1/72 Airfix Mil Mi-24 Hind A/D

on sunday last at the coventry model show i bought this kit.

it looks good but then i think that the square cabin windows look undersize.

does anyone else have this kit and confirm this?

it will be built as a Hind-A.

trevor

Trevor,

I can't comment on the size of the cabin windows but, FWIW, my photos of a Hind-A are here.

Ken

Ken, did I ever mention how much I envy you for being able to see the stuff you've seen?

I guess Hasegawa made a screwup on their Hind-A, as they've got it set up as a three-seater... That's pretty interesting, but not daunting to a whiffer like I.

I think the front seat was for the gunner/ weapons officer, so the layout should be correct in the Hasegawa kit.

Rich

I don't have the Hasegawa kit, but if it has three seats - then it is incorrect.

The Hind-A (and all subsequent variants) has a single seat for a gunner in the front and a single seat for the pilot behind.

There is loads of room in the cockpit - but only two seats.

Check out my photos of same :- http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/m-24a.htm

Ken

Yes, Ken, the Hase Hind-A is incorrect - see my thread, there's a built up Hind-A from Hasegawa as the first of four Hind models I'm doing. It features a three seat arrangement, the gunner, pilot, and ostensibly a copilot, as they both have the same stick layout.

Interestingly, though, it would not be ostensibly Too hard to correct, as from your images, the Hind-A's pilot is highly offset to the left, with that massive panel to his right, almost sitting entirely against the window rail. So to a degree, Hase's Hind A is yes incorrect, but not hard to correct with a little scratch-jutsu.

Hello again,

Just out of interest, I've just been looking at 2 books about the Hind, Squadron in action and the warfax photobook and both say that there were 3 crew in the front, pilot, gunner and engineer, with the Warfax book stating that the gunner sat in the front with the pilot and engineer behind him. And a quote i picked up off the net on www.faqs.org

"In addition to three crewmen, consisting of gunner, pilot, and navigator in an armored "greenhouse"-style cockpit, the Mi-24A could carry a squad of eight soldiers, seated in two back-to-back rows of four."

Could this configeration be an early model, maybe for training purposes, which was later changed to the operational version of two crew in tandom with the engineer riding in the back? Just looking at Ken's walkaround there's no way you could fit another seat next to the pilot!! Maybe the books got there info from the Hasegawa kit and took that to be gospel. Just wondering.

Cheers, Rich

Edited by richuk

I'd honestly question that, as we've seen the mass of control panels that take up the starboard side of the cockpit. But hey, they might well have had a second seat, but it still seems dubious to me.

I'd honestly question that, as we've seen the mass of control panels that take up the starboard side of the cockpit. But hey, they might well have had a second seat, but it still seems dubious to me.

For what it's worth, here's the info in the Osprey Hind book by Spick. You can see they claim 3 crew in front as well. Perhaps the Alphas still around were reconfigured for two crewmen later. This same ref indicates that the engineer/copilot was deemed unnecessary early in the Hind's development. Anyway, I just thought I'd add this ref to the mix.

Ray

Hind%20A%20info.jpg

This request is slightly off-topic but which kit is the best if you want to build an A-version of the Hind, Airfix or Hasegawa? I've seen an old Airfix Hind A/D kit in a local shop and I'm tempted to pick it up. Will it build into a half-decent model? Thanks.

LD.

The Hasegawa is by far the best kit, but it is hard to come by and usually very expensive. The Airfix kit comes with two noses, one for the A and one for the D so you have to marry this join up with the fusalage. The moldings are probably showing their age and are a little soft but it will still build up to look like a Hind. The Hasagawa kit also comes with three!!!! pilots and four soldiers complete with little AK47's. Also decals for the control panels. Go for the Has kit but if you can get the Airfix cheap then get that as well.

Rich

I found my Hase Hind A over at Kingkit.co.uk - they weren't an excessively heavy price, though it was four quid between the Airfix and the Hase kits.

I fully agree, and it's a bloody crying shame - I Do like the Hind A, and I Wish to god somebody would produce it again, as last I knew it wasn't produced anymore.