Thought I'd jump in here at the last minute. I'll be building AJ101 (red tailed bird) from VF-31 2006. The kit is Revell's 144th gem in the F-14A Jolly Roger's boxing. I'll be using the markings from the Dragon twin pack. I was originally going to build AJ100, but then I noticed this:

DSCN4374.jpg

Felix should face forward on each side. Funny, I've had these decals on hand for at least a year, yet I only spotted this today.

The Jolly Roger's boxing only comes with TF30 tailpipes, and having no spare F110 parts on hand I decided to make my own. I took some spare dragon TF30 tailpipes and cladded them with plastic card.

DSCN4372.jpg

Trimmed down and sanded a bit they look almost like closed F110 nozzles.

DSCN4373.jpg

The ejector seats get a bit of TLC.

DSCN4378.jpg

And I've assembled the forward fuselage.

DSCN4375.jpg

Hopefully more soon.

Chris

Hello Chris,

I think your F110 parts looks really good..you have worked that one well..

Your are doing a grand hard job on this....Post more as TOMCATS

are MY Favorites...

Looking forward to seeing more... :doh:

keep up the good work Chris...

HOLMES :jaw-dropping:

Edited by HOLMES

Love your work Chris. My 6 year old daughter is doing a similar (Revell 1/144) kit that her brother-Chris gave her. It will be a Grim Reaper Tomcat when she's done. My son's 1/72 Tomcat build is below.

Regards

Andrew :jaw-dropping:

Love your work Chris. My 6 year old daughter is doing a similar (Revell 1/144) kit that her brother-Chris gave her. It will be a Grim Reaper Tomcat when she's done. My son's 1/72 Tomcat build is below.

Regards

Andrew :cheers:

Andrew, With the utmost respect to Christopher C and not wishing to hijack your thread but thought Andrew, you should have a look at a thread titled " F-14A Landing on Carrier:FINISHED,Eighth MID project". your daughter will like to see what has been done there ....

It is listed in the Jet modeling section of the Forum....

HOLMES

Thanks for the comments guys. Holmes, I remember that diorama you mentioned, it's stunning. One day I want to do my own carrier landing diorama in this scale.

Some more progress, the seats are painted.

DSCN4384.jpg

I put another coat of mr surfaces on the tail pipes and sanded them some more.

DSCN4386.jpg

I thinned down the intakes, here's a before and after.

DSCN4385.jpg

And I changed the engine fairings using tamiya putty to more accurately reflect the D variant. I got the idea for this method from Paul Nortness's thread.

DSCN4387.jpg

I also filled some erroneous detail, the extra set of air vents on the top of the fuselage, and the gun vents that aren't appropriate for this version. I might be ready to start painting tomorrow.

Chris

Thanks Anders! I used a combination of small files and my exacto to thin out the trunks. I reckon it'd be possible to do once they're attached, but a little trickier.

Got some painting done today. I did a little pre-shading. You can also see I've used the BOL sidewinder rails included with the dragon boxings. I also grafted dragon's Lantirn pylon onto the revell stub.

DSCN4393.jpg

The "pencil" nose. You'll note I haven't masked the canopy frames. The revell VF-84 boxing includes decals for these, so I'll use them instead.

DSCN4394.jpg

The underside, the ventral fins are painted by hand.

DSCN4395.jpg

I've also corrected the lantirn pod from the dragon boxing. For some reason dragon cast their pod upside down, or mirrored. To fix it I re-shaped the vent on the side and rotated the seeker head by 180 degrees (well, not quite 180, I'll have it pointing off to one side).

DSCN4391.jpg

Just a gloss coat to go and I can start decalling.

Chris

I've got most of the decals on now. Dragon's red tailed decals needed some modification. They had incorrectly been designed to cover the whole tail, instead of stopping short of the leading edge. As there was detail on the leading and trailing edge of the decal that I wanted to preserve, I sectioned it as shown below.

DSCN4399.jpg

It settled down ok with the some decal softner, but the joins and patches can still be seen. If anyone has suggestions on how to hides these I'd love to hear them. Looking at these pictures I just realised I should have used this opportunity to put spaces in the carrier name. Oh well.

IMGP0282.jpg

Using a small brush and a few shades of ghost grey I tried to make the paintwork look more patchy and worn. I think it looks ok, but it might need a thin coat sprayed over the top to blend it together.

IMGP0275.jpg

IMGP0285.jpg

IMGP0277.jpg

Chris

Thanks for the suggestions limyc. I've tried several coats of future, have to see what it looks like with a flat coat on top.

Here's a pic of the stores I'll be attaching. Also need to do a sparrow missile for the left glove pylon.

DSCN4413-1.jpg

And the landing gear

DSCN4414.jpg

Nearly done now but probably won't get this finished by tomorrow.

Chris