just finished this guy up the other day and thought i'd share. its the amt/ertl boxing. im not totally proud of the way it turned out, but i am proud of the fact i at least attempted the kit...but since italeri re-poped it, i figured i would use the amt kit as a practice run. things i learned:

1. the seams on this are as terrible as everyone says they are. id never used squadron putty before, and not really a fan of it...it dried pretty quick. is 3m acryl blue good?

2. sanding the seams was trickier than i thought to blend it all...would wet sanding it be the way to go?

3. amt decals are really thick.

4. there is an ugly seam between the clear canopy piece and the rest of the plane. i wasnt sure how to fill and sand it without ruining the clear bit...any tips?

5. white is hard to get an even coat...its kinda blotchy in places, but im sure only practice will help get it better.

now onto the pictures!

IMG_7560.jpg

IMG_7566.jpg

IMG_7571.jpg

IMG_7574.jpg

IMG_7575.jpg

IMG_7603.jpg

IMG_7599.jpg

any comments and constructive criticism would be appreciated!

The Valkyrie is one of my favourite aircraft designs, and your model definitely does her justice. Nice job.

I love the group shot with the Peacemaker, I wonder just how tiny a Starfighter would look beside those two heavyweights.

You were asking about ways to fill the gap between canopy and fuselage, here is what I usually do whenever I need to fill large gaps: I mix cyanoacrylate and talcum powder, which I apply with a toothpick or other suitable tools. You should get a thick mixture, so it doesn't run inside the clear part. It dries hard, but not nearly as hard as cyanoacrylate alone, so it's very easy to sand and rescribe. Just remember to dip the clear part in Future, so the cyano fumes won't fog it.

archybean, great job on both models! :salute:

I think AMT/ERTL made a mistake on wingtips of XB-70 - they got 3 positions: 0 degree (flat), 30 and 65 degrees of deflection. For me angle of deflection of wingtips as modeled is more than 65 degrees.

I used BONDO auto-filler (from wall-mart) on mine and a lot of sand paper to fix all gaps and seams. To paint it evenly I used KRYLON spray can from Hobby Lobby - it provides good coverage for big area and cheaper than model paints.

What is your idea about displaying it? Especially, next to beautifully made B-36. Do you have separate house to display your models? :rofl: I would like to see your solution of this problem, because mine XB-70 forced me to spend some money on furniture to display it. :salute:

Impressive !!!

Just stumbled upon an intriguing question lately...

If I remeber correctly this bird was supposed to be a multi-mach "interdiction" bomber.

I just wandered: how would it deliver it's payload...???

Did it have an internal bomb-bay, tucked somewhere between the massive engine's...???

Any-one...???

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

thanks everyone for the comments, on both planes...the b-36 was my first attempt on using foil, and its just the .25 cent stuff from wal-mart!

@ spooky 01: it does indeed have an internal bomb bay, just behind the front landing gear bay...the doors actually slide back instead of opening out.

@ atlant: my current solution to displaying my models is hanging them from the ceiling...whether they have their gear down or not. out of the way from all but the tallest people...it works for now.

heres a couple pics of them hanging:

IMG_7623crop.jpg

IMG_7630levels.jpg

Dude, yer gonna totally pull down the drywall with all that filler putty flying aroung up there!

Nice models, and congrats on finishing the XB-70. We are a small but mighty fraternity. Phi Beta Zappa Gappa. Our motto: Maximus Grit.

Rick L.

Wow, that is sweet Valkyrie and love the Peacemaker. If you don't mind me asking can I ask you to post more photos of the B-36? I'm thinking about building one for myself. TIA.

Mike

Nice models, and congrats on finishing the XB-70. We are a small but mighty fraternity. Phi Beta Zappa Gappa. Our motto: Maximus Grit.

Rick L.

Archy, agreed, those look fantastic! I'll be tackling the Valkyrie myself soon.

Rick, you should make a banner to be given to those who've done the XB-70!

@ spooky 01: it does indeed have an internal bomb bay, just behind the front landing gear bay...the doors actually slide back instead of opening out.

A picked up a "nice to know" once again.

Thanx for the info.

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

P.S.: Impressive collection !

I think all of your builds look very nice considering the difficulty of the kits themselves.

As far as the canopy glass issue, I had a similar problem with the canopy glass on a 1/35 helo I built. I used Micro Kristal Klear as a filler. It is a lot like Elmer's glue (might even be the same stuff), so it dries clear and a little slow. It is really thick and you can put it on with an old paint brush. Once it starts to thicken up you can take a damp paper towel and wipe it smooth and even with the fuselage and canopy glass. It might take 2 applications, but it should work nicely. If you are using enamels, you might have to seal the glue after it dries because I don't know if they might attack the Kristal Klear since it is acrylic.

Again, great looking builds.

JED