VF-84 Jolly Rogers over Pyramids

DN-SC-91-03119.jpg

PHAA Sean Linehan

Well, at least they still have the pics of VF-84 when they were doin' some stuff on the Abraham Lincoln back in '90. Is it just me or maybe a very bright sun-shiny day, but does that paint look a little light?

V.C.

That is the scheme adopted for the Nimitz 87 cruise and for awhile after that.. Looks like a very bright day. Plenty of pics of that scheme around.

What I am looking for are the overall Gull Gray with all black bones AND AJ on the outside of the tail from about 1984/5, and the initial TPS scheme from 1983-85.

Edited by DutyCat

What I am looking for are the overall Gull Gray with all black bones AND AJ on the outside of the tail from about 1984/5, and the initial TPS scheme from 1983-85.

Oh, yea. I know. No, this was just me checking out that website to see what they had left of the old VF-84 pics. I was thinking, maybe the exposure wasn't set right on the camera in this pic. The grays, I thought, were Medium Gray, Dk Ghost Gray & Lt Ghost Gray. This photo looks like just Dk Ghost Gray & Lt Ghost Gray.

As far as what you're looking for, I've been looking for it for years. Not until the pic that Reddog put up, have I ever seen a photo of that scheme. I had always thought that superscale had screwed up and made the decals off of a black and white photo of an early TPS scheme, and just guessed it was gull gray. I just wish Reddog could confirm that the #201 in gull gray was the same #201 in the other picture that was in TPS scheme (the same pertaining to the BuNo.)

V.C.

PS: I'll try to post those pics of the CAG plane from the last Nimitz cruise later tonight.

That is the scheme adopted for the Nimitz 87 cruise and for awhile after that.. Looks like a very bright day. Plenty of pics of that scheme around.

DutyCat,

I've put some pictures up of the VF-84 CAG bird from early '87 on the Nimitz... the one that looks like the Teddy Roosevelt CAG with the Gray tails, but it has black tips instead of the yellow. I didn't know if you've ever seen this one. I put 'em in the research section. Enjoy.

Wish I could help you out on the gull gray bird from '84/'85.

V.C.

V.C.,

I made some comments about your pics.

It appears that the GG with black bones AND AJ on the OUTSIDE of the tails is the rarest of JR cats. So far only ONE photo of the scheme has emerged.

I am going to assume that the MS/SS sheet is more or less correct, based on that photo.

V.C.,

I made some comments about your pics.

It appears that the GG with black bones AND AJ on the OUTSIDE of the tails is the rarest of JR cats. So far only ONE photo of the scheme has emerged.

I am going to assume that the MS/SS sheet is more or less correct, based on that photo.

Indeed. The MS/SS 1/48 scale sheet shows an anti-glare panel, but Reddog said he thinks it was closer to the 1/72 scale sheet that has no anti-glare panel. Thanks for the comments.

V.C.

• 4 months later...
Some great pics in this thread....does anyone have any images of VF-41 jets from the same time frames??

Sure, but I am at work. I have some from the 83 cruise. Nothing special, though. Just GG with a dark gray ace and red flash behind it. What are you looking for?