Who makes the best 14:88 A-10 for the $?

Title says it all. I've found A-10A's made by Italieri, Tamiya, Hobbyboss, Ertl, and Revell/Monogram. The kit does't have to be spectacular, as it's going to be built to hang from the ceiling at my parents house, but it does need to have a full weapons load, like the Nazis had with their Focke-Wulf FW-190.

The Hobbyboss kits usually run on the expensive side. Does the Monogram kit come with weapons and recessed panel lines?

Follow-up questions. I'm going to be building an example of the A-10A squadron that used to fly out of Madison, WI. Does anyone know if decals are available for this squadron, and if those birds got the OIF upgrades before they were replaced by F-16's?

P@T

Edited by Padawan v 2.5

Newbie question.

Do a search and you'll find many discussions on this.

But for what you want to do, go Monogram, always the first choice.

Curt

Newbie question.

Do a search and you'll find many discussions on this.

But for what you want to do, go Monogram, always the first choice.

Curt

If I may...

Currently, Squadron has the Hobby Boss 1/48th scale A-10 N/AW 2- seater on sale for $29.99. In the past, I have seen both the 1 seater and the 2 seater on sale for $40. With patience, you can catch some good deals on these kits, which usually retail for close to $80. In comparing the Monogram, Tamiya, and Hobby Boss kits, let's just say I gave away my Tamiya and of my two Monogram kits, one was given away and the other will be kit-bashed into something TOTALLY different. the two Hobby Boss kits will be built, however.

I can't speak for the Italeri kit, but I hear it's good if you get the (Quickboost I think) replacement fans, since the Italeri ones are poorly made.

Stew

Gotta be the Revell / Monogram kit. You can find them for less than $20. The kit is jam-packed with detail but it does have raised panel lines, which really aren't that bad. You can prime the thing in super dark gray, then paint gray and very lightly sand the whole thing with some 800 grit wet or dry and you get dark panel lines!

Hope this helps-

Pete

Gotta be the Revell / Monogram kit. You can find them for less than $20. The kit is jam-packed with detail but it does have raised panel lines, which really aren't that bad. You can prime the thing in super dark gray, then paint gray and very lightly sand the whole thing with some 800 grit wet or dry and you get dark panel lines!

Hope this helps-

Pete

I second this- especially for the A-10's out of Madison you are talking about. I don't think they had the LASTE mods but I could be wrong.

I also did the exact same panel line technique Pete mentions above. Anything I sanded off accidentally I drew back in with a pencil.

The Monogram/Revell kit is a GREAT kit for the money.

Thank you to those with helpful replies.

As for those who can't be bothered with a "Newbie" question, well first I think you have me confused with someone else, and second, if you don't want to answer the question, then why waste your time replying.

P@T

Thank you to those with helpful replies.

As for those who can't be bothered with a "Newbie" question, well first I think you have me confused with someone else, and second, if you don't want to answer the question, then why waste your time replying.

P@T

Well I read allot of wasted replys that answer nothing here, but if you care to look again I did answer your kit question.

And the others spoon fed you the rest of the information that you "can't be bothered with" to look up yourself.

Great way to start off on the wrong foot there, welcome to ARC.

Curt

I can't speak for the Italeri kit, but I hear it's good if you get the (Quickboost I think) replacement fans, since the Italeri ones are poorly made.

The Italeri kit fans have the wrong number of fan blades, a bonehead error.

They then tried to market a resin "detail up" set ($40 or so) with a resin engine.......... that had the wrong number of fan blades, again.

sigh

Ken

Revell/Monogram and ya get a good set of weaps to go along with it.

The Italeri kit fans have the wrong number of fan blades, a bonehead error.

They then tried to market a resin "detail up" set ($40 or so) with a resin engine.......... that had the wrong number of fan blades, again.

sigh

Ken

Hey Ken, it's simple they're makin' ya pay for their mistake twice!!!... :D

Edited by Angels49
Well I read allot of wasted replys that answer nothing here, but if you care to look again I did answer your kit question.

And the others spoon fed you the rest of the information that you "can't be bothered with" to look up yourself.

Great way to start off on the wrong foot there, welcome to ARC.

Curt

Well I apologize Curt, I was lead to believe that this community was filled with knowledgeable people eager to assist. I've been building models for twenty years, earned awards at every level of competition, scratch-built master patterns for many successful resin kits, and have been involved in internet modeling communities for many years. I am by no means the best builder around, nor even the best one here, however "Newbie" certainly doesn't apply. You should take a moment to consider that perhaps it is you who has gotten off on the wrong foot with me, not the other way around.

There are many, many threads here asking the same sort of question I opened with, without the more specific following questions. Yet you chose mine to police about wasting your time. Hey, if you thought it was repetitive, don't reply. Simple, easy, unoffensive, and it lets you spend your time more productively elsewhere.

P@T

I second this- especially for the A-10's out of Madison you are talking about. I don't think they had the LASTE mods but I could be wrong.

Nope, you're right. I got an email back from someone at Truax, and they started cycling out the A-10A in 92, way before the OIF mods.

P@T

Well I apologize Curt, I was lead to believe that this community was filled with knowledgeable people eager to assist. I've been building models for twenty years, earned awards at every level of competition, scratch-built master patterns for many successful resin kits, and have been involved in internet modeling communities for many years. I am by no means the best builder around, nor even the best one here, however "Newbie" certainly doesn't apply. You should take a moment to consider that perhaps it is you who has gotten off on the wrong foot with me, not the other way around.

