Lead + CA glue: a dangerous combination

Intriguing. That's not an issue I've encountered with nose-weights. Nor even in assembly of white metal parts, less lead in the alloy I guess.

I must say I tend to set my nose weights in place with blue-tac. A product I've seen remain inert in the modelling situation for a number of years, closing on 18 at least.

Perhaps the lead was older flashing material with substantial surface oxidisation or even a surface coating?

The comment re: no lead or lead based paint for museum models, is imo, just 'nervous-nellie' political correctness.

G

I've fixed lead fishing sinkers into the nose of tricycle aircraft with Blu-Tac too, and it works very well. I once had smoke pouring out of a model when I used too much CA to fix some weights with, and hit it with too much accelerator! Never again...

Kev

The comment re: no lead or lead based paint for museum models, is imo, just 'nervous-nellie' political correctness.

It's not, it's just silly over-cautiousness. The most likely culprit is their insurers.

This shouldn't be a problem if you use fishing weights, since they don't contain lead. The problem with smoke from CA + accelerator may be heat rather than a chemical reaction - although, never having used accelerator, I can't be sure.

With all that said, using white glue is a good tip, if only because it's less brittle than CA. I bashed my P-3 after I'd added the weights and closed the fuselage, and now I have to take three or four attempts to settle it on its nosewheel because one or two of the weights have gone walkabout inside ...

Hi, all

Normally, as far as it is possible, I prepare some lead sheets, degrease and clean them with alcohol, glue them in a pack with epoxy and seal around with epoxy too.

DC-7C_noseL1.jpg

Then fit into the recesses I prepared before and glue again with epoxy.

DC-7C_noseL2.jpg

Better epoxy than CA because it fills every gaps and doesn't create fumes. More health for your model and for you.

Regards

Euge

It's not, it's just silly over-cautiousness. The most likely culprit is their insurers.

This shouldn't be a problem if you use fishing weights, since they don't contain lead. The problem with smoke from CA + accelerator may be heat rather than a chemical reaction - although, never having used accelerator, I can't be sure.

With all that said, using white glue is a good tip, if only because it's less brittle than CA. I bashed my P-3 after I'd added the weights and closed the fuselage, and now I have to take three or four attempts to settle it on its nosewheel because one or two of the weights have gone walkabout inside ...

Sinkers as we call em in Oz, are still lead or lead alloy.

Heat generated in curing ca glue is a chemical reaction with atmospheric, or applied moisture.

One of our club members did a tutorial on how to make a custom fitted nose weight using lead, pot-metal or antimony. Balance the model slightly aft of the main wheels, fill a medicine cup with the amount of metal needed to keep the nose firmly down.

He then pressed wax into the available spaces of the model and cooled it. Then made a plaster of paris mould with the wax in place. Allow the plaster to dry completely. When dry, heat the cast sufficiently for the wax to depart, leaving a hole. Into which he poured the pre-measured amount of now molten metal. Bust 'er open, and there's your fitted nose-weight.

G

Wow, the airliners are really going for thick 'anti'terrorist' doors on the cockpit nowadays! :D

Ha Ha!

Good suggestion!

The vertical ballast is placed where seated the flight engineer between two bulkheads, fortunately not visible from outside.

Euge

The problem with lead and CA resulting in an expansion is due to formation of lead corrosion product, still sometimes known as "white lead" (or "sugar of lead" before chemistry became standardized.) White lead forms on exposure to atmospheric moisture if even tiny amounts of any ionic compound (the salt from a fingerprint will do it) are present. It is hygroscopic, meaning that it will adsorb more water and swell when the humidity is high, then shrink when humidity drops by giving up water. Further formation of white lead, followed by the same swelling/drying cycle, causes increased expansion.

CA polymerization involves water molecules, which I think become part of the matrix (I haven't studied the chemistry enough to be sure), and CA is slightly hydrophillic (meaning it attracts water molecules.) Note that most CA does not do well when continuously soaked. I speculate that the CA polymer also provides a sufficiently ionic environment at the lead/CA interface to promote corrosion.

I have seen white glue produce some corrosion on lead, but not as much.

As a final note, this form of lead oxide (white lead) is highly soluble, can be absorbed through the skin, and is highly toxic. :jaw-dropping:

I always use 5 minute epoxy=no worries.

Ive actually had some problem with this in the nose of my p-38 it deformed my nose a little the plastic melted inwards kinda weird.. i masked it up as battle damage!!

Neo

The problem with smoke from CA + accelerator may be heat rather than a chemical reaction - although, never having used accelerator, I can't be sure.

Oh yeah, it was definitely heat - nearly melted the fuselage! I still reckon Blu-Tac (or some other form of putty) is a safer bet than any type of glue these days. I've got at least one model with an annoying rattle from a fishing sinker come loose...

Kev

Oh yeah, it was definitely heat - nearly melted the fuselage! I still reckon Blu-Tac (or some other form of putty) is a safer bet than any type of glue these days. I've got at least one model with an annoying rattle from a fishing sinker come loose...

Kev

I should have said, heat caused by the curing of the CA, rather than a direct chemical reaction between it and the plastic. Any one-part glue that bonds rather than dissolves should be fine; two-part glues are better avoided because they too produce heat as the two parts react (although I've never had too great a problem using epoxy for long seams). Having said that, Blu-Tack is inert and has the advantage of weight, so if you can't fit your weights into a space or you run out, it's a good substitute.

Where on earth would you find tungsten weights?

And another thought: what's used to make the weights that balance car wheels after you've had your tyres fitted?

I use bird shot and epoxy. The epoxy pretty much encapsulates the lead - I haven't had any problems yet.

I had to look up the weight of tungsten. I didn't realize it was that heavy: lead is 11.35 g/cc, tungsten is 19.3! close to twice the density.

Edited by Grey Ghost 531

Well at first I thought this was going to be specific to the fact that CA can get hot enough to cause the lead to transfer to the surrounding air...

I have been using lead weights with everything from wood glue, CA, epoxy, clay and even using that good old standby White Glue, and never had any issues.

On the other hand I have had issues with the glues not staying in place and shrinking causing the weight to pop free...

Yep Dave, lead shot is a great combo. Prefer it with a nice slow setting epoxy. I always test the epoxy first on a sheet of thin plastic to see if it generates heat that way I dont get the deformed sections...

William G

I use bird shot and epoxy. The epoxy pretty much encapsulates the lead - I haven't had any problems yet.

I had to look up the weight of tungsten. I didn't realize it was that heavy: lead is 11.35 g/cc, tungsten is 19.3! close to twice the density.

You know tungsten is the metal of choice for the frag part of blast/frag type weapons, everything from A2A missiles to man-portable devices of all kinds.

You know tungsten is the metal of choice for the frag part of blast/frag type weapons, everything from A2A missiles to man-portable devices of all kinds.

Kinder than depleted uranium, too ... though I'm not sure I'll be relying on AIM-120 warheads for my supply of balance weights! :salute:

Atomic weights:

lead-Pb=207.19

Tungsten-W=183.85

Bisthmuth-Bi=208.98

Bisthmuth is heavier and cheaper than tungsten (Wolfram).

b-i-s-m-u-t-h ;)

IIRC, tungsten is used because it is both harder and has a significantly higher tensile strength than either lead or bismuth, making it a better choice for armor penetration.

Atomic weights:

lead-Pb=207.19

Tungsten-W=183.85

Bisthmuth-Bi=208.98

Bisthmuth is heavier and cheaper than tungsten (Wolfram).

The atomic weight may be higher but the density of the metal is less that either lead of tungsten. Bismuth's specific gravity is only 9.75 g/cc