1/48 E-2C Hawkeye Coming From Kinetic Models

I'll be all over this one. Put me on the list!

I've never built a kinetic kit, but I've seem them in the box and built up. I think they look just fine built up.

I'm glad they decided to tackle this one. Kudos to them for doing something different.

I personally want one with all those propellers on it!

Now....if we can just talk them into doing a 1/48 King Air 350 and a 1/48 (or better yet 1/32) T-6A Texan II.....I'd be set.

JED

I'LL TAKE IT!

Knock Kinetic all you want. Their F-16's are good model kits. They took suggestions from modelers, they tweaked their molds, they fixed most mistakes They added 5 pounds of weapon sprues to each box. The kits cost less than either the Hasegawa or Tamiya kits (in the case of Tamiya, the Kinetic kit is HALF as much.) Have they had some subpar models in the past, sure. But so have ALL the other companies. If they put a Hasegawa label on the Vipers, the kits would easily be regarded at the top of the pile. But since they're not Tamigawa, folks are quick to malign them.

This will be the ONLY 1/48 Hawkeye available. O-N-L-Y. If you want one, you get Kinetic's. If they mold 3 engines on it, or leave off the rotodome, maybe I'll skip it. But as of today, it's high on my list.

I like so much the Kinetic Vipers, but in this case the future 1/48 Hawkeye, it's not the only one, the VERY EXPENSIVE Collect Aire also, oop now but sillt available at second hand.

Regards

Okay, let me rephrase: it's the ONLY 1/48 Hawkeye kit in production, that you don't have to hunt for weeks on Ebay or travel a thousand miles to a rare model show, camp out overnight to be the first person in the vendor room, still fight with someone over it, refinance your house to get, need to scratchbuild most of the details, get frustrated and leave it half-built in the stash for the next 10 years. O-N-L-Y.

Here's a shot of the Collect-Aire's engine nacelle/MLG bay. I wouldn't even consider this kit an option.

148_E-2C_11.jpg

Edited by RedHeadKevin
I was just informed by a LHS that the estimated retail price for this kit will be at around S$100 ~ US$70. At this rate, the kit had better come with positionable flaps, wingfolds, detailed interior and positionable hatches.

Mark

The 1/72 Hasegawa Hawkeye sells for around that much so I don`t see a problem with the price.

Perhpas the "Jets" and "Props" titles are a little bit obsolete. Maybe changing the forum titles to "Post WWII Military" and "WWII - Earlier" would make more sense and keep people with the same interests from having to search around too much.

That's how they do it over at Britmodeller and I like that format much better. I happen to prefer Cold War era aircraft and sometimes even some WWII birds, particularly those that saw service after the war. However, I have little to no interest in biplanes or even commercial jets, unless they modified for military use. Short answer, I would enjoy the format you mentioned much better!

Rick

Edited by madmanrick

Like all rumored releases I am cautiously optimistic. Like others have said, no matter what you opinion of Kinetic, it is the only 1/48 E-2 so it will probably sell pretty well. I will wait until I see some reviews/ sprue shots before I start to get too excited. It will be interesting to see if aftermarket decals/resins are made for this one since it is the only game in town there is no fall back market if the kit doesn't sell well. I would guess that most companies will take a wait and see approach.

Edited by graves_09

I have always loved the E-2. I recall days of sitting on the crows nest of the USS George Washington and watcging them land and take off. If I can ever afford it I would gladly buy and if the kit isnt the best, I'll make it the best!

I have always loved the E-2. I recall days of sitting on the crows nest of the USS George Washington and watcging them land and take off. If I can ever afford it I would gladly buy and if the kit isnt the best, I'll make it the best!

Thats the spirit!

I'LL TAKE IT!

