CVW-8 70's/80's never before seen original shots.

Glad you guys liked them. They were sitting in a box for decades, and some were just negatives that had to be reprinted after the photos got lost along the way.

I'll have to check out that Supercarrier book.

Thanks,

those really make me want to complete my Nimitz Air Wing. I have the S-3 and A-7 done so far. So many more to go. The A-6 and F-14A should be up next.

joe.

to help your search for the Hardcover version

Carriers, United States Naval Air Power In Action

Military Press, New York Crown Publishers copyrighted 1990

ISBN 0-517-01219-7

it's a compilation of 3 Osprey books

Seventh Fleet Super Carriers, Tony Holmes

Super Carriers, Jean-Pierre Montbazet

World Super Carriers, Holmes & Montbazet

it has some of the best "Red Shirt and Yellow gear" pics you can get your hands on, in one chapter

Thanks so much for all the pics you have put up, and the info on the VF-84 lovis schemes.

The more I dig the more questions I have.

Thanks,

those really make me want to complete my Nimitz Air Wing. I have the S-3 and A-7 done so far. So many more to go. The A-6 and F-14A should be up next.

joe.

like these?

carriermodels016.jpg

some more here....

more pictures

Very, very cool pictures. I really enjoyed them. That VF-84 Tomcat in the initial TPS scheme is especially nice.

Thanks again for posting and thanks for your service!

John

Edited by 11bee
Thanks so much for all the pics you have put up, and the info on the VF-84 lovis schemes.

The more I dig the more questions I have.

like these?

carriermodels016.jpg

some more here....

more pictures

Well yes, as a matter of fact, geez nice layout.

BTW, is the Hawkeye an E-2B? because in '77/'78 it was and there are no kits.

maybe soon though if we ever get a 2C maybe someone will do a 2B.

and no Skywarrior in 1/48 either except the resin monster......

joe.

BTW, is the Hawkeye an E-2B? because in '77/'78 it was and there are no kits.

maybe soon though if we ever get a 2C maybe someone will do a 2B.

Fujimi's 1/72 Hawkeye kit was originally molded as an E-2A with the "blunt" nose (IIRC, the A and B are externally identical). Apparently when they did the updated E-2C they modified the tooling, so early model kits are somewhat rare but they're definitely still out there.

More...

SCAN0101.jpg

SCAN0083.jpg

Note that the tail markings here are light gray. They changed them later to the dark gray.

SCAN0106.jpg

Hello DutyCat,

Here are the pics of VF-41 #105 from the book I was telling you about. I don't know what's wrong with my scanner. The pics look terrible! Sorry. :banana: 1st pic is from Super Carriers US Naval Air Power Today by Jean-Pierre Montbazet. This pic was taken January 1983.

VF-41105earlyTPS.jpg

This one is from Colors & Markings: Part 1 Atlantic Coast Squadrons

VF-41105earlyTPSontarmac.jpg

(Van Winkle)

Hope the pics look alright.

V.C.

Fujimi's 1/72 Hawkeye kit was originally molded as an E-2A with the "blunt" nose (IIRC, the A and B are externally identical). Apparently when they did the updated E-2C they modified the tooling, so early model kits are somewhat rare but they're definitely still out there.

1/72 guys get EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"1/72 guys get EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"now, that's funny, I don't care who ya are"

seriously, don't feel bad about us "spoiled" 1/72 guys,,,for every thing you can't get in larger scales, but see listed in 1/72,,,,there's just as many other items you can get that we can't,,,so, it's a wash, haha

but, to get serious for a minute,,,,,there's some great stuff here for "any scale" CVW-8 modelers

Smashing JR pictures! Holly cow! How about some higher rez versions for the Jolly Rogers History Website, pretty please, please, please?....

jherculano@almansur.com

Hey Jose,

When do you plan on updating the JR website?

The pics brought back a lot of memories.

Many of your shots look a lot like the ones I took on NIMITZ in 86-88 (except for the in flight shots -- didn't get that opportunity). In summer 86, the CARGRU commander directed that all the F-14s, A-7s, S-3s and A-6s be pained in tps -- including the CAG birds. By the time we went to sea for Northern Wedding in August 86, the only gull gray and color markings in the Wing were on the E-2s, KA-6s, and SH-3s. This no-color policy continued through the 87 Med cruise , although some "color" (actually shades of gray and blue-gray) markings appeared on the tails of VA-82 A-7Es toward the end of the cruise (after a change in Battle Group Commander).

The pics brought back a lot of memories.

Many of your shots look a lot like the ones I took on NIMITZ in 86-88 (except for the in flight shots -- didn't get that opportunity). In summer 86, the CARGRU commander directed that all the F-14s, A-7s, S-3s and A-6s be pained in tps -- including the CAG birds. By the time we went to sea for Northern Wedding in August 86, the only gull gray and color markings in the Wing were on the E-2s, KA-6s, and SH-3s. This no-color policy continued through the 87 Med cruise , although some "color" (actually shades of gray and blue-gray) markings appeared on the tails of VA-82 A-7Es toward the end of the cruise (after a change in Battle Group Commander).

What about the Vikings? All during that 86/87 time frame we had very few full TPS Vikings. Most were GG over white with gray insignia and markings. Even through the 89 TR cruise we never went full TPS. We had several GG ovr white Vikings on that cruise..I'd say about half and half.

Smashing JR pictures! Holly cow! How about some higher rez versions for the Jolly Rogers History Website, pretty please, please, please?....

jherculano@almansur.com

e-mail inbound......

Hello DutyCat, your pictures of the Jolly Rogers F-14s are great. I have a question about one of the pictures where the Tomcat is set up on the catapult, and it is tied down to the deck. It also looks like the pilot and RIO arent wearing any helmets, or masks. Can you tell me what was going on in this picture. Thanks again, Herbie.

As Duty Cat states above the two photos, They are pulling 'Alert 5' which is, they're set up at the catapult ...

Alert 5 is just what it sounds like, get launched within 5 minutes to defend the battle group from any air threats inbound ...

And from the Tailhook Association Glossary:

Alert 5

A manned aircraft can launch within five minutes. The Navy has time restrictions as to how long a crew can stand an Alert-5 watch. Similarly, Alert 15, Alert 30, Alert 60.

While sitting in the cockpit, the crew tries to relax a bit ...

HTH ...

Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost