AFV Club F-5E test shot pics

4011088892_c620df1b89_o.jpg

F-5E.jpg

Compare the profile of the wing root - the weird kink where LEX starts in AFV Club model and a smooth curve of the real thing. Also note where is the highest point in that curve - way too far back on AFV Club parts.

Pawel

P.S. Don't get me wrong - I'm a big fan of AFV Club armor models, but I'm afraid that this F-5 is not up to the same standard accuracy-wise :thumbsup:

Edited by Vodnik

It is one of their first, and I'm still hopin a bit for the actual kit to be accurate. I do support the aftermarket segment of course, but its kinda sad to see a newly tooled kit that requires major correction. I suppose this occurs even in the best of kit makers (and AFV sets the bar very very high for armor)... ]

Any indication as to when the kit would be out... e.g. Christmas '09?

David

Agree with Fuji on most of the stuff mentioned especially the intake shapes. Just a couple of points though:

1- The gear doors do not sag on shutdown as the door uplocks are mechanical (overcenter device for nose) There is a toggle switch in the MLG well(forgot the side) to unlock the doors (usually done by groundcrew). If left in ops conditon the locks will hold the doors in place even without power. A similar toggle switch behind or on top of the bang seat head rest can be used to open the aux intake grills using just batt/electrical power (for engine wash etc...)

2- The tail ballast is also installed on RF-5s as well.

3- The canopy frame vent is for the cabin press relief valve and not found on early block Es.

Looks like AFV is saving all the late mods for a late production release to maximise profits. Disappointing but normal these days. Cheers

WOW - First thoughts, I'm going to buy one or two for sure. A few things of note. Here is the list with some images:

- The main gear doors are closed. This would only happen with an aircraft powered up. When the aircraft shuts down the main gear doors and air brakes drop down due to lack of Hydraulic pressure. Also, the hinge on the main gear door would have to be altered or a new door included as at the hinge, its folds back on itself. The Monogram kits have this right.

- Positionable Landing Lights. This is usually only on take off and landing which begs the question if the nose gear will be available extended since we saw in earlier test shots that the grills seem to be available open.

- No Chaff & Flare dispenser though this may not be attached at the moment.

- Aft counterweight I believe is just for the F-5F becouse of the aircraft's extended fuselage shifted the center of gravity. It was usually only affixed on Fs with the Radar installed though the F at VFC-111 HAS the radar but no counterweight.

4010323169_568fb05762_o.jpg

Note Gear doors closed here

2870379057_5c6096ed9c_o.jpg

_JRN9348.jpg

4011089408_cb7a142609_o.jpg

More thoughts

The AIM-9P looks really good, needed one with the proper fin angles for quite some time.

The Fuel tanks look nice and I like they included the 150 as well as the 275 versions. I hope there are two of the 275 as well.

Nice ACMI pod though it is of the most basic type. Not to hard to update to more usually seen versions.

Nicely done pylons

And some hopes

Enlarged Vertical Tail

Large LEX

Shark Nose

Vent on canopy frame - not too good a shot of it on the link provided

Chaff & Flare dispenser

Extended Nose Gear

Yup - gotta get me a couple and looking forward to an F

Agree with Fuji on most of the stuff mentioned especially the intake shapes. Just a couple of points though:

1- The gear doors do not sag on shutdown as the door uplocks are mechanical (overcenter device for nose) There is a toggle switch in the MLG well(forgot the side) to unlock the doors (usually done by groundcrew). If left in ops conditon the locks will hold the doors in place even without power. A similar toggle switch behind or on top of the bang seat head rest can be used to open the aux intake grills using just batt/electrical power (for engine wash etc...)

2- The tail ballast is also installed on RF-5s as well.

3- The canopy frame vent is for the cabin press relief valve and not found on early block Es.

Looks like AFV is saving all the late mods for a late production release to maximise profits. Disappointing but normal these days. Cheers

Any opinions on whether the fuselage is pinched enough over the wings?

The detail looks very pronounced in this picture that Gabriel posted

ps7.jpg

Any opinions on whether the fuselage is pinched enough over the wings?

In my opinion it is not pinched enough.

Also I think that the canopy is a bit too narrow (or maybe too tall - the result is that the curve of the frame visible from the front is not quite right).

Maybe the reason for both these problems is the same - the front fuselage can be too narrow...

Pawel

Edited by Vodnik
The more I look at it, the more I think the intakes are off. Too large and too square.

Looks to me like all that's needed is a little addition and re-contouring of the intake lip near the "shoulder" of the intake....

How's the Monogram kit measure up in this area?

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
Guys,

Sorry to (sort of) hijack the thread, but I was over on airliners.net doing

a search for the F5-E and came up with THIS:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Iran---Air/...89f3e17dc1fe3ae

What is it?

Jim

Iranian "Indigenous" Fighter Its an F-5 with canted twin vertical tails. The "Thunder" is a modification of the F-5 but supposedly they are building some brand new ones too. There are some with some very strange squared intakes.

I don't care if it isn't "perfect". I've been waiting on a high quality F-5E for soooooo long.

I do need the enlarged tail for the South American and Asian ones I want to build.

I agree with that.

btw : is there a "perfect kit" out there ? (pink floyd vocal style sound :salute: )

I have always wondered if the guys who shred to pieces kits that have not even been released yet actually "build" models. And of those who build them, how many can match their model building skills to their nit picking skills.

I think model reviewing/criticizing should be a hobby all to itself with its own forum.

I have always wondered if the guys who shred to pieces kits that have not even been released yet actually "build" models. And of those who build them, how many can match their model building skills to their nit picking skills.

I think model reviewing/criticizing should be a hobby all to itself with its own forum.

Of corse not. All those pathetic nit pickers never build models, and when they do, they build awful. I mean, look at for example Zactoman, Skii and geedubelyer. They suck. They should never build models again. :)

Just to add my two bits about the AIM-9J/N/P. Its not horrible, but not right either. The conical part of the seeker should be a little longer and there is only one band around the fuselage (just a bot more than halfway back on the motor). Both of these can be fixed easily with a bit of sandpaper by the modeler. The things that would not be so easy to fix are the rollerons--they clearly didn't understand what is going on there. There is an aerodyanmic fairing in front of the rolleron that begins a bit more than halfway back along the fin, with the rolleron itself being about 1/4 as long as the fin. They seem to have combined the two--a bit of touchup here would be appreciated. Minor compared to some of the other issues pointed out.

Still, looks to be a nice kit!

• 1 month later...

some news from the AFV club site:

contents:

Sharply carved panel lines

Landing gear hatches can be modeled in open or closed position.

Excellent detailed instrument panels.

Option parts included to model opened or closed auxillary air intake.

Flaps can be posed in any angle.

Precision photo-etched parts included.