Koster Sopwith Triplane Vac

I started this 1/48 Tripe in the Fleet Air Arm groupbuild last year, but didn't get beyond the rough cutting stage. So here she is, minus the rest of the sheet. This vac is made by Koster (not Areoclub as I said it the proposed builds thread), and comes with cast metal detail parts. I got a Toms Model Works PE detail set to add to the detail. I'm going to build her up as "Black Death" from the Black Flight. The first order of business will be to finish my WW II carrier build entry, but will begin sanding this bird in the mean time.

tripe1.jpg

I build one of these gems years ago.Koster's kits are outstanding ,some of the best vacuform kits the market too.I'm posting a photo of mine not to high jack your thread,but rather to show you just how good the Tripe looks on completion.I hope you don't mind.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg

Here's a link for you to take a look at for additional Tripe photos and more WWI projects of mine.

http://s514.photobucket.com/albums/t342/GJ...W%20I%20Models/

Very nice ! Koster makes a sweet kit, one of the best I've seen. What color did you use for the struts? Nice representation of natural wood.

CH

That does look great! I can't wait to see a rival triplane to my Dr.1.

Gregory, what did you use for rigging?

SLICK

Slick,

Sorry for the delay in answering .The Tripe is rigged using invisilbe thread and painted dark gray (RLM 74). This was done in order to thicken the rigging.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Very nice ! Koster makes a sweet kit, one of the best I've seen. What color did you use for the struts? Nice representation of natural wood.

CH

All I can remember is that I used a humbrol color.Maybe #6 or #9.Hope that helps.Have you had and chance to work on your Tripe?

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Sanding, lots of sanding. Those of us who choose to build Vacs (a strange lot, I might add) use different techniques to remove the parts from the plastic sheets. I outline the part, score and snap, and then sand down until the outline disappears. I staple a sheet of 120 grit sandpaper to a board, and make handles for the parts out of dowel or pencils. then, sand away. Seems to work well enough. This plane has some extra wings to sand....

IMG_2786.jpg