OT - Hottest 100 songs of all time

Hi All,

Every year, the national youth radio station in Australia's runs the "Hottest 100" music poll. This counts down the popular songs of the year. Every 10 years or so, they have the Hottest 100 of all time where you vote for "your" best songs ever. It was just run this weekend and here is the list. What do you guys think? I think it is ok, some songs should be higher, some lower, some shouldn't be there and some are missing. I must qualify the list and say it is voted more by "alternative" people more than your mainstream Beyonce lovers as you can probably guess.

Let me know your thoughts:

1.Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit

2.Rage Against the Machine - Killing In The Name

3.Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah

4.Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart

5.Radiohead - Paranoid Android

6.Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

7.Jeff Buckley - Last Goodbye

8.Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under The Bridge

9.Foo Fighters - Everlong

10.Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven

11.John Lennon - Imagine

12.Oasis - Wonderwall

13.Radiohead - Creep

14.The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony

15.Radiohead - Karma Police

16.Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

17.Hilltop Hoods - The Nosebleed Section

18.Muse - Knights Of Cydonia

19.Metallica - One

20.White Stripes - Seven Nation Army

21.Powderfinger - These Days

22.Massive Attack - Teardrop

23.Hunters & Collectors - Throw Your Arms Around Me

24.The Beatles - A Day in the Life

25.Pearl Jam - Alive

26.Michael Jackson - Thriller

27.Powderfinger - My Happiness

28.Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees

29.Pixies - Where Is My Mind?

30.Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower

31.Metallica - Enter Sandman

32.New Order - Blue Monday

33.Silverchair - Tomorrow

34.The Living End - Prisoner Of Society

35.Smashing Pumpkins - 1979

36.Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Into My Arms

37.Tool - Stinkfist

38.The Killers - Mr Brightside

39.Pearl Jam - Better Man

40.Nirvana - Come As You Are

41.Michael Jackson - Billie Jean

42.Bloc Party - Banquet

43.The Beach Boys - God Only Knows

44.The Beatles - Hey Jude

45.Queens of the Stone Age - No One Knows

46.Faith No More - Epic

47.John Butler Trio - Betterman

48.Beastie Boys - Sabotage

49.Guns 'N Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine

50.Crowded House - Don't Dream It's Over

51.Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet With Butterfly Wings

52.You Am I - Berlin Chair

53.Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb

54.The Cure - Close To Me

55.Bob Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone

56.Jeff Buckley - Lover, You Should Have Come Over

57.Tool - Forty Six & 2

58.Daft Punk - Around The World

59.Augie March - One Crowded Hour

60.Johnny Cash - Hurt

61.Blur - Song 2

62.Nine Inch Nails - Closer

63.AC/DC - Thunderstruck

64.Violent Femmes - Blister in the Sun

65.Underworld - Born Slippy

66.Elton John - Tiny Dancer

67.Ben Folds Five - Brick

68.Blink 182 - Dammit

69.Jeff Buckley - Grace

70.The Prodigy - Breathe

71.The Smiths - How Soon Is Now?

72.The Shins - New Slang

73.The Clash - London Calling

74.Nirvana - Lithium

75.Green Day - Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)

76.The Stone Roses - Fools Gold

77.Gotye - Hearts A Mess

78.Smashing Pumpkins - Today

79.David Bowie - Life on Mars

80.The Rolling Stones - Paint It Black

81.Pulp - Common People

82.System Of A Down - Chop Suey!

83.Placebo - Every You Every Me

84.Bob Marley & The Wailers - No Woman, No Cry

85.The Dandy Warhols - Bohemian Like You

86.The Beatles - Come Together

87.Coldplay - Yellow

88.The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter

89.Rage Against the Machine - Bulls On Parade

90.Kings of Leon - Sex on Fire

91.AC/DC - Back In Black

92.Bon Iver - Skinny Love

93.Massive Attack - Unfinished Sympathy

94.Modest Mouse - Float On

95.Stevie Wonder - Superstition

96.Daft Punk - One More Time

97.Midnight Oil - Beds Are Burning

98.Led Zeppelin - Kashmir

99.TV on the Radio - Wolf Like Me

100.Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/hottest100_alltime/

*edit title

Edited by Tony P

No Rush? Where's Tom Sawyer? It was #10 on MTV's list of all time greatest rock songs.

