Iwata Revolution vs. Iwata HP-CS?

Having given up on my Paasche VL, I am now in the market for a new airbrush. I have only heard good things about the Iwata Revolution and HP-CS models. I have heard the same things about all Iwatas in general. I do not want to break the bank and the most I would spend would probably be around $120 if the HP-CS is worth it.

My only problem is that I have heard of people saying that the HP-CS is more for details whereas the Revolution can handle the larger parts that need to be painted. I mainly do 1:48 and 1:72 so I wouldn't need anything too big anyway. What do you guys think? Could the CS handle fuselage, wing paintjobs?

Let me know if you have any opinions on the Revolution vs the HP-CS.

As always, thank you!

Carlos

I have an Iwata HP-C+ and don't know how similar it is but if it's anything like mine, then it will just the job you want. I have a standard 0.3mm nozzle and it's great for general coverage down to detail stuff. I also have some 0.2mm fittings for the same airbrush and that takes it to a whole new level.

Wonderful airbrush, handles and cleans well and is capable of just about anything.

And I have a (gravity feed) Revolution, having used the Paasche for many years. The Revolution is a great airbrush. I've used it for 1/32, 1/48 and 1/72 models with much success. Ditto acrylic and oil-based paints. I like the way it squirts and the way it feels it my hand.

It does need a thorough cleaning after a painting session. If I don't do that the needle jams up once in a while. I think cleanliness is important for any airbrush, though.

So, you have two different votes for Iwatas. You've got the brand right. :cheers:

I think there are a bunch of posts on this forum about various airbrushes. A search should reveal those.

Rick in Maine

I have 3 Iwatas. CM-C, HP-C+ and HP-CS. Love them. Kinda stumbled onto a situation where I got all 3 new for less than $300.00. But if I was to stick with just one, can't miss with gravity fed Revolution.

I have the HP-CH as well as the Revolution-CR and I use the Revolution-CR for ~ 90% of the spraying I do. However, the HP-CH could be used for all my spraying but I reserve this brush for the detail stuff. You can do very fine lines with the Revolution-CR with practice, so I don't think you can go wrong with either brush but if I had to choose one to cover all the bases, then I would get the HP-CS.

If you're ok about spending the money then go for the HP model. This will easily give enough coverage for spraying large areas on a model but is also precise enough for detailing work. I think that the larger 0.5 nozzle would make any detailing more difficult. Also a larger nozzle and needle combination requires more pressure which is tricky for small scale work.

If you're ok about spending the money then go for the HP model. This will easily give enough coverage for spraying large areas on a model but is also precise enough for detailing work. I think that the larger 0.5 nozzle would make any detailing more difficult. Also a larger nozzle and needle combination requires more pressure which is tricky for small scale work.
For detail work I lower the pressure and thin the paint more.

Just what I do. Seems to work.

I've got an HP-CH which is probably the best investment I ever made. However, it's not designed for spraying larger areas and I'm planning to get my Revell Pilot working for larger stuff... The CH is highly recommended, although I would go with the smaller cup unless you really need the larger one...

I had an Iwata HP-C 2 years ago and it was total crap; by far, the worst of the 5 airbrushes I've owned in over 30 years of model building. For 6 months, I tried dozens and dozens of paint/thinner/air pressure combinations and never got nearly as fine results as I get with my 23 year old Badger 150. I had .3 and .2 needle/tip assemblies and with either one, the paint just splattered. After all the good things I'd heard about Iwata, I was really disappointed. I was expecting to be able to retire the old Badger but after the Iwata experience I have a new found appreciation for Badger airbrushes. Fortunately, I was able to sell it for what I paid.

My Revolution CR turned me around in airbrushing. I was using a 155 Anthem and though it was a great airbrush (seriously), but I was having a difficult time getting the thinning ratios right, the results weren't the best, trigger wasn't as smooth as I had hoped, tough to clean...etc, etc. (It was probably me.) I was literally about to give up on airbrushing, and I was only really using it for Warhammer 40k mini's....

Then I bought the Iwata. I have become much, much more confident with my airbrushing. Light years. Between the super thin lines (thinning and pressure) to the mixing (not sure why- just works better) and the hyper-smooth trigger, I am sold. I don't mind the cleanup because it's easy. I don't mind loading other colors, because it seems easier. I just am more confident and even more willing to experiment. I'm not afraid to airbrush anymore. That was cool for me.

Does it all sound hokey? Sorry if it does, it is what it is.

My Revolution CR turned me around in airbrushing. I was using a 155 Anthem and though it was a great airbrush (seriously), but I was having a difficult time getting the thinning ratios right, the results weren't the best, trigger wasn't as smooth as I had hoped, tough to clean...etc, etc. (It was probably me.) I was literally about to give up on airbrushing, and I was only really using it for Warhammer 40k mini's....

Then I bought the Iwata. I have become much, much more confident with my airbrushing. Light years. Between the super thin lines (thinning and pressure) to the mixing (not sure why- just works better) and the hyper-smooth trigger, I am sold. I don't mind the cleanup because it's easy. I don't mind loading other colors, because it seems easier. I just am more confident and even more willing to experiment. I'm not afraid to airbrush anymore. That was cool for me.

That's how I feel about the HP-C+

Having given up on my Paasche VL, I am now in the market for a new airbrush. I have only heard good things about the Iwata Revolution and HP-CS models. I have heard the same things about all Iwatas in general. I do not want to break the bank and the most I would spend would probably be around $120 if the HP-CS is worth it.

My only problem is that I have heard of people saying that the HP-CS is more for details whereas the Revolution can handle the larger parts that need to be painted. I mainly do 1:48 and 1:72 so I wouldn't need anything too big anyway. What do you guys think? Could the CS handle fuselage, wing paintjobs?

Let me know if you have any opinions on the Revolution vs the HP-CS.

As always, thank you!

Carlos

You can get pretty fine lines with the Revolution. I bought mine a few weeks ago, and I love it.

- Brad

Looks like I'm not the only one with problems. I had the same airbrush, with all the problems you're describing... :bandhead2: I love the Revolution CR.

- Brad :cheers: