1/48th Hasegawa F-14D

Hi everyone.

This will be my first WIP on here. I got back into building models after about 15 years time off. So far, I've built a Academy F-15D, Revell F-15E and a Hasegawa F-4E(J) that I made into a Vietnam era bird. Nice to work on these again, especially after finding this forum. Some of the ideas I get from here I never would have thought of!

So, my newest bird is a Hasegawa F-14D in the CVW-14 boxing. Using some aftermarket stuff for it as well:

Fightertown Decals VX-9 Vandy Vampires Sheet

Steel Beech LANTIRN update set

Steel Beech BOL rails

Crossdelta Formation lights and anti skid walkways

Hasegawa Weapon Set D for some bombs and a SLAM

Stealing a couple AIM-9's from my F-15E

IMGP0002.jpg

I've done most of the cockpit done, so I wanted to start posting some stuff to see what you all thought and if you had suggestions or ideas. This is all done with spray cans (haven't sprung for an airbrush yet!) using Tamiya paints and a some Model Master black for the consoles. Drybrushing was with MM Duck Egg Blue, then I added a few highlights with red and yellow, which aren't accurate I'm sure. The front IP isn't quite done, so no pics of that.

Aftermarket stuff

Fightertown Decals VX-9 Vandy Vampires Sheet

Steel Beech LANTIRN update set

Steel Beech BOL rails

Crossdelta Formation lights and anti skid walkways

Hasegawa Weapon Set D for some bombs and a SLAM

Stealing a couple AIM-9's from my F-15E

IMGP0078.jpg

F-14D009.jpg

F-14D010.jpg

F-14D008.jpg

F-14D006.jpg

F-14D007.jpg

-Brett

Edited by Brett M

Thanks everyone! I did have a question for those in the know..... Did Hasegawa just forget to add the control stick in the RIO's pit for the LANTIRN pod? Or was that only on certain F-14s? I've seen some of you adding one to the left panel, but there's no mention of one in the instructions. Also, what exactly is the box mounted on top of the IP hood (don't know the actual name) I remember seeing a picture once and I thought it had green buttons.....

Better, daylight shot......

F-14D020.jpg

Edited by Brett M

So far so good! <_<

Hasegawa never put the LANTIRN updates i.e. square PTID, LANTIRN control stick in their kits. You can get them in Steel Beach's Bombcat Update Set which comes with the aforementioned items and bomb racks.

Mark

So far so good! <_<

Hasegawa never put the LANTIRN updates i.e. square PTID, LANTIRN control stick in their kits. You can get them in Steel Beach's Bombcat Update Set which comes with the aforementioned items and bomb racks.

Mark

Since I don't want to replace the whole IP, would this cockpit have even had the control stick? Or would that have been both the screen and the stick for the update?

The box on the RIO's instrument coaming is the RWR control box.

If I'm not mistaken the acronymn is Radar Warning Receiver....or something to that effect.

Cool thanks! At least now I know what it is <_<

Nice job!

Vandy 254 did have a PTID(square screen) installed and the Lantirn stick would go with that.

HTH

Mike

Hmm.....do I want to replace the IP then.....questions questions

Hey everyone. Just a few more updates today, I haven't really done much since I first started the thread.

I've gotten the nose smoothed out and now just need to rescribe some details that I lost. I attached the upper beaver tail to the fuselage and also attached the forward section to the main fuselage. Little bit of paint in the wheel wells as well. The nose landing gear is almost complete, a few more details to add. I've never done much with wheel wells, so I'm not really sure what to add to it.

Anyway, here's a few pics for you all.

Thanks for any comments!

F-14D023.jpg

F-14D025.jpg

Little bit of CA to help strengthen this bond.

F-14D026.jpg

F-14D040.jpg

F-14D039.jpg

I should be able to get a nice tight fit here. Right now it's dry fit and moving things around show's me what I need to sand or change

-Brett

Edited by Brett M

So, I ordered the decal sheet from Fightertown for VX-9......it show's only a 2 color TPS for 254. Is that right? And does anyone have any pics of this bird? More the merrier of course :whistle:

So, I ordered the decal sheet from Fightertown for VX-9......it show's only a 2 color TPS for 254. Is that right? And does anyone have any pics of this bird? More the merrier of course :)

You cant go wrong with BRIAN's paint scheme! great work thus far!

So, I ordered the decal sheet from Fightertown for VX-9......it show's only a 2 color TPS for 254. Is that right? And does anyone have any pics of this bird? More the merrier of course :worship:

I don't have my copy handy, and it's a little tough to tell based on the scan posted online, but I was pretty sure that 241 and 254 were both 3-tone TPS (I think the demarcation line on the side profiles might be a little hard to see because it's close to the black skunk stripe). You might wanna wait to hear for sure from Brian or Mike before you start painting... :coolio:

Lots of time left before paint goes on, so no worries there. I did get both fuel tanks painted, but no pics yet. Shot them with flat black and then gloss. Just have to wait for the decals to show up, then get those on and spray the flat.

It's looking like a Tomcat now!

So, a few updates, I assembled the vertical stabilizers, threw on the Crossdelta formation lights and painted them black. I'm hoping that the decals show up today (I like seeing how things look) I've started on the intakes, they don't seem too bad to me. Fuel tanks are done as well. Also started on smoothing any seam lines and using as little putty as I can on this.

No pics, as apparently my camera is not compatible with Windows 7........and the format I did on my laptop didn't work right :whistle: