WWII Hellcats

More than likely, it's just plain old light beige masking tape (strange tho it might be, at one time that's the only color masking tape came in).

Edited by Hawk10

Looks like silver tape to me. :monkeydance: More like duct tape and not masking tape. Masking tape would never hold up to the airspeed the Hellcat flew at.

Hellcat_F6F-3_BuNo41090_VF-1_AirGroup1_USSYorktownJuly1944-wartimecolor.jpg

k00100.jpg

BTW, it looks like the muzzles of the guns extending from the leading edge were tapped as well.

Cheers,

John

I really don't think duct tape had been invented during WWII. Hell, I'm not that old and I remember when there wasn't any such thing as duct tape. They most assuredly had 2" masking tape in great quantities, witness all the Navy airplanes (and AAF airplanes for that matter) where the new markings were outlined with 2" tape and sprayed, getting a nice 2" wide stripe of the base color with overspray on the outside of it.

Like a wise veterinarian once told me, "Don't look for a zebra when there's a donkey in the stall." Common things occur commonly with great frequency.

J

I really don't think duct tape had been invented during WWII. Hell, I'm not that old and I remember when there wasn't any such thing as duct tape. They most assuredly had 2" masking tape in great quantities, witness all the Navy airplanes (and AAF airplanes for that matter) where the new markings were outlined with 2" tape and sprayed, getting a nice 2" wide stripe of the base color with overspray on the outside of it.

Like a wise veterinarian once told me, "Don't look for a zebra when there's a donkey in the stall." Common things occur commonly with great frequency.

J

There's a difference between masking for painting and being able to withstand 350 mph at the leading edge. Regardless that's gotta be some damn good masking tape.

Anyway my description was more as an example and not meant to be gospel. Masking tape would not hold up to the air speeds subjected to it. Being in the aviation industry I know for a fact that a great amount of new innovations and advances in products come from the aerospace industry. It's highly likely that the tape is a kind of fabric with an adhesive backing. Something along the lines of a light cotton impregnated with adhesive, dope etc....

TTFN

John

lol I have seen plenty of F-15s come back with masking tape on them that was supposed to be removed after a wash

Probably not covering up an open hole on the leading edge though :)

Probably not covering up an open hole on the leading edge though :)

well, if u think about it though, the edges of the tape are facing aft. I see what ur saying though. I think it depends on circumstance.

I read a number of years ago in one of the warbird magazines, not sure if I still have the copy about they put the tape on after the armistice was signed to make sure no one was firing the guns on missions, and I'm pretty sure the pilot that wrote the article stated it was masking tape, so the light beige color would probably be correct. This work only as long as it took to realize every time you charged the guns you dropped a shell and then they had some really cheap bombing practice with .50 cal rounds.

It was a pilot from either VF-1 or VF-2 that wrote it if that helps an.

J

So, then you must be a little over 67 years old?

Duct tape was developed by the Johnson and Johnson Permacel Division in 1942. The original use was to keep moisture out of the ammunition cases. Because it was waterproof, people referred to the tape as "Duck Tape." Also, the tape was made using cotton duck - similar to what was used in their cloth medical tapes. Military personnel quickly discovered that the tape was very versatile and used it to fix their guns, jeeps, aircraft, etc. After the war, the tape was used in the booming housing industry to connect heating and air conditioning duct work together.

Any tape involved doesn't have to stay intact in a 350 mph airstream. If is shreds, it blows off of the wing. So what?

As I understand it, it was only there to keep contamination away for the guns while on the ground (or deck).

And I am inclined to think that either white, tan or duck tape gray would work as well. I have to wonder, however, what tape the FAA (Fleet Air Arm) of the Royal Navy used? Or did they use any at at all? And what colour would it be? Red, white, tan or purple with green stripes :coolio: ?

Edited by afyeats