Nats......lack of interest

With the Nationals only several weeks away, I find it a bit alarming with the post count on the subject. It's been days since anyone's said anything. Last year, with just weeks to go, the chatter was heavy. Am I the only one that's finds this puzzling? What's going on? Did I miss something??

Jerry

Their website has not been updated in over 2 months. I am looking forward to the convention and seeing old friends and making new ones. I am not sure what is going on but convention chatter is quite low this year.

Mike

I'm sure it will be a very good Nationals......the fact you can visit the USAF museum while you are there makes this Nationals particularly attractive.

I'm not sure why there is a lack of chatter........the economy is doing pretty good.......most people still have their jobs, so I doubt that is having much of an impact on this years event.

Honest, partly due to the economy, partly lack of on-line "pimping" their end....while a Nats can sell itself I noticed the ones I've attend that had club members "selling" on the net generated a buzz that's lacking this year.

The website not being updated has'nt helped.

And not to put too fine a point on it, Columbus isn't the first destination that most people want to head for this time of year. Thats one big advantage a place like VA Beach has. I live an hour away, and don't know at this point for sure if I will make it, though every so often I get little more motivated to attend.

Edited by JasonB

Its because once again the nats are not in Toronto or Hamilton. Where proper beer, Canadian dollar (better deals for Americans) and hotter women are. You put the nats at Tonys museum, and you'll see some chatter. :monkeydance:

Well lets put it this way. This 2009 Nats forum on ARC is set up each year to give the host chapter(s) the ability to get the buzz going and to freely promote the event. It is odd there isn't much buzz. I wonder if there might be more buzz on other forums?

WE HAVE A BINGO!!!

I don't even know where to begin...

Trust me, I know what you must be going through right now.....nothing you or Graham can do but someone should have gotten on the case sooner.

Well lets put it this way. This 2009 Nats forum on ARC is set up each year to give the host chapter(s) the ability to get the buzz going and to freely promote the event. It is odd there isn't much buzz. I wonder if there might be more buzz on other forums?

Speaking as some active on most the major forums its been lighter than normal. It almost reminds me of 2007 and the Orange County Nats. Hopefully the lack of chatter is the only thing that both events have in common.

I also think the lack of a 2Bob's Party (I'm guessing there won't be one since that's not been announced or responded to either on this forum or the 2bob's forum) has caused a lack of chatter. Now I'm guessing lack of sponsors this year, understandable given the economy again....that and other issues that might be keeping Bob S. from wanting to do it this year.

It's gotta be the economy and maybe "location,location,location".

Little of both, people might be staying home. Location I don't think is as big as factor as you think, the 1997 Nats was very well attended.

I think this will end up being a good turnout the last 2 days.....location playing a bit of a factor by people not planning vacations around it due to the economy but still doing the event

I agree, I dont want step on any toes, but somebody screwed the pooch big time and has dropped the ball. I sent in my reg money order and form in march and the only way I found it it was cashed was I went to my bank where it was issued and they made a phone call to issuing bank in the states and found it had been cashed. I was reading on the IPMS convention board that some people two emails say they have been confonfimed the convention and the af museum tour and and i sent my stuff in march and nothing what gives, how hard is to send a email to say i am confirmed and ready to go. I know you guys are volinters but the person who is running the whole reg system needs a giant kick in the *** hard for this, I coming 7 hous for this event and I dont want to find out that there nothing there for me and I am screwed, I hope this not the OC part 2

Makes me glad I'm not an IPMS'er....just a freelance Buckeye modeler.

There has been very little buzz even at the local shops where you'd think this may be a topic of conversation.

I hate to admit it but Columbus just isn't a 'must see' destination for anyone. The best we can do is having the museum an hour away.

Matt

Born 1965 in Columbus Ahia

Its a mini vacation for me, originally it was gonna be a back trip and spend the week out there but now I'm just down to leaving Thrusday comming home Sunday, ecnomony and reality that I'd be really poor if I spent that much time in the vendor rooms.

Me and my one buddy are staying at the Red Roof in OSU if anyone wants to meet up, we're planning on hitting up the museum Friday, I've never seen it before and he hasn't been there since around the time he got outta the USAF and was in the base hospital.

I do think its the economy keeping the travelers down, and probably locale, Columbus isn't my first choice of a vacation spot by any means but its probably the closest Nats will ever be to me so I'm going.

