Here's the kit

DSC_0172.jpg

I have zero for references so I'm going to trust the (Humbrol) colour call-outs on the box and just

go for it. I'm building the one on the cover of the box so it's a lot of wood.

I have the Eduard PE set for this kit that I will be using too.

I'll post some progress a little later

;)

Edited by ThatJeffGuy

Old Man PM'd me an Aerodrome link for Brad Cancian's build so I'm not flying totally blind. Brad did some upgrades to the kit engine that

made sense so I tried them myself. I created valve springs by wrapping fine wire around (very) small tube stock and then put them over the

cylinders. I fashioned some rockers from wire and removed the molded spark-plugs and replaced them with tube stock. The tube stock

'spark plugs' could then be drilled to receive the fine gauge wire. I goofed on the 2 distributors on the back though when I drilled the

holes for the plug wires....noticed the error when looking at a photo of a real engine on the net today.

DSC_0173.jpg

DSC_0174.jpg

DSC_0175.jpg

Thanks again to Old Man for the Aerodrome link and to Brad for breaking ground for me. Mine didn't turn out as nice as Brad's but

it has some visual interest to it.

I think it's time to try to do some simulated wood-grain...wish me luck :o

Thanks for looking

B)

Thanks Dave. That's essentially the method I've had in my head for a couple of years. The way I first heard it the oil paint

is then layered with Tamiya clear yellow. I have a couple of Evergreen swatches drying at the moment. I'm checking out

what Humbrol 'wood' as a base looks like under the oil and then a test with clear yellow and clear red to see what differences

that makes.

:o

Boy I am glad that they started this new GB. Who ever came with the idea should be given a modeling medal. So far all of the kits are excellent subjects and already some good skills in works. I'm going to be taking notes like crazy.

Thatjeffguy, nice subject and that engine look great. Love the dirty/oily effect. Do you mind sharing the link of Brads model? TIA.

Keep up the good work.

Mike

Thanks for the kind words guys. Jump on in the water's fine Dave :)

These kits aren't that big compared to WWII aircraft. I have the Roden SPAD too and the size of it kinda surprised me.

I can't imagine how some of you guys are pulling it off in 1/48 or 1/72. I'm 'skeered' to rig it but hoping EZ-Line saves my

butt.

Mike...the link to Brad's build is here:

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/models/3...tros-d-iii.html

Here's how the wood grain attempt finished up....I think it's kinda convincing....my wife thought it looked like wood :monkeydance:

Most of it won't be visible so it was good practice for the outer portion of the plane.

DSC_0178.jpg

DSC_0176.jpg

Thanks for looking

:cheers:

Wow! That looks great! The wood grain is very convincing!

SLICK

Thanks Slick :worship:

It's basically the technique that Moeggo points to above....however there's an extra coat of Tamiya clear yellow over the

oils after they dried for 24 hours. I read about this technique here on ARC a couple of years ago and it was a 'solution

in search of a problem' since then....nice to see it actually works. Depending on the ridges in the sponge you use to

wipe the oils you can get some pretty neat grain patterns if the scale and subject warrants.

I'm going to do the same thing for my laminated prop however I plan to mask off a section using the Humbrol

wood colour as the base since it leads to a darker shade than the buff.

This method reminds me of an old kit they used to sell in hardware stores that would let you "re-grain" wooden furniture that

you had painted in a solid colour. The kit included a buff-like base colour in one can and a darker colour you would

streak over using a cheese-cloth. I was thinking the cheese-cloth idea might work in this case too however I didn't

have a piece handy....but I did have tons of make-up sponges SWMBO gave me a while back.

It's basically the technique that Moeggo points to above....however there's an extra coat of Tamiya clear yellow over the

oils after they dried for 24 hours. I read about this technique here on ARC a couple of years ago and it was a 'solution

in search of a problem' since then....nice to see it actually works. Depending on the ridges in the sponge you use to

wipe the oils you can get some pretty neat grain patterns if the scale and subject warrants.

I'm going to do the same thing for my laminated prop however I plan to mask off a section using the Humbrol

wood colour as the base since it leads to a darker shade than the buff.

This method reminds me of an old kit they used to sell in hardware stores that would let you "re-grain" wooden furniture that

you had painted in a solid colour. The kit included a buff-like base colour in one can and a darker colour you would

streak over using a cheese-cloth. I was thinking the cheese-cloth idea might work in this case too however I didn't

have a piece handy....but I did have tons of make-up sponges SWMBO gave me a while back.

Thanks a lot for the mini how-to!

SLICK

Very nice build so far Jeff - I think your wood grain is somewhat more convincing than mine :worship: I am still trying to master it!

Looking forward to seeing more.

BC

Thanks for checking in and the kind words Brad....your build totally inspired me. :whistle:

Don't expect too much going forward though....I'm a typical 'B' student...moments of brilliance followed by

moments of sheer stupidity :worship:

Great engine weathering, Jeff

I have one Q: why you painted intake manifold in rust color? Mixture not very overheated in this place.

BTW I'm also in this GB with Roden Albatros, so I would watching closely over your build ;-)

Cheers

Maksim

Great engine weathering, Jeff

I have one Q: why you painted intake manifold in rust color? Mixture not very overheated in this place.

BTW I'm also in this GB with Roden Albatros, so I would watching closely over your build ;-)

Cheers

Maksim

Thanks Maksim

No particular reason....I will claim visual interest in my defence :blink: but it's more likely from getting intake and exhaust screwed up in

my head and not having any good references.