scaleworkshop video with "Brett Green" on youtube where he was using "Black Magic Masks". The ones he were using were black sheets and they came precut. Also, the "Friskit" mentioned here seems to be along those lines.

I have tried searching for both of these all over the web and I can never come up with a camo pattern that you can cut out. Anyone know where I could get them?

PS. I do not mean at all to jack the thread

This is a very interesting topic. I'd like to improve the feathering on my color separations as well.

In the past I've had problems trying to use Blu-Tak as a mask. Seems like there was always some serious "bleed under."

Bled paint (Polly Scale) didn't dry properly and made a serious mess.

I wonder if I had the airbrush at the wrong angle? Should one shoot "away" from the mask edge? Does nozzle-to-model-surface distance factor into it? Is "ghosting" an effective technique?

I've also tried using strips of newspaper, "tacked down" with masking tape or Blu-Tac. Some excellent results, but also some very inconsistent effects. Again, angle of spray? Distance? (To quote Dr. Zeudberg) "What???"

:whistle:

Old Blind Dog

Edited by Old Blind Dog

The Blu-Tac mask method is the best, IMO, for achieving what you want, at least for now.

As you become more comfortable and skillful with your airbrush, you'll find that you'll be able to do it freehand. That produces the best feathering effect.

So, in the meantime, use some form of mask, but keep practicing and you'll be able to freehand these demarcation lines.

Mike

This is a very interesting topic. I'd like to improve the feathering on my color separations as well.

In the past I've had problems trying to use Blu-Tak as a mask. Seems like there was always some serious "bleed under."

Bled paint (Polly Scale) didn't dry properly and made a serious mess.

I wonder if I had the airbrush at the wrong angle? Should one shoot "away" from the mask edge? Does nozzle-to-model-surface distance factor into it? Is "ghosting" an effective technique?

I've also tried using strips of newspaper, "tacked down" with masking tape or Blu-Tac. Some excellent results, but also some very inconsistent effects. Again, angle of spray? Distance? (To quote Dr. Zeudberg) "What???"

Old Blind Dog

OBD,

With Blu-Tac, the proper angle would be 90 degrees, or even a bit more angled "away" from the mask edge. Also, make "snakes" of Blu-Tac so the mask edge is effectively a bit higher than the surface being painted.

I've also had success with small dots of Blu Tac holding up a paper mask that I cut out. The angle of painting is the same, and the whole idea is the same: if the mask is slightly (a few millimeters) above the target surface, you'll get that feathered effect.

:D

Mike