ICM Spitfire

Hi all, I was thinking about buying 1/48 scale ICM Spitfire Mk VII, and I was wondering about the quality of the model brand since I have never heard of ICM. I'm a relative beginner when it comes to models so I thought I would see what you guys think about it. Thanks

I'll do this backwards:

Cons

Soapy plastic-kinda funky to work with.

Sink marks and ejector pin marks abound

Cowl doesn't fit over engine if installed

Pros

Plenty of detail

Said to be the most accurate Spitfire out there in 1/48

It's a nice little challenge if you're up for it. I'll build more.

Ken

I've only built one model from ICM, a Soviet T-35 heavy tank, it wasn't a bad kit but it was a bit different. Most of the East European kits I've built have no locating pins which takes a little getting used to. Many are also limited run plastic kits so the sprue is thicker, and you occasionally need to reshape parts here and there. Another thjing I have found with many of the Eastern European kit makers is they seem much more willing to share molds than western kit makers, so its kind of hard to know what to expect. Is it really a new kit, or just a rebox of someone elses kit? I've seen that same T-35 kit under the spam spam spam name and I believe Eastern Express.

I've found most of the Eastern European kits are decent but take some work, more Matchbox or Airfix not Tamiya or Hasegawa standards. On the other hand most are priced like Airfix or Matchbox kits so buying them isn't too painful.

ICM Spitfire kits are ICM, nobody else. The poor fit of the cowling can be alleviated by leaving out most of the engine (the engine's the wrong mark, so it's no great loss,) and then fitting the cowling complete.

Edgar

I'll do this backwards:

Cons

Soapy plastic-kinda funky to work with.

Sink marks and ejector pin marks abound

Cowl doesn't fit over engine if installed

Pros

Plenty of detail

Said to be the most accurate Spitfire out there in 1/48

It's a nice little challenge if you're up for it. I'll build more.

Ken

Ken is correct except that sink marks and ejector pin marks have improved in later issues. The latest kits in the white boxes are the best of the series. I have a few of the later Spits and they look really good.

Apparently the newest releases are molded by Dragon (so it says on the box). They're reputed to be much better, and have none of the sink mark issues of the early ones molded in Russia.

It's arguably the best looking (ie: most proportionally accurate) Spitfire in 1/48.

J

ICM Spitfire kits are ICM, nobody else. The poor fit of the cowling can be alleviated by leaving out most of the engine (the engine's the wrong mark, so it's no great loss,) and then fitting the cowling complete.

Edgar

Very true - the engine is very fiddly to construct andthe installation is not very robust anyway, so as Edgar says leave it out. It's also a good idea to reduce the width of the firewall slightly, this makes for a much better-fitting wing root join. As said above, it is (imo) the best long-nose Merlin Spit on the market in 1:48. Early releases of the IX did have sink mark problems, this was improved fairly early on in production.

Here's what can be done with the IX with a bit of TLC and some Carpena decals.

IMG_0022.jpg

I've built one or two ICM kits and they're not bad provided you don't mind a little work. I've got a MiG-3 and various Yaks in the loft just waiting for my recurring Eastern Front interest to raise its head again.

Edited by MikeC

The "HF VII" boxing is usually much better about molding quality; mine has very little sink marks or easy to overcome.

More difficult is the wing to fuselage joint, a design shortcoming of all the series...