Today 16 Jun Tarpon

Does the Italeri kit allow for a Tarpon to be built, since the kit was built OOB. Nice paint finish!

Brad

Technically no. As far as I know there is no kit that you can build a Tarpon OOB. the Tarpon had a seat installed right behind the pilots seat and had British radio's installed. all it would take would be an after-market Avenger seat and a bit of time to build the radios.

pictures of my build.

001.jpg

053.jpg

001.jpg

Sean

Thanks for the info Sean but I don't think Brad was serious, I think he was asking if you could build a Tarpon as opposed to a "Tarpoon" as the article talks about... Brad was making a subtle criticisim I think.....On second thought maybe he was trying to point out that it couldn't be a Tarpon out of the box....Oh well who knows but it is a nice model (your's too Sean)....

Cheers

Bruce

P.S. I believe both builds also have the wrong lower rear fuselage side windows for a Tarpon....

Edited by RCAFFAN

Hi Bruce,

I wasn't being critical at all, I couldn't really see inside the middle section where the radio/navigator operator would sit, so I thought mabe Italeri snuck one on me under the radar. I have heard people speak of what may have been in the middle section on a Tarpon, but I would need pics of the middle section before I tackled a Tarpon for myself.

Thanks everyone

Brad

• 4 weeks later...

Hi to all. A nice build, but unfortunately the history is a little wrong! There were a lot of Kiwi pilots in the Fleet Air Arm, but no RNZAF Avengers.

The Royal New Zealand Air Force had two squadrons (No.30 and 31) that operated the TBF-1C in the Pacific, but not in co-operation with the FAA.

They were used in the operations to neutralise Rabaul at the top of New Britain in the South Pacific area, and co-operated with the US Navy and Army efforts to affect this.

They operated as dive bombers, and latterly were used to spray diesel fuel over the Japanese vegetable gardens around the area of Rabaul.

For more information, check out my website at http://rnzaf.hobbyvista.com/ and go to the Grumman Avenger pages.

Cheers,

Pete M.