Its a mini vacation for me, originally it was gonna be a back trip and spend the week out there but now I'm just down to leaving Thrusday comming home Sunday, ecnomony and reality that I'd be really poor if I spent that much time in the vendor rooms.

Me and my one buddy are staying at the Red Roof in OSU if anyone wants to meet up, we're planning on hitting up the museum Friday, I've never seen it before and he hasn't been there since around the time he got outta the USAF and was in the base hospital.

I do think its the economy keeping the travelers down, and probably locale, Columbus isn't my first choice of a vacation spot by any means but its probably the closest Nats will ever be to me so I'm going.

I think alot of guys will be doing that, attending the last 2 days and staying off site. If I was'nt commited to my current plans (and spliting the hotel room at the Hyatt) I'd scale back to 3 days and stay close but at a motel.

Having had some recent success on Ebay, I am now thinking I may be able to go, despite the missus being unemployed still. 90% of my model stuff comes from show vendor areas and I'm hoping to spend all day Thursday going through them.

I find it alarming as well... I really don't think it is location, as 97 was one of the largest Nat's ever. But the organizers this year have been very, very quiet, even to the point of being almost non-responsive to questions. And the fact that they couldn't get on-line registration to work concerns me as well. I don't know, I just hope they have their act together come show time.

Edited by Kelly Quirk
I find it alarming as well... I really don't think it is location, as 97 was one of ther largest Nat's ever. But the organizers this year have been very, very quiet, even to the point of being almost non-repsonsive to questions. And the fact that they couldn't get on-line registration to work concerns me as well. I don't know, I just hope they have thier act together come show time.

I am a bit convcerned about the turnout myself. Has the hotel even come close to selling out? As a vendor, this is concerning to me. It costs a lot to make the trip as well as ship our stuff to sell to you guys and gals. If it ends up being a low attended show it will force me to rethink how many Nats I will vend at, other than western shows in the future.

Cheers

Mike

[waving arms] REALLY INTERESTED!!! I can't imagine what it's like, from the sheer number of models on display to the vendor orgy.

I've always liked Columbus and can't wait to go to my first Nats! It's a hike, five hours from Grand Rapids, MI by car, but worth the trip. I turned it into a date by inviting my wife to go along, so while the money is flowing out the brownie points will be piling up. I'll leave to her the challenge of finding stuff to do Thursday afternoon and all day Friday while I'm busy geeking out, but I'm pretty sure our evenings will be filled: Cirque du Soleil at Nationwide Arena one night, dinner at the Thurman Cafe (south on High Street, left on Thurman, and a few blocks to the best burger in Columbus), etc. Maybe a round of disc golf at Blendon Woods on the way out of town on Saturday.

Want to troll around for nightlife? Just walk south from the Hyatt on High Street. The Brewery District is right there. Whatever you do, if you make the trip to Columbus, don't squander a moment in non-local establishments. You'll be missing out.

I do hope there's an ARC gathering. Nice to put a few faces with a few names.

Kelly is right. Ohio Nationals are generally the largest, so I'm sure this year's will be outstanding. Hell, I'd go anywhere to attend a Nats. The family can take their own vacation if they want to ride roller coasters or buy candles!

BTW, I heard through the grapevine that they might be adding another room for vendors!

My wife and I have got our hotel revervations, but haven't sent in our registrations yet. I'm still waiting to hear about a possible new job, and they may not be too wild about letting me have the time off when I've only been there a few weeks. Hopefully, we'll be able to make it. If we can't, it would be ironic..Columbus '97 was supposed to be my first Nats, but I had to cancel because I lost my job a few weeks before the show.

Like everyone, I'm a bit concerened about the lack of buzz. I'm also a bit baffled about the inability to get the online registration working. I think we've registered online for the last two or three Nats with no problem.

SN

BTW, I heard through the grapevine that they might be adding another room for vendors!

No we've added 3 more rooms for vendors. i just got finishe assigning them. The sad part is I have to turn some vendors away. Unless someone cancels between now and August 19th the vendor room is REALLY REALLY SOLD OUT! This is going to be a vendor heavy show so bring your cash.

Also I just got the decals today from Two Bob's for the registration bags and they look awesome. The best part is we have the kits built and painted so all we have to do is apply the Convention decals on them. That way you can see what they really look like on the kits.

Jason