I thought I had better post some actual build pics before I get to the painting stage. This is the Roden Fokker Triplane kit that can really be built as either the F.1 or DR.1, all of the parts are included. The F.1 kit comes with a better cowl and the correct F.1 decals. THis is going to be the famous Voss machine that he was killed in.

Heres an overall pic. The top wing is not glued in place, but fits so firmly that I didn't want to force it off to take the pics.

tripe2.jpg

Heres the best interior shot I could get. The metal framing is painted in an olive(ish) green. Apparently the F.1's had the frame painted in this color, but after some weld failures, they left them unpainted in the production machines, with just a clear laquer ovecoat, so that they could see the welds. I have, however, seen these painted various shades of aluminum and gray. I added the plywood reinforcements from styrene, as they are not in the kit. These were primed white, then streaked with oil paint for graining. I added the Eduard pouch to the sidewall (what a pain!) Fabric is off white to represent clear doped linen. The seat hasn't been installed, and I need to add the Eduard PE part for the compass, and the priming pump, plus the MGs and a few other pieces. I had to add the new coaming from styrene because I sanded off the molded on coaming, which was too narrow anyhow.

tripe1.jpg

I also added the hatch on the bottom of the fuselage from sheet. I still need to add a hinge to it. I just stippled on Stainless steel Metalizer for the firewall with a brush. Not much of it will be seen, and I figure these got pretty much caked with burnt oil

tripe4.jpg

The kit engine is really good. I have only added the tops of 4 of the cylders, as this allows more room for the engine to fit in the cowling, and thats all that can really be seen. I haven't decided yet to go with the kit engine, or the Vector resin engine. The biggest advantage to the Vector engine is that the tops of the cylinders are a little more detailed.

tripe3.jpg

Heres the Vector engine installed in the cowling. The cowling is actually from the Hobbycraft kit, which is just a tiny bit smaller than the kit part, but is spread to the correct size by the engine. It has the correct 2 part riveted face. The cowl in the original Roden kit looked as if it was formed from one solid piece, and the one from the F.1 kit lacks the rivets. The face is hand painted just to see how it would turn out. I cheated on the engine by only using half of the cylinders that Vector provides. Thats all that can be seen, and I can ad the other 5 cylinders and pipes to my second tripe kit, if I so choose. Cylinders from an abandoned Hobbycraft Tripe engine are behind the cowl, just to show something through the cooling holes. The biggest advantage of the Vector kit, other than the slightly better cylinder head detail, is that there are no seems on the cylinders to worry about.

tripe7.jpg

Heres the tail assembly. Roden molded this with a depression in the middle, which shouldn't be there. I filled it with Magic Sculpt and sanded it out.

tripe6.jpg

The undercarriage. I am using the Hobbycraft wheels because I like their shape a little better. They are a bit concave, the Roden wheels are slightly convex.

tripe5.jpg

And my big motivation for getting this thing finished. The Model Cellar Voss figure fron the famous picture. I painted him over a year ago. Absolutely the best 1/32 figure I have ever seen, and a dead likeness of him. My camera and my painting skills don't do it justice. They have just released the Richthofen brothers as well.

Voss.jpg

Edited by JasonB

Couple more interior shots showing the wood grain on the floor, and the left side wooden insert. The ammo can actually has a swirled patten in it thats hard to see in pictures. I used a pointed cotton swab dipped in Stainless steel metalizer and used a circular motion to apply the paint. Still some stuff to do in there, but I got tired of seeing two seperate fuselage halves and buttoned her up. At least this way I can see what can't be seen, and won't worry about some of the stuff on future builds. I can't imagine doing this in any smaller scale.

tripe10.jpg

tripe9.jpg