Old School Models - part II

I have resurrected another old favorite from my past. This one is the Tamiya T-72. I made this in 1992 right after Desert Storm. This was before there was much out there for aftermarket stuff (we are so spoiled today). The Tamiya kit is still a good one but like all kits, much can be done to improve the basic model. I spent many hours adding electrical conduit and new mounts to the smoke launchers, also added a bunch of small parts to the turret (especially the 12.7mm MG). Everything was made from stretched sprue and plastic scrap. No PE or resin on this baby!

It took the lead spot on my model shelf for many years but at some point, it was deemed obsolete and transferred to the basement "boneyard" for long term storage. I ignored it for years but this week for some reason, my old models caught my eye and I decided to dust them off (this took quite a while) and snap some pics of them.

Anyway, here she is....

IMG_1788.jpg

IMG_1787.jpg

IMG_1801.jpg

IMG_1804.jpg

IMG_1803.jpg

IMG_1799.jpg

Regards,

John

Edited by 11bee

Nice work there John :thumbsup: Did the same kit at about the same time (constant media coverage is great inspiration!). Actually that period saw many of the tamiya tank kits built and painted and would love to post them here, unfortunatley they are probably land fill somewhere... I moved out and became a chef. While my parents kept my bedroom as it was, somehow all of my kits looked like dust to my mother. :)

Anyway, nice work on the T-72

a classic

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great build, I like it a lot and 10 out of 10 on the exhaust you got it perfect, in reality that is the dirtiest oiliest exhaust outlet you will find on any tank T54, T55, T* all included. Most guys forget that on these builds. :worship:

Here is a pic of a T-55's exhaust, Oily and wet

S4300045.JPG

Edited by Graemeb