just wondering what the best way to droop the main blades on helicopters. ive tried a hair dryer with pennies weighing down the tips with no real luck and tried hot water and bending by hand but ended up snapping them in the middle.

just wondering what the best way to droop the main blades on helicopters. ive tried a hair dryer with pennies weighing down the tips with no real luck and tried hot water and bending by hand but ended up snapping them in the middle.

Try hotter water, and take it gradually.

Try hotter water, and take it gradually.

I agree with Dez ...hot water. I would make some kind of frame to place the blades so that when they cool off they retain the droop. Keep us posted

Oliver

I've successfully replicated drooped blades on 1/72 HH/MH-53s by simply gripping them at the root one at a time between thumb and forefinger of one hand, and then repeatedly pulling them through at a slight downward angle with the other hand - this technique results in an evenly-spread 'bend' from root to tip, which can be increased or decreased (by turning the blade over) as required until all the blades are evenly matched....

I used an old metal ruler and hot water. I shaped the ruler to my desired droop, attached a blade to it and put it in the hot water and then let it cool. Repeat as needed.

mason

Edited by doupnik

G'day Dcavy. I successfully drooped the blades of the Heller 1/50-scale SA.330 Puma by grabbing an old hacksaw blade and making it into a 'bow' with a piece of string. I attached one blade to the blade with string and tape, then hit it with really hot water (boiled water left to cool for a short time). Leave it on the 'bow' for the night. It worked like a charm, and the droop was consistent for all of the blades. Yes, I had to do it 3 more times (4 blades, you know).

Initially, when trying to bend the first one by hand, I snapped the base/shaft of the blade. Never do that again. Fortunately, I was able to pin & superglue it.

Good luck. George, out..............

I think it all depends on the plastic used for the blades......

I have successfully drooped the blades on the HobbyBoss Mi-8 Hips by just running each blade through my thumb and fingers - quite brutally.

The blades adopted the droop OK.

On other kits I have tried the same thing - only to have the blades snap due to the brittleness of the plastic.

Ken

Can I just say one thing?

As a pilot and being around helicopters DAILY, don't bend the blades evenly... The majority of the bend is closer to the hub, just search the internet for a good picture of the machine you're building. I personally think straight blades look hoaky, but blades bent too much or wrong looks worse.

My opinion...

CHeers

W.

And THOSE are perfect.

Sometimes you see them where they bend almost to the deck, and would not even pass over the tailboom during start up. However, that effect Mr. Pavelow, was just right!

Well better late than never, but l I have to say that the ol thumb and forefinger has worked well for me too.

I know it is simple but seems to work well. I have heated it up with a hairdryer and then done it which seems to make for a more gentle curve. You can manipulate various degrees of droop and shape quite easily. Its the ol story look at photos and copy.

My 5 yr old son has just built a Huey and I practiced again on the blades................Better take a photo soon as he has been playing with it and already bits are coming off!!!