With a sprinkling of exceptions, this is a very contemporary list. There is a BUNCH of stuff that should be on this list and a BUNCH of stuff on the list that I have never heard of. Radiohead has three songs on this list. Many of these bands are second tier, not that popularity equates to greatness.

Also, not a single Aerosmith song? Sweet Emotion or Walk this Way?

Not that I am a fan of his music, but isn't Rod Stewart's Maggie May considered a great?

Elton John's Tiny Dancer beat out Rocket Man?

Rolling Stones Gimme Shelter and Painted Black are good choices, but no Satisfaction?

Back in Black is not AC/DC's best song.

G&R made it with Sweet Child O Mine, but not Welcome to the Jungle?

Oh, well, it is easy to be critical. I would not want to subject any top 100 list I might put together to worldwide scrutiny.

Edited by DutyCat

Quite an array of artistes BUT don't the youth of Australia listen to female artistes.......

SO what kind of "alternatives" are the voters....

{ I must say that most of the songs they list here I like,but, it was a thought out loud about female bands etc>>}

:thumbsup: :(

What I find amazing is that there isn't a single U2 song. They are one of the most influential rock bands in the past three decades. Many of the groups on the list have derived their sound from U2. I know, maybe there are so many good U2 songs, they couldn't pick one to put on the list! :whistle: My vote would be for "Where the Streets Have No Name".

I think it's a great list. No sense bellymoaning "They dont' have (my favorite) song".

I have little fear for the Aussie Youth if they are listening to this much good music. I only wish the American list would be as good

not whining here, just observing that apparently "all time" only goes back to the 80's or so? no big band stuff? no jazz? no classical? if in 150 or more years everyone still remembers and knows "killing in the name of" (great song mind you) like they know Beethoven's 5th symphony, i'll eat my hat. an i agree, Tiny Dancer isn't even Elton John's 3rd best song. madman across the water, benny and jetts, burn down the mission...all much better than tiny dancer of couse IMHO.

Bill

And not a single female artist among them, Beyonce or not!

Kev

Not quite. There are a few females in there either as a band member (Pixies, Smashing Pumpkins) or as a vocalist (both Massive Attack songs). But no female solo artist or band, indeed. Which is a shame IMO, as there are some great songs performed by female artists out there.

Edited by Pete

If this was a list of "Best Rock/Pop songs of the last 30 years" I think it would be an excellent list. As a purported list of "Best 100 songs of all time, all I have to say is...

Massive Fail.

Edited by mlicari

I am always amazed by what people pick and their influenzas of what they "think" are the greatest songs with out giving good thought into it.

How about Twinkle Twinkle little star, Over the Rainbow? A few Christmas songs are definitely the best songs of all time. Along with other songs that have been done over and over by many artist/ movies and commercials. How about Twinkle Twinkle little star?

Hey, I look at it this way. This is a survey of Australia youth, the same country whose youth in the early 1980's just loved the Go-Go's song "Arliss the Seal"... of course the song was actually the mega hit "Our lips Are Sealed", but the valley girl accent was a bit confusing to them. But if they can love a song that they think is about a seal called Arliss, I can only imagine what else they listen to! :blink:

I will give them this. I can get behind most music lists that have a couple of Metallica songs, and even a couple of Tool(!) songs on it, even if they aren't even the bands best songs. A little Rage, NIN, G&R don't hurt either. The more I read through this list, the more I like it. No U2 is an absolute travesty, though.

Edited by JasonB

Because the hallmark of a truly "All time great song"is endurance (for me anyway)...

20 years after its release should be the minimum waiting criteria before allowing the inclusion of a song in an all time "great" list.

That would keep a third of the songs at bay...

Being a man of 73 years, I also take exception to the "of all time" nonsense. No Glenn Miller, Frank Sinatra, Hank Williams, Bob Wills, Benny Goodman,Original Jimmie Rogers (The Singing Brakeman), Maybell Carter, Louis Armstrong, and of course none of the classical greats. Where are the Mills

Brothwers, George M Cohan, Stephen Foster, and many more of bygone eras. Many of these artists are still being played 3/4ths of a century after their deaths, again not to mention the great classic composers. Ah, the unbridled arrogance of youth. Hal Sr