There are many, many threads here asking the same sort of question I opened with, without the more specific following questions. Yet you chose mine to police about wasting your time. Hey, if you thought it was repetitive, don't reply. Simple, easy, unoffensive, and it lets you spend your time more productively elsewhere.

P@T

Newbie question... reffering to your stance here at ARC, not modeling wise.

Why?

Because there is a very good search feature here in the ARC Forums.

Of course, you can also take your time to go over at Hyperscale, Modeling Madness, and Cybermodeler to look for reviews of the kits, ARC is not the only place where you can get information of the A-10.

And you could also visit ARC's front page, in the gallery, there are lots of A-10 models you can compare.

I wouldn't start accusing a regular member if i wasn't sure of what he really meant.

Take your time to think about someones post meaning.

THINK before you post, is ARC's motto.

Okay, I don't want to hijack this thread and I hope Padawan doesn't mind me asking this. I only like to build Cold War stuff. If I have the chance to build a Cold War version of a certain aircraft, I'd rather do it than a modernised one. So my question is a bit more specific than Padawan's. If I want to build an A-10 as they looked like say, in 1985-1987, which should I get? In 1/48th, of course.

Ricardo

Newbie question... reffering to your stance here at ARC, not modeling wise.

Why?

Because there is a very good search feature here in the ARC Forums.

Of course, you can also take your time to go over at Hyperscale, Modeling Madness, and Cybermodeler to look for reviews of the kits, ARC is not the only place where you can get information of the A-10.

And you could also visit ARC's front page, in the gallery, there are lots of A-10 models you can compare.

I wouldn't start accusing a regular member if i wasn't sure of what he really meant.

Take your time to think about someones post meaning.

THINK before you post, is ARC's motto.

As it turns out, I've done exactly that. Your reply was not a problem, I took your advice and got some of the information I needed about the kits. What it didn't answer was which of the kits had a full weapons load out, if decals for the 176th were available for when the flew hogs, or if their hogs had been around long enough to get the LASTE upgrades.

It was not a Newbie series of questions, nor did it deserve a flippant, dismissive reply, regardless of the post count of the member. I thought carefully about what to say in reply to the somewhat rude and presumptuous answer I received. Perhaps you disagree with the end result, that's your right, but I'm not in the habit of taking gruff just for the sake of being the new guy.

P@T

Okay, I don't want to hijack this thread and I hope Padawan doesn't mind me asking this. I only like to build Cold War stuff. If I have the chance to build a Cold War version of a certain aircraft, I'd rather do it than a modernised one. So my question is a bit more specific than Padawan's. If I want to build an A-10 as they looked like say, in 1985-1987, which should I get? In 1/48th, of course.

No problem, in fact our questions are almost identical. I'm trying to build an A-10A as it appeared in the 81-92 timeframe, which sounds like the same thing you're asking.

P@T

As it turns out, I've done exactly that. Your reply was not a problem, I took your advice and got some of the information I needed about the kits. What it didn't answer was which of the kits had a full weapons load out, if decals for the 176th were available for when the flew hogs, or if their hogs had been around long enough to get the LASTE upgrades.

It was not a Newbie series of questions, nor did it deserve a flippant, dismissive reply, regardless of the post count of the member. I thought carefully about what to say in reply to the somewhat rude and presumptuous answer I received. Perhaps you disagree with the end result, that's your right, but I'm not in the habit of taking gruff just for the sake of being the new guy.

P@T

Yet, at the end, your main question was answered, and actually, it was already answered that the Revell A-10 has a decent loadout.

It maybe have been seen as a flippant, dismissive reply, to you, but a natural responce in online comunity forums regarding people who just joined the forums.

You decide how you react to someones reply, and it starts to be your problem.

It maybe have been seen as a flippant, dismissive reply, to you, but a natural responce in online comunity forums regarding people who just joined the forums.

You decide how you react to someones reply, and it starts to be your problem.

Odd, I've been a member of online forum communities for many years, and have never naturally responded to a new members' politely stated question by calling them a newbie and telling them to look it up themselves.

I must be doing it wrong.

P@T

Nope, you're right. I got an email back from someone at Truax, and they started cycling out the A-10A in 92, way before the OIF mods.

P@T

I'm thinking these were the same A-10s that flew out of Volk Field North-West of Madison (around the Tomah area). I grew up in the 80's seeing these things fly LOW over I-90 on training excersizes. I was awstruck as a kid, this had a HUGE influence on me wanting to get into modeling and almost had me joining the Air Force or Army out of High School.

Yup, same birds. They would fly up to Volk for the bombing and gunnery range. I lived near Westfield out in the sticks, and those boys would fly in the mud over my house. I remember one day I was helping my dad shingle the roof and one came so close overhead that we could read the tail numbers. I loved watching those planes playing around in the sky growing up.

P@T

The Monogram kit, currently available in a Revell box as kit # 85-5521. Out of the box, it represents an A-10 pre-LASTE mods.

Note if you're buying secondhand kits, back when Revell and Monogram were separate companies Revell had their own 1/48 A-10, it is not up to the standards of the Monogram kit, since the companies merged I don't think it's been reissued.

Ken

Odd, I've been a member of online forum communities for many years, and have never naturally responded to a new members' politely stated question by calling them a newbie and telling them to look it up themselves.

I must be doing it wrong.

P@T

There very different member all around the world, you can't expect everybody to act the same do you?

If you are not going to stand a simple reply like that, maybe ARC is not for you.

I'm out of here, good night and welcome to ARC.