1/48 Bell 430 in progress

Hey Gang,

I'm still in the modeling game! I know I have made a lot of text posts but now it's time to post some pics to back up my posts.

So here it is. I have officially started my 1/48 scale Bell 222B to a Bell 430 conversion project. I'm using the Hobbycraft kit to do this as I have plans for my other two 222s planed for 230's. Feel free to see my hobby page on this project. The 430!

Tgoetz, eat your heart out! :thumbsup:

Enjoy!

John

• 2 months later...

Looking great John! And yes I am envious. Also glad you choose the Survival Flight bird. Always liked the blue and yellow together. Maybe this will help enspire me to get back to work on the B412. Keep the pictures coming.

Todd

Edited by Tgoetz

Hey Todd and everyone,

Thanks for the inquire. I did a few things since my last post but not enough to post anything of interest yet. Not to mention I'm working on four projects at one time. You can't build just one model. LOL!

Regarding the strength of styrene. Good question. It will depend on sheet thickness. It is soft and plyable but can be strengthened by building the thickness up and carefully building overlaps on high curves and joining sections. Like brick laying so to spaeak. Then using filler compounds like Squadron putty and sanding to shape. The bonding cements are ideal because they weld the plastic together. As to sway and buckle. Everything is limited to the type of application. For what I am doing, no.

I've also been working on a 1/48 and 1/32 BO-105CBS conversion and that small things require a lot of detail work. Some of you know what I am talking about.

Also, I just had some surgery this week and am slowing working on some stuff as part of my recovery. So I'll try and post some pictures. Keep in mind my camera is not the greatest. It will be trile and error.

I did convert my two bladed rotor mast to a four bladed mast. I will have to scrath the complete rotor head and blades.

I think I will need to do some hand drawings to show in detail how I did my extention. Beleive it or not, that's the esiest part.

Todd, so good to hear from you! How's the newsest addition to the family been doing?

What?, you haven't finished the 412 yet? LOL!

Thanks for following the project guys!

Best wishes to all

John

Hey Compucrap

I would love to see your work when you get started. I have two Dauphin kits and plan on doing there Daulphin also because they are joint in a PART 135 with our local Toledo St. V Life Flight who also has a Dauphin which I will plan on doing.

Thanks for all the kind words guys, now to get back to work. LOL!

Best wishes to all

John

St.V's LifeFlight still fly Dauphin's? Last one I seen from them was an A-109.

FYI Survival Flight is the University of Michigan Program in Ann Arbor not Grand Rapids. AeroMed, Operated by Spectrum Health in Grand Rapids flies S-76's.

Nice work so far! I look forward to the next update.

MarkM1245

"Survival Flight is the University of Michigan Program in Ann Arbor not Grand Rapids." My Bad! Brain fart! I clearly got lost. LOL! Duh!

One of their ex-pilots now flies for UH MedEvac in Cleveland.

Grand Rapids AeroMed just got new S-76C's. One of their pilots (Brad) used to fly for a defunct program (EAGLE) that was in my area back in the 80's. He was from Austria. Impressive pilot. He also worked on helicopters.

St. V's Life Flight has only one Dauphin now that they fly as a backup ship. The rest are A-109 Powers. I got to see their 109's up close. Sweet machine!

Cheers

John,

Iam sorry for asing you such stupid questions, but you know how the Jet modelers sometimes have a hard time fitting the wings and other parts,

well for the Helos, do you have to ever adjust the Rotor blades to fit them prefectly or do they come perfectly made so you have

no adjustments to make... Because when you guys make the Helos IT LOOKS PERFECT ....

and I have read your report againn and still feel that this will be such a great build and looking forward to seeing more pics... :bandhead2::woot.gif:

Thank you for your patience..

HOLMES... :salute:

Good question Homes.

Us helicopter builders have fitting issues too. Any model builder of any kind will run into fitting problems. The majority of fitting problems is because of the injection molding process where parts tend to warp or creep. It's the nature of injection molding. Either you're lucky to get a good molded kit/part or not. Time, temperature and pressure.

Their are several here who have some neat tricks in dealing with these issues.

Cheers

Good question Homes.

Us helicopter builders have fitting issues too. Any model builder of any kind will run into fitting problems. The majority of fitting problems is because of the injection molding process where parts tend to warp or creep. It's the nature of injection molding. Either you're lucky to get a good molded kit/part or not. Time, temperature and pressure.

Their are several here who have some neat tricks in dealing with these issues.

Cheers

i guess i missed it. i only see the 2 pictures under the original link "the 430". did i miss something?

John,

Looking at your workbench and projects is such an inspiration! The conversions and bodywork are seamless. It is great to see so many subjects/versions you have created that are not available in kit form. I keep going back to your website to admire your work. Glad you are on the mend, and look forward to seeing more of your progress.

David