Question on Su-27 wheels

I'm planning to build an Su-30, from a Berkut (the brand, not the airplane) 1/72 Su-37, It will be a major conversion (at least I've stretched the fuselaje by 6 mm and will stretch another 3 mm at the rear part). I have some spare parts from Italeri Su-27 and "so called" Su-33. I've noticed that the Italeri main gear wheels are bigger than Berkut's, so, I want to know the actual diametre of the wheels, then I'll use the right set. About the nose gear wheels: I'll use the Italeri landing gear with some modifications. I hope the wheels have the right size, if not, I have the Berkut wheels. I think I'll need the nose gear wheels' actual size. I think I've seen that info somewhere, but I can't remember where. Thanks a lot in advance. Best regards.

José.

I will have to check my references in my home copmuter this night so that I can tell the measured size.

As far as I know,the wheel size of Su-27 and Su-33 is the same.

But the wheel hub is different(both front gear wheel and main gear wheel).

I would recommend you the Equipage rubber tires+resin hub.

They are excellent in details and size.

I bought mine from Guy@Linden Hill Imports.

Here is one picture from Scalemodel.ru just FYI.

(Oddly I cannot find wheel hub pics of standard Su-27 on Internet right now......)

Su-33:

DSC07793.JPG

BTW,the updated Su-27SM use the same main wheel hub as Su-33 according to my picture references.

My 2 cents,

Yufei

The mainwheels on a Su-27 are KT-156D with a size of 1030 x 350mm

The single nosewheel is a KN-27 sized 680x260 mm

The twin nosewheels on the Su-35 (old one) and Su-30MK are 620x180 mm - the Su-33 twin nosewheels are the same size.

Sizes for the Su-34 are :- KT-206 mainwheels 950x400mm, nosewheels KN-27 680x260 mm

I'll let you do the conversion (1030 / 72 for the Su-27).....

There are two styles of mainwheel hubs - early ones had a single hole in the centre with a wire 'cross' piece, later ones had a series of concentric small holes - both styles for brake cooling.....

flanker_hubs.jpg

The early style ones are in the Airfix, Heller & Hasegawa/Revell Flanker kits - so need to be replaced by the excellent Equipage sets.

The nosewheel in the Airfix kit is also an early version - with three holes in the FOD guard.

All single-nosewheel Flankers standardised on the later style one-hole version.

I hope that ICM pick this up in their 'upgrade' :pray:

Ken

The early style ones are in the Airfix, Heller & Hasegawa/Revell Flanker kits - so need to be replaced by the excellent Equipage sets.

Ken

Now the question is, where can one buy Equipage wheels? The lindenhill page shows the su-27 wheels sold out and discontinued.

Now the question is, where can one buy Equipage wheels? The lindenhill page shows the su-27 wheels sold out and discontinued.

You have hit upon the problem.......

Equipage wheels are excellent - but distribution is a bit hit-and-miss.

I picked mine up in a model shop in Moscow - but even they had only one set :monkeydance:

As with most garage/aftermarket enterprises, I suspect that Equipage is a one man band - and only produces stuff when he can get supplies of resin/rubber etc.

He might not even be trading any more......

I would have thought that the likes of Aires or Quickboost would have come up with something, the potential market for Flanker aftermarket stuff must be quite big.

But, as ever, we Flanker fans are the poor relations when it comes to kits and goodies....... :bandhead2:

Ken

As for Equipage tires,try Armory online shop from Ukraine.

They accept Paypal as I was told by the owner Taras.

Another good news is that it seems Equipage picked up their business again recently,with some new pruducts such as 1/72 An-12 tires.

Hope that could help.

Yufei

Just to clarify my previous post, the Linden hill equipage product page hasn't been updated since 2008. It had a note stating Equipage was discontinuing their products and some of the list were already marked as sold out. Well, anyways sent them an email yesterday after replying to this thread, and got an answer today, they have 1/72 Su-27 wheels. I guess, like Haneto said, seems Equipage picked up their business again.

