Hey Everyone,

I started my 1/144th Blue Angels project. I'll be building two Revell of Germany F/A-18s utilizing Jasmine Models decals. I plan on posing the two opposing solos in the "Knife Edge" pass. Something like this: 2007-ba_20.jpg

(photo courtesy of the USN Blue Angels site)

So far I've filled in the pylon holes, removed the ailerons, glued the landing gear doors shut, back-dated the vertical stabs, and worked on the cockpit. The pilots are from OzMods and I still need to finish painting them.

DSCN3090.jpg

Until next time :jaw-dropping:

John

Edited by John King

Small update today. I finished painting the pilots and the cockpits. I added seat harnesses from masking tape; I'm not 100% happy w/the width of them, but I think they'll do.

DSCN3091.jpg

John

I made some progress tonight. I had hoped to make more, but then I realized that the pylons on the sides of the intake/gear wells are not really shown on actual Blue Angels jets. So, out w/the sanding sticks and a few minutes later , they were no more. I still need to do a little touch up.

DSCN3095.jpg

Fuselages together.

DSCN3096.jpg

Cockpit shot.

DSCN3098.jpg

By chance does anyone know roughly how far apart the two jets are when they perform the knife edge pass?

John

Starting to look more like F/A-18s.

DSCN3100.jpg

The canopies have been dipped in Future and need some time to cure. There is still some work to be done around the radome-fuselage join. I hope I can get a primer on it this weekend and see what flaws await me!

Super cool!! Great idea and the Blues look like they're gonna be hot.

1 thing if it's still possible to change is the visors. The Blues fly with specially made gold visors. The silver visor is on the blue helmet for VIP riders.

Can't wait to see more!

-brian

Looking really good John ... Great idea for a dio !

The Blues use the general rule of the width of a runway for opposing pass separation ...

Some times it looks closer to me though, especially when they perform over water ...

Gregg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Don't worry guys; this one hasn't been put on the back burner, I just haven't had a lot of time to model lately. I did get all the filling and sanding done and I glued the canopies on...after which I noticed a problem: the instrument cover started to fog up from the glue! Thankfully I was able to pop the front windscreen off and repaint it. Maybe this weekend I'll get some paint on them!

:yahoo:

John

• 4 weeks later...

Well I managed to finish my new spray booth (well, finished enough to paint my Blues). I still need to add a filter on the spray booth and paint the whole thing, but that can wait.

DSCN3171.jpg

So, all was going well with the painting...

DSCN3169.jpg

until I spilled some of the paint on this one.

DSCN3170.jpg

Thankfully, I'm using Model Master Acrylics, so I was able to quickly wash away the mess. I'll let it dry and be able to touch it up tomorrow, and add another coat to the first one, I hope.

Till then,

John

Edited by John King

Decals went on amazingly! I could not believe how well these worked!

DSCN3208.jpg

DSCN3205.jpg

The only issue I had with the decals is that the Blue Angels badge on the front fuselage is too big. Other than that, awesome decals!

I only have a few things left to do:

-touch up some of the decals

-paint the wing tip rails (don't know why I didn't do that first...)

-sand down the tips of the vertical stabs (I didn't notice they were so misshapen until after decaling)

-add the exhaust

-add the "smoke tube thing"

I can't believe it's been a 3 month project, but the models will be done by the deadline! Still don't know how I'm going to paint the base. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

John

Edited by John King

Man, those DO look great! :thumbsup:

Good to see the colours of the decals are that nice and, judging from the photos, cover the blue very well.

Regarding the base: How about a water base? Like the display they fly during Fleet Week in SF.

Your spray-booth looks pretty cool, too. :whistle:

I'm calling this one done. I might reform the acrylic rod or maybe add something to the base, but the models are done.

DSCN3213.jpg

DSCN3215.jpg

DSCN3220.jpg

DSCN3221.jpg

DSCN3225.jpg

This was a fun project. I have a feeling I'll be building some more in-flight 1/144th models.

:rolleyes:

John