A vehicle that flew - even without wings!

• 4 weeks later...

A bit insignificant detail since it probably can't be seen through the bonnet mesh. I did it anyway... Please keep in mind that because the bonnet will stay shut, I haven't even tried to add all the details needed for 100% accuracy. Only things that might be seen through the mesh are there. The spare wheel and it's ratchet lashing (both built out of scratch) are now finished.

DSC_0848.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your continuing interest, Guy!

The problem is a delayed shipment from Hong Kong. I don't know if it's really delayed, but for me it's starting to feel like one eventhough I'm aware that surface mail can take quite long (ca. two months since it was posted).

I'm eager to finish this build but due to factors beyond my control I still have to wait.

You are doing a really great work :taunt:

I always loved the Lancia 037, I have seen her since the first test runs near my home in the 1982 until the end of the carreer

Roberto

Edited by Drake64
Thanks for your continuing interest, Guy!

The problem is a delayed shipment from Hong Kong. I don't know if it's really delayed, but for me it's starting to feel like one eventhough I'm aware that surface mail can take quite long (ca. two months since it was posted).

I'm eager to finish this build but due to factors beyond my control I still have to wait.

We're just getting antsy too, Jan ... :jaw-dropping:

Can't wait to see this beauty all buttoned up ... :jaw-dropping:

Gregg

• 1 month later...

It's ALIVE!

The Tamiya modeling wax and some other stuff I had ordered from HK finally arrived so I can resume work on the Lancia. I just added the drivers' name tag decals and after they've fully dried and cured it's time for a wax treatment. (The decals were still missing since I was sure the Martini colours would shine through the white decals. The solution was there all the time - pieces of white decals under the name decals - but only today I managed to finish decaling the body.)

A small update. Cushions for the roll cage side bars seen in the middle of the photo between the seat and the steering wheel. Made from black electric wire insulation.

P1100069.jpg

The project gathers more pace.

The photos probably don't show it, but the body was treated with Tamiya wax. Nice stuff and easy to use. Also added were the headlights, rear view mirrors, door handles and the hood pins.

P1100142.jpg

P1100146.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I felt the cockpit still needed something and that something were the cables for the driver/co-driver intercom made from thin wire and small bits of a broken drill bit for the plugs.

DSC_0495.jpg

Another small detail is visible on several photos taken during the '84 Tour De Corse (also on the Hasegawa box cover). Alen had obviously hit something on some tight corner and damaged the front spoiler. Due to that or some earlier hit the mechanics had put some duct tape near the right indicator. The tape was made from masking tape that was painted with aluminum. It looks a bit too silvery at the moment so I'll probably filter it down with some grey.

DSC_0499.jpg

The center and the rear body are now connected for the first time. The hinge pins are just temporary since the point was to see how well the parts fit. Adjusting the hinges has been quite of a job.

DSC_0503.jpg

Next I'll attach all the windows.

Hi Jan, good to see you back on this, great update. :cheers:

I'm enjoying seeing all of the tiny detail elements like the comms chords and the duct tape. Lovely attention to detail that really brings this little Lancia to life. :nanner:

Now I'm eager to see how the bodywork looks with all of the glazing installed.

:rofl:

Guys, I'm glad you like it!

Glazing is now installed and I'm very happy to notice (now that the glue has dried) that I was able to do it without messing up those large transperancies. It certainly was a bit different job than when working with small 1/72 canopies. After I've applied a couple of decals on them, I can post some photos.

looking great!

Are you going to dust 'her up a bit? If so I wouldn't worry about the silver duck tape...a pin wash of dust around it and some pastels for dust would make it look spot on.

Great job on the fiberglass damage to the spoiler!

Thanks, Shawn!

I'll leave the body pretty clean. The chassis, engine bay, wheel wells etc. are weathered to represent the normal level of dust and grime from a tarmac rally. The photos I've seen (taken during the race) show a pretty clean looking car without much visible dust on the body and since mine will represent a car that has been washed by the mechanics after the day's special stages, it will look quite clean from the outside.

As this is my first car model, I've concentrated on the basic issues like getting a really shiny paint finish. Dust and mud will enter the picture much later. :soapbox:

The last update... well, before The last update. :D

All the transparencies and their respective decals are on their place. The PE windscreen wipers come from the Studio 27 set and are very delicate, at least when compared to the kit wipers. The rear view mirrors needed small support braces between the mirror casing and the side doors.

I guess that's about it then! Now I only need to come up with suitable hinge pins so that I can finally join the rear deck lid and the body, attach the right rear wheel (problems with the polycap) and reattach the aerial on the roof (accidentally broken off).

The body/chassis attachment pins below the doors also need some touch up.

DSC_0560.jpg

DSC_0561.jpg

Edited by janman

dont forget brake dust!

Every time we had a tarmac stage the wheels were always covered in brake dust.

Standard stages covered my car in everything...leaves,mud,dirt,gravel,dust,blah blah blah

I miss my rally car :wacko:

Outstanding Jan. :thumbsup:

The glazing looks great with all of the decals on board.

You've done a tremendous job with your little Lancia and I'm eager to see some shots of her posed outside in the sunsine.

May I make an observation? The kit tyres remain fully round with only the weight of the plastic on them. Obviously real vehicles weigh more so the rubber squashes. Any plans to replicate that weighted look? Could you shave off a sliver of rubber from each tyre to simulate the real deal?

I hope you get the hinges sorted soon, I can't wait to see her in all her glory.

:coolio: