I was planning my future builds recently, and, after some thought, hauled out my selection from the stash.

Upon closer inspection of the kits I have some questions for you guys.

I'm not too concerned about 100% accuracy,more the fit and detail so bare this in mind when replying please :thumbsup:

1. Academy Mig-21PF

Good?

Any other 21's around currently better than this?

2. Academy Hawker Hunter FGA.9

Whats this build like?

Any other manufactuers released this or other version in 48th?

3. Hobyy Boss Mirage III CJ

From initial inspection this looks like a super kit, decals look ace. Right?

4. Italeri F-22 Raptor

I heard this is not at all accurate, was tooled before production a/c was available based on a prototype??

Easy build? Fitwise?

Any other 22'savailable in 48th?

5. Revell and Italeri F-5Es

Kits look very basic. Are they same tool?

Hardly any detail, and cockpits/seats are lacking any detail. Comments?

Thanks!

I can answer #4

Academy put out an Awesome F-22 in 48th.

- Matt

I second that! I have the Italeri Raptor, and I think that I am going to make it a "Starscream" from Transformers because it is so outclassed by the new Academy kit. Does not mean it is not worth building, everything is worth building. Main thing is have fun with the kits you have...

1. Academy Mig-21PF

Good?

Any other 21's around currently better than this?

Nope. Eduard have announced a whole family of Fishbeds in 1/48, but until then, Academy is pretty much it other than the early 1970s Revell MiG-21PF.

2. Academy Hawker Hunter FGA.9

Whats this build like?

Any other manufactuers released this or other version in 48th?

Nope. Other than an ancient Japanese 1/50 scale kit, Academy is it. Not bad, but not perfect. The landing gear and wheels are woefully under scale. Detail is very basic.

5. Revell and Italeri F-5Es

Kits look very basic. Are they same tool?

Hardly any detail, and cockpits/seats are lacking any detail. Comments?

The only two F-5E kits ever done in 1/48 have been the very good Monogram kit and the so-so ESCI kit. Since Italeri now owns the ESCI molds, that's what's in their box. But since Revell of Germany has cooperative agreement with Italeri, as well as with Revell of the US (who has all the Monogram tools), I'm not sure which of them is in Revell's box. But IMHO the Monogram kit is by far the best of the two.

J

1. Builds easily. Reasonably accurate. Major glitches: the wheel well bulges are in the wrong location (noticeable side-on and looking at the fuselage halves, not really noticeable when it's actually built - the bulges above and below the wing should line up, but they don't) and the MF is actually a bis - the spine tail are accurate, but not for the version the kit claims to be. This isn't an issue with the PF, though. Only real fit issues are around the airbrakes - the fuselage is split here, and you can end up with a tricky to fill seam... unless you close the 'brakes.

2. Nobody else is even close, really. The only real competition is the Aeroclub kit, but it's limited run, and not substantially more accurate (and it'll be less detailed). Academy builds easily. Surfacce detail is nice. "Interior" detail is lacking (cockpit, wheel wells, etc.) Cockpit is weak and the seat is terrible (it's 1/72), but the cockpit gets painted black, so detail may not be a massive issue for you. I'd still look for a replacement seat, at least, though. There are some accuracy issues - the wheels are off, as are the landing gear struts. There are some problems with vent locations and precise surface details, which most people will ignore. IIRC there was an issue with the parabrake. And the canopy is tooled with framing at the back, when there shouldn't be any. Aeroclub does an update/correction set which addresses those issues (vac replacement canopy, metal wheels and struts, plastic empennage, etc)

3. Kinda tricky. It's based on the Eduard kit. Decals are worse than Eduard's. Surface detail is heavier than Eduard's. But they corrected some of the minor inaccuracies of the Eduard kit. Bit of a toss-up, really.

4. Terrible kit. It's wildly inaccurate - there isn't a single square inch on the kit that doesn't need correcting. Build is rough - the fuselage is split and most people have major issues with it. Get the Academy kit - which is around the same price anyway.

5. As Jennings said, Revell Monogram's is their own tooling, Italeri's is the ESCI tooling. Revell Germany could be either one. Revell Monogram's has raised lines (FWIW). I have a vague recollection of the Esci being recessed, but could well be wrong.

The 1/48 AC F-22A Raptor is on the Hannants Future Releases page. No price, yet.

I'm waiting for one also.

Regards,

Gerard

Rumour has it that it isn't going to be released over here for a while, mainly due to the expected price tag being something in the region of £65 - £70...

Rumour has it that it isn't going to be released over here for a while, mainly due to the expected price tag being something in the region of £65 - £70...

Relish Models have a couple in stock at the moment here. I think Graham imported them personally pending appointment of a new UK importer.