Hi all,

Thought I may as well enter this little beauty in the GB.

RodenDH2.jpg

I've only just ordered this kit, plus I have my Fw 190D-9 to complete, but I'll give this a try.

Jim

Edited by James H
I wish you luck with all that rigging to do. You are a brave man.

I used to rig full 'Men 'o War' ships with thousands of knots and miles of line, so with any luck this will be a cinch :monkeydance::monkeydance:

This is one of my all time favourite machines. I built the Airfix 1/72 one years ago and fell in love with it then.

I used to rig full 'Men 'o War' ships with thousands of knots and miles of line, so with any luck this will be a cinch :monkeydance::monkeydance:

Sir, you are a brave man indeed!

I will watch this with great interest.

Giles

I built the RoG 1/72 DH-2 a couple years ago. Neat little plane but my eyes would go cross eyed trying to rig it in 1/32, I chose 1/72 so I could tell myself rigging would be invisible so I could skip it. :D

• 3 weeks later...

My kit has just been delivered from Jadar Hobby in Warszawa, so as soon as I get back from my hols in 2 weeks, I'll start this build.

First impressions are fair. Looks a lovely model with some bad flaws such as massive ejection pin marks in the fuselage. I intend to remove all the interior detail and scratch it anyway so no worries. I may line the exterior with very fine tin foil and crumple it around the wing join. Either way, it is still a very nice kit, and with some love and care should look just fine. :deadhorse1:

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about the delays guys, but I just got back from holiday.

This is gonna be unusual; a build with absolutely ZERO aftermarket stuff.

I had high hopes for this bird, especially having 2 other Roden kits, and the reputation Roden have acquired. I have to say my first impressions aren't good. I have found the kit to be covered in flash; parts misaligned when moulded, and the detail very soft in lots of cases. Locating pins and holes are so misformed or shallow as to be of no use.

This going to be a real FUN build omg.gif

First up, the obligatory box and bits shots:

DSC02162.jpg

DSC02163.jpg

Here's a pic of a sprue of parts, and Rodens little joke to it's buyers...those wonderfully pronounced ejector pin marks which leave both a mix of extra plastic and recesses, in the most awkward of places. Just look at the size of those rigging wires too. Filligree this is NOT! I think this is is worst moulded kit I have seen since I returned to the hobby....

DSC02164.jpg

DSC02169.jpg

I did some serious cleaning up of the nacelle parts, and I have also had to run the nacelle halves (the joins) over a piece of wet 'n day paper to even up the joining faces, as these too were dire.

DSC02168.jpg

DSC02167.jpg

Notice I have also opened up the holes on the rear nacelle, over the fuel tanks where the cabane struts later attach. I can't understand why Roden moulded these with no opening.

I now have to work a way of wrinking the external canvas too. The pics I have of the DH-2 show the canvas to be everything from taught to wrinkled to hell and back. I think a few wrinkles will add character. Extra detaling will be added to the interior, such as cabling, and the new cross brace wires. The padded area behind the pilots head is aldo badly moulded, and I'll replace this with 2 part epoxy putty.

The horribly moulded bucket seat will be replaced with a handmade wicker one. Never tried it before, so that will be fun.

......lets see if we can make a silk purse from a sows ear :thumbsup:

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to pull of out this GB as this kit is awful and requires deication and extreme attention to detail to make it viable. It certainly isn't inspiring me at the moment, so I'm off to build an Me 163 Komet!

Sorry to hear that, Sir.

But I sympathize with your decision, on the basis of those sprue shots. I had considered allowing this kit to tempt me from my 1/72 devotion into a large-scale build, and am glad I did not succumb.

Sorry to hear that James, but with the challenges that lie ahead on this one I cant blame you. It is a pity though. cos theses are not the cheapest kits out there and one would expect better moldings.