A vehicle that flew - even without wings!

Just a WAG

Phil

BTW: :worship:

Thanks. I've gone through almost every single picture of 037 I've found from the net - also these. :coolio:

Today I dropped the engine on its place. Some accessories like intake manifold, airfilter and supercharger are also there. Several details are still missing and even more should be made from scratch. At the moment I'm constructing the uppermost section of the timing belt and two pulleys which are visible between the front part of the engine and the fire wall (not yet on these photos).

P1080087.jpg

P1080083.jpg

Wow Jan,...that is stunning rendition of aluminium. When I looked at it, I thought you'd cut up a pie tin and used real metal! :o

Very, very convincing :worship:

I know you brush paint your models so this is all the more jaw-dropping. May I ask, what paint brand and paint colour did you use please?

Cheers,

:coolio:

Thanks, mate!

The paint I'm using is Gunze's "Mr. Metal Color". Aluminium, to be exact. I don't even know if it's meant to brushable but I've brushed it for ages. Not the best stuff for bigger areas since it dries very fast. That's why I would never brush paint a BMF aircraft with it.

Hiya!

Great job there Janman!

I´ve built a quite a few cars recently and I think I´m starting to get the hang of it so if it is something you wanna know about painting or polishing or something else just shoot me a PM or reply in the thread. And I´ll keep looking at this modelling masterclass.

A car I built not long ago.......Very much recommended If you wanna have another go!

1/24 Fujimi Ferrari F430 Spider. (Iknow It´s missing the rearview mirrors I´ve added them now) :D

7.jpg

2.jpg

Cheers!

Emil

Edited by nr1forme

Oh, that's an awesome 430! Simply beautiful.

I've been thinking about some older Ferrari models, from the 60's and 70's. Painting them would be another challenge for me and I'm happy to hear some help is available! My current build is probably not that hard to pull through since I'm using Tamiya spray white and I seem to be able to get quite a smooth finish with it. Also, I think white as a colour is much more forgiving than for instance red. Being a racer with quite a bit of decaling and not a production car where the paint finish would be much more important might help a bit too.

This Lancia is just something I've been wanting to do for a long time since it's my favourite rally car ever and was driven by my favourite rally driver. I was lucky enough to see it live in the mid 80's here in Finland during the Thousand Lakes Rally. Those were the days...

New photos later in the evening. Thanks for looking!

Detailing the engine.

Since part of the timing belt is slightly visible between the front end of the valve covers and the firewall behind the drivers, I decided to add it. Naturally there should be more pulleys and another two belts for the supercharger, oil and water pumps etc. but they really can't be seen after the cockpit part is installed.

P1080103.jpg

The ignition wires were simply scratched from thin metal wire and the black hose on top of the supercharger's pop-off valve was made from electric wire insulation.

P1080105.jpg

The silver coloured box in the middle of the engine room was also scratch-built. Some missing details include the oil and coolant water reservoirs and a couple of hoses, none of which are included in the kit.

P1080106.jpg

More details for the engine.

Upper right corner, the oil tank and its filler cap built from scratch -apart from the cap itself which is included in the kit. For some reason there's four of them although only two is needed for the fuel tanks. Also some hoses were added.

P1080108.jpg

The rear wheel arches lack part of the fenders. The main part is on the rear cowling, but these are needed as well since the area between the fenders and the firewall includes the fuel tanks (on both sides). The yellowish brown tank up from the silencer is another scratched itemn. Shame that I still haven't figured out what it is for.

P1080109.jpg

P1080114.jpg

Thanks, Gregg! I'm glad you like it even though rallying has never had that strong foothold in the States.

Although the bonnet will stay closed, I added some struts for the front space frame and coolant hose for the radiator (not painted/detailed yet). The reason can be seen here: the PE mesh from the Studio 27 set which reveals some of these details.

The front framing and suspension would need drastic changes and a lot of other scratched details to be accurate. It's clearly not meant to be like that - and doesn't need to be either since all the kit meshes are of "blind" type made from styrene.

Another thing I'm going to add is the spare tire, which is not included in the kit. Solution is to build one out of scratch.

P1080138.jpg

P1080140.jpg

P1080147.jpg

Scracth-built coolant expansion tank and its cap. Needs some painting and a few hoses.

