Ok here is my entry

HawkConvSM01.jpg

As you can see the decals and instruction sheet have seen better days. Never mind I am not using the kit decals anyway.

I started by removing the step that the excuse for an ejection seat (on the left) sits on. I am also replacing the seat with one from the Italeri Hawk 100 kit (as well as using other parts as you will soon see).

HawkConvSM02.jpg

I have borrowed the front cockpit from the Italeri Hawk as well. I backed the instrument panel with some thin sheet and have also widened the side consoles so the cockpit will be a more snug fit.

HawkConvSM03.jpg

HawkConvSM05.jpg

I am also borrowing the tail from the Italeri kit, I was too lazy to scratch up the RWR antenna on the fin :cheers:

HawkConvSM04.jpg

A test fit of the fuselage with new nose attached (from guess where? <_<)

HawkConvSM06.jpg

Finally I have started on the wings, again using Italeri bits to spruce them up. On the left you can see the kit wing fences and on the right those from the Italeri kit attached along with wing tip missile rails.

HawkConvSM07.jpg

That is all for now, a very quick build so far.

Nice work Ray. I had though of something similar along the lines of the 1:48 Neomega conversion some years back and was going to do an RAAF COIN a/c with appropriate What if history for it. The donor kits would have been the same as your build.

:sunrevolves:

MikeJ

Update time.

I have most of the major assembly done, just a little sanding to do. Then onto the paint soon.

HawkAssembledSM11.jpg

HawkAssembledSM12.jpg

I used quite a few pieces from the Italeri kit including the flap track fairings, wing fences and weapon pylons.

Edited by Trojan Thunder

Looking good Ray - damn, you've slapped some putty on that baby ! I've been busy reaming out, sanding and puttying the nose cone & exhaust section you sent me to make them fit my Mirage. Had to do some creative surgery to reduce the diameter of the exhaust.

When it comes to puttying I am not the tidiest person. There were some nice divots around the flap track fairings and a huge seam to fill on the underside of the wings. Once I get some wet and dry and file to it it should look much better.

Edited by Trojan Thunder

The putty has been tidied up and it is getting closer to paint time. Cockpit is done and I am now working a weapons load. I have added a few bits from the Italeri kit to dress it up a little.

Here are the kit weapons pylons. I used the Italeri ones for the inboards which will have tanks mounted on them. I will use these for some air to ground ordnance. Top one has been modified to look more like the Italeri pylon, bottom one is in original condition.

PylonmodsSM.jpg

Top shot

HawkAssembledSM21.jpg

Bottom shot

HawkAssembledSM22.jpg

That's all for now

Edited by Trojan Thunder
  • 4 weeks later...
The things you do. Looks great Ray. Looks almost as if it should have some RAAF decals on it?????Wif???????

regards

Andrew :cop:

Shhh! Don't tell anyone over on AMI, I was hoping this would slip under your radar Andrew. I have a set of 79SQN decals for it. Almost at the decal stage and could be finished by the end of the week if I can stop watching the final series of Battllestar Galactica and get back to the bench!

Nice paint job, cant wait to see it finished.

Julien

Thanks Julien,

I am painting it up in the current RAAF Hawk Mk127 colours and markings with a few tweaks to the tail numbers B)

:thumbsup:

Edited by Trojan Thunder
  • 1 month later...
Looks pretty good to me! Isn't the canopy fixable with some polishing and/or cote of Future?

Cheers,

HÃ¥kan

Thanks HÃ¥kan, It is, I am not too happy with the paintwork as whole so I plan to strip it back and redo the paint and polish up the canopy, not sure when though.

:thumbsup: