Go easy on me! This is my first WIP and first time scratchbuilding. I picked up this kit from a swapmeet and didn't realize how crappy it is until I read about it in other forums. That's when I decided to treat this as my 'trainer' kit and throw at it every technique I've been reading about on sites like this one.

My modeling style is more 'cool-looking detail' than 'mechanical accuracy' so don't expect every knob and rivet to be accurate. =)

Main and nose gear, with some out-of-scale brake lines. I used stripped cat-5 networking cable for these. I didn't start using solder until later on.

dsc2928.jpg

dsc2927.jpg

Cockpit sidewall details. I traced an outline of the cockpit tub using a pencil and filled with random bits of stuff.

dsc2931.jpg

When I dry fit the wings I realized that the lower wing half is much too thick for the upper wing half. That's when I decided to rout out some offending plastic to make the bottom wing surface flush:

dsc2935.jpg

dsc2933.jpg

..but that resulted in the upper wing half being too thick for the lower half

dsc2936.jpg

So I swiped the protruding plastic with a sharpie

dsc2937.jpg

and now I have markings to serve as a guide. I'll break out the Dremel and grind all of this away. It'll definitely alter the contour of the upper half of the wing but I'll live.

dsc2938.jpg

Some shots of the cockpit. The air hose is stripped speaker wire badly wrapped around some solder. The resin is a True Details set. Knobs are stock plastic disks punched out with my punch & die set.

dsc2972.jpg

dsc2971.jpg

Next time: main gear well shots and the cursed intake

By the way, what does everyone use to photograph your progress? I have an SLR with the following lenses:

17-50mm 2.8

18-200mm 3.5-6.3

I'd like to take shots that have a wider depth of field. Would extension tubes do the trick?