I have a copy of Trumpeter's 1/32 A-10A. I'm interested to know if there are any aftermarket sets yet that accurately reproduce the cockpit upgrades for the A-10C. Also modern decal sets for the A-10 in the same scale.

P@T

P@t,

I don't believe there is a 1/48 or 1/32 scale cockpit update set available yet for the A-10C. It may not be that hard to scratch build. However, sooner or latter i believe the update set will be available from some one.

best, bwog

Nothing out there yet in 48th or 32nd. Hopefully soon. Afterburners Decal is working on a HUGE decal sheet from the Maryland ANG and there are a few A-10Cs on the sheet, but that is 48th. I am hoping a resin update set from Shull or Twomikes or Wolfpack

Edited by jwest21
Here's another question. Is the A-10C externally different from the A model, or do you have to get into the cockpit to tell the difference?

P@T

Sort of. There are the external LASTE and NVIS mods that were part of the A-10A, but that I don't think current kits cover; there's also the GPS and SATCOM antennas that, again, were added to the A model, but are probably not on current kits. The specific external difference with the A-10C are the pylons that it can carry the targeting pod and GPS guided weapons on.

Regards,

Murph

The 32nd Trumpeter and 48th Hobbybos kits have the LASTE blisters molded on as well as the EGI dome. They are seperate in the Italeri kit. The Monogram, Tamiya and Esci do not have them but Shull24 makes an update set in 48th. No one has the SATCOM antenna

Is the A-10C externally different from the A model?

Yes, but only barely. If it is carrying a targeting pod, the quickest way to distinguish a C is the location of the pod. A-10A and A+ can only carry them on stations 3/9, so only one station is left for AGM-65 use. The A-10C carries its targeting pod on 2/10, leaving 3/9 free for AGM-65 carriage. Cs can use Sniper or LITENING; A/A+ only LITENING. Cs can also carry JDAM; A/A+ cannot.

If it isn't carrying a targeting pod, you can also tell a C from an A by the shape of the instrument panel's glareshield. To make room for the C's MFDs, the "eyebrows" on the sides of the glareshield are removed, which are visible from outside the jet.

Only stations' 2/10 pylons are modified from the A, and only by the addition of a new door. No mods were done to the pylons to allow use of JDAM.

I have a copy of Trumpeter's 1/32 A-10A. I'm interested to know if there are any aftermarket sets yet that accurately reproduce the cockpit upgrades for the A-10C. Also modern decal sets for the A-10 in the same scale.

P@T

Funny, I have just been having similar thoughts. Even better would be if Chris (Zacto) would come out with a corrected windscreen <_<

Marcel

• 1 year later...

Wow, this thread is now more than one year old and there's still nothing on the market so far to build a recent "C" model.

I just bought the new Revell 1/48 kit and it seems like I'll have to do all the differences by scratch... :crying:

For the cockpit I will Use the Aires Set and cut the MFCDs from spare Hase Tomcat Cockpit-Panels.

I'll also use the Litening Pod from Wolfpack, which comes with the pylon. The Mavericks will be used OoB while GBU-10/12/31/38 will be taken from the Hase Weapon Set. Gun will be made by scratch (not that it's different from the "A" to the "C", but it's looking butt-ugly OoB).

Decals seem to be a problem. Or have the squadrons paintings remained the same for the "C" upgrades??