P1080144.jpg

The instrument panel is reasonably well executed though there's clearly a lot of variation between individual machines due to driver preferences and other modifications. The decal in the middle doesn't appear to be accurate and I'll probably paint over part of it. The steering wheel spokes should have openings on them

so I'll have to add them. No trip meter is provided for the co-driver so that needs to added as well.

P1080150.jpg

P1080149.jpg

Jan,

That is top-notch scratch-building. The header tank looks like it is a kit part.

The etched grille will be a vast improvement over the molded detail and should afford a glimpse inside. Talking of that etch.....any chance of closer look at the mesh pattern please? It looks like a honeycomb style which would be ideal for the back of the AN/AAQ-28 pod on my current build.... :whistle:

I saw this car on a Discovery channel documentary featuring the rally of Finland and the notorious yumps section. It looked fantastic. :thumbsup:

Keep up the great work.

:cheers:

Glad you enjoyed the link, Holmes, as you can see some pretty good talent in the Rally world attend the race and it seems to be getting bigger each year ...

I digress though, I don't want to hi-jack Jan's wonderful build thread ... :lol:

Gregg

Jan,

That is top-notch scratch-building. The header tank looks like it is a kit part.

The etched grille will be a vast improvement over the molded detail and should afford a glimpse inside. Talking of that etch.....any chance of closer look at the mesh pattern please? It looks like a honeycomb style which would be ideal for the back of the AN/AAQ-28 pod on my current build.... :bandhead2:

I saw this car on a Discovery channel documentary featuring the rally of Finland and the notorious yumps section. It looked fantastic. :D

Thanks, geedub! I want to make this look right since I really do love the car in question. And what comes to the driver, he'll always be the number one rally driver in my books.

Here's a shot of the mesh. Not a honeycomb style. :shoot:

P1080171.jpg

STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFULLY !!!

Thanks, Holmes!

Glad you enjoyed the link, Holmes, as you can see some pretty good talent in the Rally world attend the race and it seems to be getting bigger each year ...

I digress though, I don't want to hi-jack Jan's wonderful build thread ... :explode:

Gregg

It was a great link, Gregg! Just the right place to post it. I'm glad to see rallying is live and kicking in the US as well. Unfortunately the guys are still fairly unknown on this side of the globe and on the WRC events but maybe one day!

Here's the almost finished "fake" spare wheel. Everything scratched from styrene sheet. The rim needs some paint and that's it. Bear in mind that the front frame/suspension details are not supposed to 100% correct since most of it will be hidden.

P1080164.jpg

Corrected steering wheel with cut-outs on the spokes.

P1080168.jpg

The backside of the seats is supposed to look like carbon kevlar, just like the door panels and the intake on top of the engine. I started with flat black and added a couple layers of yellowish brown paint with a pretty dry brush to achieve a bit more realistic looking effect.

P1080166.jpg

The fuel tanks are a must if one wants to show the car with the rear cowling up. The second photo shows the situation without tanks. Looks quite empty! Some fuel pipes still needed.

P1080315.jpg

P1080108.jpg

The seat belts were constructed from wine bottle foil and original kit decals. Aluminum tape was used on the firewall as heat insulation/sound proofing material, just like on the real car.

P1080313.jpg

Great update Jan, I'm very impressed by the belts. The foil folds smoothly in a very similar method to cloth and with the addition of the decals, they look very realistic.

I agree that the addition of the fuel tanks is a major enhancement. The engine bay is taking shape beautifully now.

I keep having to take another look at the metal of the chassis. Whether by accident or design, that aluminium is some of the most convincing I've ever seen. Looking into the window of the car in the pic you posted without the fuel tanks fitted is like looking at real metal sheet and checkerplate. Perfect :)

That etched grille adds a neat touch in the bonnet. Shame about the mesh pattern though. I'll have to keep looking for a suitable mesh for my Tomcat targeting pod. :)

:lol:

:)

Thanks, geedub! The aluminium certainly looks pretty ok eventhough it's quite hard to get a smooth finish when appying it with a brush. The checkerplate on the floor (driver's side) is actually a piece of steel from the Studio 27 PE set.

The three braided hose lines with painted red and blue fittings on the rear end of the gear box were made from thin elastic (rubber) thread covered with metallic foil.

P1080325.jpg