Edited by Inquisitor
Just to clarify my previous post, the Linden hill equipage product page hasn't been updated since 2008.

Not true. I update the Equipage page virtually on a weekly basis to reflect which sets have sold out. The last announcement on Equipage dates back to August 2008 and is still valid.

The Aboimovs (Equipage) have indeed ceased in-house production. The tyre factory where they sourced their raw materials has closed down, plus one of the brothers got married and the other got a better job, leaving little time for their hobby business.

Equipage do on occasion ship sets to me, but they outsource manufacturing and have to use silicon instead of rubber for the tyres (which is much more expensive).

I actually just received a new batch of 1/72 Su-27 wheels (along with Tu-16K and An-24/26 sets). I will update the Equipage page to reflect this later this week. The wholesale prices charged to us almost doubled since production was outsourced, so be prepared for this to be reflected in the retail prices.

Not true. I update the Equipage page virtually on a weekly basis to reflect which sets have sold out. The last announcement on Equipage dates back to August 2008 and is still valid.

The Aboimovs (Equipage) have indeed ceased in-house production. The tyre factory where they sourced their raw materials has closed down, plus one of the brothers got married and the other got a better job, leaving little time for their hobby business.

Equipage do on occasion ship sets to me, but they outsource manufacturing and have to use silicon instead of rubber for the tyres (which is much more expensive).

I actually just received a new batch of 1/72 Su-27 wheels (along with Tu-16K and An-24/26 sets). I will update the Equipage page to reflect this later this week. The wholesale prices charged to us almost doubled since production was outsourced, so be prepared for this to be reflected in the retail prices.

How would you describe the quality of the new tyres/wheels?

I was quite satisfied with the ones I ordered from you although some sets had a bit soft detailing.

Nice to know the Flanker wheels really are back.

Found some pictures of Equipage tires(all in 1/48).

Pay attention to the main gear wheel hub---Su-27 ones is different from Su-33's(upper right one).

Good job,Equipage!

Su-27:

EQG48051.jpg

Su-33:

EQG48055.jpg

Yufei

You are absolutely spot on, Yufei - the Su-27 & Su-33 wheel hubs ARE different..... :)

I had never noticed before - I must be getting old..... :woot.gif:

I looked through my collection of photos for these....

Su-27 ..........

wheels_01.jpg

Su-27 ................

wheels_02.jpg

Su-33 .... note the four 'cutouts' around the inner rim.....

wheels_03.jpg

Su-33 ....

wheels_04.jpg

Note that the Su-33 has a fatter leg with tie-down rings - and a bigger, beefed up locking mechanism.

Interestingly, the new Su-35 has a variation on the Su-33 style - this is 901 at MAKS 07....

wheels_05.jpg

Note also the different colours - if anyone says your green wheel hubs are wrong - show them these photos !! :woo:

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

Thanks a lot for the real thing photo,Ken!which explained perfectly.

So many details available nowadays but even not an accurate Flanker kit available......

What a shame/waste! :worship:

(what makes me think about that pending Gr**t W*** kits......)

How would you describe the quality of the new tyres/wheels?

I was quite satisfied with the ones I ordered from you although some sets had a bit soft detailing.

Nice to know the Flanker wheels really are back.

The new sets contain resin wheel hubs retooled and cast by Yevgeny at Heliborne before he fell ill earlier this year. Although they're no longer cast in 'wheel hub green' resin, they do show finer detail. The tyres are molded in black silicon. I also have the Su-30MK/33/35/37/Berkut set back in stock.

http://www.lindenhillimports.com/equipage.htm

• 1 year later...
As for Equipage tires,try Armory online shop from Ukraine.

They accept Paypal as I was told by the owner Taras.

Another good news is that it seems Equipage picked up their business again recently,with some new pruducts such as 1/72 An-12 tires.

Hope that could help.

Yufei

Haneto please could you confirm that there are Equipage An-12 wheels ?

I do not see them on their catalogue and i thought that there were only pe sets and decals as aftermarket for roden An-12(not a single resin product).

Edited by flanker