Question about panel lines

Hello again my fellow ARCers!

Yesterday I finished the paint job for my 1.72 Hawker Hunter from Revell, It's the first time that I use my airbrush to do this paint scheme without any mask! I'm very happy with the results.

After checking the model yesterday I realize that I need more life in the panel lines (I did a pre-shading), I don't want to use oil paints because I had several bad experiences in the past with this (probably I'm using the wrong turpentine)...a friend recommend me to use a dark pencil to do this trick (I already bought a 8H pencil).

I want to hear some good advices from the experts! my kit already has a gloss cote, so It's ready to go!

Thanks in advance!

Beto.

Doh!

Very good point.

I have a friend who uses Tamiya clear "smoke" paint (acryl) on his natural metal finishes to darken panel lines after he paints on the Alclad. That may work for you. The effect is very nice.

Raised or Recessed panel lines? (And is that and African or Euopean Swallow?)

Recessed are optimal for washes. Raised are more optimal for pencil.

I use pencil in recessed lines and it's fine. A technical pencil with a 3B lead gets into the space nicely (although even then you need to chamfer the tip). I've always found that pencil on raised lines is slightly too shiny; using it in a recess helps to moderate that effect. Must be the shadows, or something.

I've always found that pencil on raised lines is slightly too shiny; .

I always seal with a dull coat, which removes the shinyness.

Yes, certianly you can mix & match any method on raised/recessed lines and still get very good results. The nice thing about pencil lines (except for fingerprint potential) is you can smear them and get a nice weathering/postshade effect also.

A few years back I build the classic Monogram F-102 Delta Dagger. Fit wasn't so pretty, so I would up loosing a lot of raised panel lines while eliminating seams. I simply "drawed" the panel lines back in- worked fantastic! A LOT easier than rescribing. I do this now for all the classic raised line Monogram kits I build where I loose a lot of raised panel detail.

Edited by toadwbg
I always seal with a dull coat, which removes the shinyness.

Yes, certianly you can mix & match any method on raised/recessed lines and still get very good results. The nice thing about pencil lines (except for fingerprint potential) is you can smear them and get a nice weathering/postshade effect also.

A few years back I build the classic Monogram F-102 Delta Dagger. Fit wasn't so pretty, so I would up loosing a lot of raised panel lines while eliminating seams. I simply "drawed" the panel lines back in- worked fantastic! A LOT easier than rescribing. I do this now for all the classic raised line Monogram kits I build where I loose a lot of raised panel detail.

Wow, that is a great idea. This gives me renewed hope for my 1/32 Hasegawa A4-E/F. The Skyhawk has raised panel lines, and, you could say I did not discover any innate ability at turning raised to recessed.

Edited by northeaste36
Can you elaborate on this a bit more for me? Sorry, I'm slow. I may want to try this and what like to see what is involved, technique and materials at least.
Sorry about that. I realize my comment was somewhat vauge. In post #23 and #24. After so much paint applied combined with light panel lines to begin with, most disappeared. I bought some Wentwerth water color pencil's at Michaels. I used Dyno tape as a guide and redrew all the panel lines. I kept the pencil really sharp, re-sharpinning every 2 to 3 strokes.

HTH