Hello,

I'm trying to figure out what is the difference is between the J model and C/D models. I'd like to make a B-25J in 1/48th scale and I've heard that Accurate Miniatures makes a great C/D. I was wondering if it could be used to make a J or not and what changes would have to be made. Maybe I could mash the Monogram kit with the Accurate Miniatures or should I just stick with the Monogram B-25J kit?

Thanks again

The fuselage is very different. In the C/D the top turret was aft of the wings and there were no waist guns or tail gunner generally speaking (there some attempts to mount guns in those positions in some cases). On the J the top turret was just aft of the cockpit, it had waist gun mounts, and a real tail gun position.

Regards,

Murph

The Monogram kit is perfectly acceptable. Some might be put off by the fact that it has raised panel lines, but that's just a personal preference. Personally, I think the Monogram "J" looks more like a B-25 than Accurate Miniatures "C/D"..the nose contours on the AM kit always looked a little "off" to me, and the engine cowls have well-known dimensional problems.

SN

Are there resin/photoetched parts to bring the kit up to date I should look for? When I did my B-17 a while back I had tons of each and it came out looking sharp. I just don't have the time these days to search for everything. :(

For the Monogram/Revell B-25J kits:

Eduard PE

Vector engines and MG's

Paragon MG's

True Details wheels

Pavla seats

Scale A/C Conversions USA metal landing gear

Quickboost MG barrels and engine cowlings

Squadron or Aeromaster ordnance, if you can find them.

Likely a few more aftermarket items. You can get the items above from Hannant's or Squadron. Vector is a little harder to find.

The Monogram/Revell B-25H/J remains the best of the B-25 kits, in any scale.

Don

The old Monogram B-25 is in many ways much superior to the AM kit. They're sort of apples vs. oranges, since the Monogram kit is an H/J and the AM kits are C/D/Gs. As noted, there are lots of major differences between the variants. Those aside however, the Monogram nose is vastly superior to the AM nose (the major thing that's put me off the AM kit forever), and overall it just 'looks' better to my eye. The AM kit can be built, but I can't ever get past the schnoz..

J

...The AM kit can be built, but I can't ever get past the schnoz..

J

J

And I have the same opinion about the cockpit canopy in the 1/72 Hasegawa kit. It makes the forward fuselage look odd. Not to mention the engine cowlings with the same problem as the AM kit, the vertical stabilizers needing to be reshaped, etc. These faults are easy to fix. The correction of the cockpit and bombardier's enclosures requires making new vac replacements. Falcon makes a vac set. I've not had time to see if the Falcon set fixes the problems with the enclosures.

Don

My main problem with the Hasegawa 1/72 kit is the nose glazing. They not only molded the escape hatch inaccurately, but they molded it on both sides, when it should only be on the left. Falcon makes a vac replacement, but I"m not sure if it addresses this issue.

SN