Just started a couple days ago.

This is my very first Matchbox kit so let's see what I've gotten myself into :coolio:

It seems to be a story of gaps and sink marks. The gap between the back of the cockpit cover and the fuselage took a .020" shim to fill.

DSC06919-vi.jpg

DSC06918-vi.jpg

The engine inlets were plagued with sink marks.

DSC06910-vi.jpg

But I've pushed through to reach this point.

DSC06920-vi.jpg

The canopy has been futured and masked, the fuel tanks are ready for paint and the fuselage is now with child.....

DSC06917-vi.jpg

I now take a day off for the IPMS/Cinci annual picnic but monday should see me back at the bench.

DarylH , it looks good BUT what are SINK MARKS...

Depressions in the plastic from the moulding process. Both inlet cowls had numerous depressions that had to be filled.

This is one kit where the customary Matchbox fit/engineering seems to have deserted them. Maybe the parts breakdown is a little too ambitious?

DarlyH, you seem to be motoring on quite nicely despite the hassle! Being completely biased I would say the effort required is well worth it.

peebeep

Yikes! Those are some huge gaps! It looks like the modular parts (fuselage top and the nose) that can be changed out for different versions didn't fit well. I had the same problem in my ongoing Wellesley build.

From the looks of it, though, you've managed to fill and sand effectively! :whistle:

:worship:

Mike

Nice work - i want to build an RAAF Korean war meteor one day. My mates Dad flew them in Korea as well as Canberra Bombers. He has a nice shell fragment souveneir he dug out of the rear cockpit of his Canberra!

Maybe next M'Box GB, i'll do the Meteor.

Nice work - i want to build an RAAF Korean war meteor one day. My mates Dad flew them in Korea as well as Canberra Bombers. He has a nice shell fragment souveneir he dug out of the rear cockpit of his Canberra!

Maybe next M'Box GB, i'll do the Meteor.

Thommo,

I have the MPM boxing of the meteor http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=MPM72543 it has all of the 77 Sqn decals in it. I am not using the kit for the 77 Sqn machine, I got it as there is a Poto recon nose in the boxing as well.

If you want the decal sheet then let me know.

Julien

Real life has kept me away from the bench for a few days but I've just discovered this.........

meteor_72_fp.jpg

I never thought I would see fresh decals for this old thing!

The order is in :yahoo:

The new decal sheet is here and it looks great! Seven days from order placed to my bench in Hooterville is very good. The Meteor will now return to the bench which it will share with my WAGB Hudson.

Edited by DarylH
  • 1 year later...

I don't seem to remember the seam issues, but perhaps I just was lucky with the kit I got. Finished basically OOB with decals to represent WS743 in 1958 while on strength with 85 Squadron at Church Fenton. Matchbox has long been a favorite of mine as they are a fun build.

2v30jlk.jpg

1671owi.jpg

2eocfgh.jpg