Syrian Air Force MiG-21 bis

Here's my latest model, Zvezda's Fishbed N. Great little kit if you ask me, only needs reworking around some tiny details, but apart from that it's a rather credible representation of a "bis" model. I used the wonderful Part photoetched set, tons of parts for the cockpit and some sweet details for the exterior. I painted the model with Gunze and Tamiya acrylics, then weathered the paintjob with oil paints. Decals are from Tally-Ho's "Focus on Fishbeds Pt.2" sheet.

Here are some pictures:

mig21bis%2001.jpg

mig21bis%2002.jpg

mig21bis%2003.jpg

mig21bis%2004.jpg

mig21bis%2005.jpg

mig21bis%2006.jpg

mig21bis%2007.jpg

mig21bis%2008.jpg

mig21bis%2009.jpg

mig21bis%2010.jpg

Edited by Musical_Box

Great Fishbed!

I also started my bis 1 year ago with the Part PE set,intending to build it as a Polish Navy shark-mouse scheme,but just stopped when I broke the exhaust pipe part till now.....

Would you mind introducing the details on the exhaust nozzle?

Cheers,

Yufei

I partly scratchbuilt the exhaust, since the kit part lacks in detail, especially on the outside surface of the exhaust petals. I used a part from another photoetched set to simulate the "ribbed" look of the burner can (another method was illustrated by Piere Christian Baudru in this post); the part came complete with what looked like burner petals, so i just rolled it into the shape of a cylinder, then slightly bent the petals inward. Since the gap between the petals was too wide, i just glued a strip of lead foil around them, then pressed it down into the gaps to follow their shape.

Btw, good luck with your Fishbed, I can't wait to see what you can make out of it. Your works in 1:72 have always been a source of inspiration for me.

Edited by Musical_Box

Thanks a lot for the quick response!

Your explanation is very helpful and gave me some inspiration to use the junk PE parts and juck Aires resin MiG-29 exhaust pipe to replicate that area.

Deeply impressed again and thanks a lot for sharing your work and the posts.

BTW,I'm also waiting for some very detailed plans from Czech R.V. Resin.

Here FYI:

http://www.rvresin.com/MiG_-_21_Fishbed.html

Cheers,

Yufei

<...> BTW,I'm also waiting for some very detailed plans from Czech R.V. Resin.

Here FYI:

http://www.rvresin.com/MiG_-_21_Fishbed.html <...>

Yufei, do you know whether these drawings will also include the Chinese Fishbeds (especially the double-delta-winged ones)? :)

Yufei, do you know whether these drawings will also include the Chinese Fishbeds (especially the double-delta-winged ones)? :)

Hmm......I'm afraid they won't 'cause the main references they use,I guess,should be the real thing photos of Czech Fishbeds which they can easily get close to.

As to Chinese J-7 series,J-7I is quite similiar to MiG-21F-13 while J-7III due to MiG-21MF,so you can still use those plans for rivet references.

As for other types,what you need will be the Chinese J-7 column which released in 2008.

20083813553.jpg

• 1 year later...