A vehicle that flew - even without wings!

Thanks, fellas!

Guy, umm, you're referring to the openings between the front part of the side doors and rear part of the front cowling (vertically between "Magneti Marelli" and "Speediline"/"Bilstein" decals)? There's opening, I'm sure, but it's not as hollow as one might think.

Exactly Jan. That's the opening I meant. On some cars that area is hollow, perhaps not on this Lancia?

With my English, it seems you could mean either one of those. Am I even close..? :D

FWIW, your English is better than mine! ;) (It's very easy to forget that English is not your first language. :lol: )

Keep on with this build. Everything is coming together beautifully as seen by the pic in your 2009 review thread. That box full of Lancia bits looks great. :D

Happy New Year Jan.

Cheers. :beer4:

Okay, I kinda thought that was what you meant. :woot.gif:

Now, there's no deep black hollow hole in there since immediately after the opening there's a wall as seen for example on this photo (just click the "plus - all sizes" to get it bigger):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonysphotos/240925780/

It would appear that there's some kind of opening because I thought it would be an air outlet for the hot air coming through the radiator. I know the PE mesh grille on the bonnet is one, but this could further enhance the flow.

Thanks for the kind words, Guy! If you speak a weird and very marginal language like Finnish, when nobody else in the world understands you, you just have to master several foreign languages in order to survive abroad - or on the internet. It also helps that we don't dub movies and television programmes.

I hadn't joined the body and the chassis for a long time, but in order to check fit on certain areas, I did it today. I also wanted to see how the engine room looks through the rear grille. Before that I had added the mud flaps, which came with a kit and are made of soft, flexible material. They appear to be all too white in the photo, although I added some dirts on dust on them.

P1090320.jpg

P1090317.jpg

Today I've added all the rest fuel and coolant pipes and some electric wiring for the engine bay. One small fluid reservoir (maybe for the clutch) was also scratch-built.

• 3 weeks later...
BTTT ....

Any more updates on this Beauty, Jan ? :unsure:

Gregg

Coming! I had some problems with Mr.Topcoat gloss, which I hope will be solved anytime soon.

The problem was that I just couldn't get a smooth surface with the gloss coat, not even after several layers. Now I'm contemplating whether to polish it, apply a more "wet" coat or use some Tamiya modeling was - or a combination of all these. Had there been no decals on this car, it would've been easy. Just polish the body and probably add wax if needed. But since it has a lot of decals, I thought a protective gloss coat is needed. I also don't know if wax can be applied straight on top of the decals. You see, I'm no expert on car models! :cheers:

I'm not sure about waxing directly on top of decals either, Jan ...

I'd be afraid of tearing or scratching them when applying the wax ...

I'd say the clear coats are the smarter option ...

Gregg

• 1 month later...

The Lancia's been on hold for many weeks now, but I will resume work on it any day now. Thanks for your interest!

I will add another layer of gloss coat and if the finish won't be smooth enough, I'll try to polish it with Micromesh pads and Tamiya compounds. Then it's time for wax, which my supplier (EricYY) doesn't have at the moment and it probably takes weeks before I finally have it here in Finland. It all depends on the gloss coat now and I can't do anything else before that, especially when most of the sub-assemblies and small parts are pretty much finished. So please be patient!

• 2 weeks later...

The final coat of gloss was applied yesterday evening. Now I'll just have to wait it to cure completely and then polish. Still no progress with my shipment (including some modeling wax) from Eric.

The finished head lights, side view mirrors and one of the windscreen wipers (from PE). Now almost all detail parts are ready, but since the body is still in progress there's not much I can do.

P1090699.jpg

P1090703.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
It was my first "dirty" build....lemme tell ya how scared I was to start slathering on the layers!

I can imagine that!

This is my first ever properly made car model (I made half a dozen as a kid, didn't always even bother to paint them), so I'm not going there just yet. Mine will depict a car that has just finished day's special stages and been washed by the mechanics. Shiny from the outside, a bit more dirt on the chassis, suspension and engine. Just like in real life.

Shawn, is that a Hasegawa kit?

yes it is the Hasegawa kit, I highly recommend it as it has the pe, seat belt material and mud flap material included.

The decals are a pain though, each one is 2 decals, white base with color over lay and the rear martini stripes are HUGE!

I used bbq pit ash for the gravel and packed it into the wheel spokes and lightly into the trad then matte coated it.

More Pics of the Integrale

Edited by Shawn M

Yeah, I thought it was a Hase one. I'll probably get one some day, although now I'm not sure if they have (or have had) an 8-valve version in their catalogue..?

I would like to do another Lancia driven by Alen. I already have a Hasegawa Stratos with Studio 27 markings for Alen's car from the late 70's, so Delta would be the next step. Unfortunately there's no styrene kit for the ultimate monster, Delta S4. I really do hope someone would release a kit for it some day...

EDIT:

Thanks for those pics! It looks great. Very realistic!

Edited by janman

The work continues.

I managed to get off almost all of the orange peel texture on the gloss coat. It wasn't very bad even in the beginning, but it left me wondering what it was that I did wrong. I sprayed several coats and every time the same thing. I can get a smooth finish with Tamiya paint sprays but for some reason not with GS stuff.

The sheen doesn't show very well here, I had no time for better pics. Another thing I added were the matt black rubber seals on the windscreen and rear window. The side windows don't have them.

DSC_0471.jpg

DSC_0468.jpg