Badger airbrush with craftsman compressor

On a recent visit to my local Sears, I found a small Craftsman air compressor. It was rated at 1.5 HP with max pressure of 125 PSI and a 2 gallon tank. The compressor also had two sockets for air driven tools or airbrushes. It was on sale for $69. I am wondering if anyone can recommend this be used for painting model aircraft with a badger airbrush. If so, what type of adapter would I need for the airbrush hose and what would be the maximum PSI suggested for the airbrush?

EDIT: Here are the technical details on the compressor(I believe it might be discontinued because I can't find it on the Sears site.)

http://www.mysears.com/Craftsman-2-gal-Air...ory-Kit-reviews

This 2 gal. 1 hp horizontal air compressor from Craftsman features a lightweight, compact design and an 17 pc. accessory kit. Kit includes dual tire chuck, sealing tape, tapered nozzle, threaded adapter, inflation needles (2), safety nozzle, blow gun, female quick connect couplers (2), male quick connect plugs (2), female quick connect plug, male adapters (2), NPT female adapter, tire gauge and a 25 ft. coil air hose. 26 lbs. 17 x 17 x 13 in.

Brand Name Craftsman

Product Name 2 gal. Air Compressor with 17 pc. Accessory Kit

Convenience:Quick Connect Yes

Dimensions:Height 17 in.

Dimensions:Length 13 in.

Dimensions:Width 17 in.

Hose:Function Compressed air

Hose:Length 25 ft.

Included with Item:Accessory Kit Yes, 17 pc. kit

Installation Requirements:Setup Assembly may be required

Model Number 00915312000

Motor-Engine:Cylinder Liner Cast iron

Motor-Engine:Horsepower, Maximum Developed 1 hp

Motor-Engine:SCFM Use At 40 psi 3.7 SCFM

Motor-Engine:SCFM Use At 90 psi 2.4 SCFM

Motor-Engine:Voltage 120 volts

MPN 15312

Product Overview:Item Weight 26.0 lbs.

Product Overview:Manual del Dueno <a href="/download/own/915312s.pdf">Presione Aqui</a>

Product Overview:See Owners Manual <a href="/download/own/00915312e.pdf">Click Here</a>

SCFM Delivery:SCFM Delivery At 40 psi 3.7 SCFM

SCFM Delivery:SCFM Delivery At 90 psi 2.4 SCFM

Tank:Compressor Tank Capacity 2 gal.

Tank:Compressor Tank Pump Style Oil Lube

Tank:Compressor Tank Type Horizontal

Tank:Maximum Compressor psi 125 psi

Edited by aerodrew

Looks like I might consider this one over the Iwata Smart Jet, simply because it seems more economical. BTW would you happen to know offhand what a typical(and safe) PSI setting for a small airbrush like the Badger model 200 would be?

The pressure depends on what type of paint, how thinned and so on. PSI doesn't change because of type of compressor. I use a Craftsman 6 HP 25 gallon shop compressor for my Iwata's as well as for my air tools for working on my Chevy pickup. But as noted by Toadwbg, I have a regulator and moisture trap bolted to my model table.

BTW would you happen to know offhand what a typical(and safe) PSI setting for a small airbrush like the Badger model 200 would be?

I doubt you will ever get over 30-40 lbs. I use a badger 150 and rarely use anything over 20. I also have a hardware store compressor. Works great but louder than heck.

Ed

I have the Sears compressor with a 3 gal tank and haven't had any problems. It's noisy, so if you need a quiet one don't consider it. You can use almost any compressor with an airbrush even one without a tank.

The reviews say it's quiet, though I do live in a quiet neighborhood, so noise is somewhat of a concern. Does your compressor use quick disconnect couplings? If so do any of the fittings allow for you adapt the airbrush hose with them or are you using it with that yellow spiraled plastic one?

I got regular 1/4 inch quick disconnects from Lowe's/Home Depot. I connected it to a badger 1/4 to 1/8 adapter(first link) and use it with a vinyl hose(second link).

You could use it with the braided hose which doesn't require adapters(third link).

http://www.reuels.com/reuels/Compressor_Ad...1_4_Badger.html

http://www.reuels.com/reuels/Badger_Airbru...vinyl_Hose.html

http://www.reuels.com/reuels/Badger_Airbru...ed_Hose_10.html

The compressor isn't loud enough to hear it outside if you run it inside. If you are close to it, it's a little loud.

Edited by terryt

Just got back from Sears. I opted for the Craftsman compressor that was sitting next to the one on clearance, it was on sale marked down from $149 to $109. Same stuff all around except this one came with a 3 gallon tank(Maybe the same as yours, terryt?) Anyways I'll have to go and get the hose in the 3rd link because now I know that it comes with a 1/4 inch quick disconnect adapter.

That is the same compressor I have. I'm very happy with the performance. I like it because it's smallish and can be moved easily. That's the same price I paid for it about 6 years ago, if I remember right it was on sale.

Edited by terryt