Knock Kinetic all you want. Their F-16's are good model kits. They took suggestions from modelers, they tweaked their molds, they fixed most mistakes They added 5 pounds of weapon sprues to each box. The kits cost less than either the Hasegawa or Tamiya kits (in the case of Tamiya, the Kinetic kit is HALF as much.) Have they had some subpar models in the past, sure. But so have ALL the other companies. If they put a Hasegawa label on the Vipers, the kits would easily be regarded at the top of the pile. But since they're not Tamigawa, folks are quick to malign them.

This will be the ONLY 1/48 Hawkeye available. O-N-L-Y. If you want one, you get Kinetic's. If they mold 3 engines on it, or leave off the rotodome, maybe I'll skip it. But as of today, it's high on my list.

QFT, brotha!

Let us also remember that Kinetic is still a very new company, their F-16 kit was like their third or fourth kit ever.....and given their outstanding 32nd Sabre, I am willing to cut them a little slack.

Okay, let me rephrase: it's the ONLY 1/48 Hawkeye kit in production, that you don't have to hunt for weeks on Ebay or travel a thousand miles to a rare model show, camp out overnight to be the first person in the vendor room, still fight with someone over it, refinance your house to get, need to scratchbuild most of the details, get frustrated and leave it half-built in the stash for the next 10 years. O-N-L-Y.

Here's a shot of the Collect-Aire's engine nacelle/MLG bay. I wouldn't even consider this kit an option.

148_E-2C_11.jpg

I have the Collect-Aire kit. Mine shows virtually no warping. I have said it before, maybe i am lucky or maybe the other modeler got a very bad kit. when i saw that thread i inventoried every part in the box and they are fine for a resin kit.

Unfortunately, 2 data points still only give you a 50-50 shot and that is not good.

For me to buy Kinetic's offering it will have to be substantially better than the Collectaire kit

joe.

Even if this kit is up to the quality of the Collect-Aire kit, it will be 120 bucks cheaper, and I'll be able to find one. That's really my bottom line. I figure even if the plastic is not perfect, until aftermarket corrections add up to $120, I'm STILL coming out ahead.

I'm a little mystified that anyone is finding anything negative to say about this news. It's a 1/48 Hawkeye, people!

Even if this kit is up to the quality of the Collect-Aire kit, it will be 120 bucks cheaper, and I'll be able to find one. That's really my bottom line. I figure even if the plastic is not perfect, until aftermarket corrections add up to $120, I'm STILL coming out ahead.

I'm a little mystified that anyone is finding anything negative to say about this news. It's a 1/48 Hawkeye, people!

I am with on this, believe me. Life is too short for a big heavy resin kit, white metal gear and vac canopies. If the kinetic kit is really good, I will get one and the collectaire will go with the rest of my stuff in the last will and testament.

joe.

I was just informed by a LHS that the estimated retail price for this kit will be at around S$100 ~ US$70. At this rate, the kit had better come with positionable flaps, wingfolds, detailed interior and positionable hatches.

Mark

Actually, $70 wouldn't be all that bad. Doable...

And for the Special Hobby release, one reason it may have been over three years since it was announced is that they may have learned of a 'Far Eastern' mfg doing the kit. Sort of like what happened to the new tool Floggers from somewhere east of the Elbe a few years back (Roden I think).

Special Hobby had a *hitload of announcements a while back and not all have seen the light of day.

Here's to a successful release Kinetic, and don't forget there are lots of foreign users also.

Matt

travel a thousand miles to a rare model show, camp out overnight

Wow, travel thousands of miles and camp out! Dude you are a some serious modeler. I have never heard of someone camping out for a kit. Now, why did they cover that in the 6 O'clock news. They always show some idiot camping out for a video game or other junk...lol j/k

I have the Collect-Aire kit. Mine shows virtually no warping. I have said it before, maybe i am lucky or maybe the other modeler got a very bad kit. when i saw that thread i inventoried every part in the box and they are fine for a resin kit.

Unfortunately, 2 data points still only give you a 50-50 shot and that is not good.

For me to buy Kinetic's offering it will have to be substantially better than the Collectaire kit

joe.

Mine is definitely on the "better" side of the production.

Sponge