I am insulted(TIC)! Australia's military does not have Jet Rangers! They are Kiowas or Bell 206Bs! Would love to see you go nuts on an Aussie one in 1/35th scale. Now that would be someting! Let me know if you need decals?????

Regards

Andrew :cheers:

Ok ok 206's. Next build will be the trumpeter Dolphin helo in 1/35 French Navy version.

206 is on my list.

Oliver

Oliver, having reviewed the posts, I have to admit I was wrong, please except my alopagy(pardon my mispelling)

Hi

no apologies needed here. I was already trying to locate diamond plates to see if I could add to the tank....

Oliver

Hello Shark 64.

I watch your work from the benining but I never post a comment, but now I have to say that your model it´s the best model I haver seen.

Amazing work

Thanks so much for your comments. Happy to hear you like the Huey.

Oliver

Hi Everyone.

I am afraid not much of an update.

In order to work on the cabin I had to deal with the overhead windows.

I know I wanted them to be as crisp as possible so I tried new stuff.

I futured the windows and dipped them in green food coloring...Did not work well. The green food coloring did not attach well.

I tried mixing food coloring and future together....did not work either.

Finally I refutured the windows and applied Envirotex resin mixed with Tamiya clear green....That worked the best

The first two photos are with food coloring

Oliver

001-5.jpg

002-4.jpg

004-2.jpg

005-3.jpg

006-1.jpg

Edited by shark 64
Hi Everyone.

I am afraid not much of an update.

In order to work on the cabin I had to deal with the overhead windows.

I know I wanted them to be as crisp as possible so I tried new stuff.

I futured the windows and dipped them in green food coloring...Did not work well. The green food coloring did not attach well.

I tried mixing food coloring and future together....did not work either.

Finally I refutured the windows and applied Envirotex resin mixed with Tamiya clear green....That worked the best

The first two photos are with food coloring

Oliver

Please excuse my ignorance, but I've heard several people talk about "futuring" parts. can someone tell me what the purpose of putting Future on parts accomplishes?

And, oh yeah... fantastic work Oliver.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I've heard several people talk about "futuring" parts. can someone tell me what the purpose of putting Future on parts accomplishes?

And, oh yeah... fantastic work Oliver.

Hi Chasejk

Go to the main page on ARC and go to" tools and tips" section. There is a section named FUTURE that should tell u what you want to know.

Good luck.

Oliver

We talked about the blue tinted 32nd Cobra canopy a little while back and I did a test. Tamiya clear blue thinned out worked just fine. I would think the Tamiya clear green (thinned) would work for you too. I dunno. Do what you think is best. It is your model after all.

Brandon

We talked about the blue tinted 32nd Cobra canopy a little while back and I did a test. Tamiya clear blue thinned out worked just fine. I would think the Tamiya clear green (thinned) would work for you too. I dunno. Do what you think is best. It is your model after all.

Brandon

My research photos dont show any blue tint for the overhead windows. I did use Tamiya green mixed with resin.

Worked so far..Do you have any photos of your test with the blue. Like to see how it turned out . I might try it with the front windshield.

OLiver

My research photos dont show any blue tint for the overhead windows. I did use Tamiya green mixed with resin.

Worked so far..Do you have any photos of your test with the blue. Like to see how it turned out . I might try it with the front windshield.

OLiver

Oliver,

I think Brandon was only saying that what worked for blue might work for green. If you figure out how to tint the windows consistently please let me know. i've tried most of the same things you did and never got a great result. I have also seen new greenhouse windows made from sprite bottles or some other green clear plastic. given your unparalleled scratch building skill, perhaps you should go that route.

Ray

Oliver,

I have had good luck spraying very thin coats, letting them dry a day or so in between.

Tim

That is my approach as well. Very thin coats, give them time to dry and they will eventually build up into a pretty uniform tint.

Hi Oliver,

Having built a few Hueys with the green upper windows, what I do is mix green food dye with either PVA glue and paint it on or 'Kleer' glue mixed with the green dye. Works a treat.

Regards

Andrew :)

Hi Andrew

Can you take tight photos of the final product

Oliver

Oliver, "I feel your pain", since you can't see me, I am biting my lower lip and making a fist with my thumb over top like Bill used to. I went through several squadron vacu-formed canopies (like 10 or so) when I built my S-3 Viking trying to get the correct half clear half tinted look (the windscreen is not tinted on the real jet), tinting is one of the hardest things to get right. I have never been able to figure out how best to use those Tamyia tinting paints, mostly because they are so hard to thin and airbrush correctly. What worked best in the end was mixing Tamyia smoke (in your case clear green) with Future and lots and lots of trial and error, dipping over and over till it looked right. I have had OK luck with food coloring and future but it tends to seperate since they are not chemically speaking then same thing. I wish someone (Testors are you reading this?) would make a simpler to use product for tinting clear parts, something that was premixed and we didn't spend weeks trying to get it right. But hey that would take the fun out of it right? Good luck, Everett

Oliver, "I feel your pain", since you can't see me, I am biting my lower lip and making a fist with my thumb over top like Bill used to. I went through several squadron vacu-formed canopies (like 10 or so) when I built my S-3 Viking trying to get the correct half clear half tinted look (the windscreen is not tinted on the real jet), tinting is one of the hardest things to get right. I have never been able to figure out how best to use those Tamyia tinting paints, mostly because they are so hard to thin and airbrush correctly. What worked best in the end was mixing Tamyia smoke (in your case clear green) with Future and lots and lots of trial and error, dipping over and over till it looked right. I have had OK luck with food coloring and future but it tends to seperate since they are not chemically speaking then same thing. I wish someone (Testors are you reading this?) would make a simpler to use product for tinting clear parts, something that was premixed and we didn't spend weeks trying to get it right. But hey that would take the fun out of it right? Good luck, Everett

Hi Everett.

I hear you. Tinting canopy can be tricky at times. Heres another fun one to do in modeling: Sanding molded windshield wipers from clear parts and sanding it smooth till any scratches are showing..Fun, fun, fun.

Oliver

• 2 weeks later...
Have you tried 'magic marker'?

This guy got a good result on his Dauphin.

http://www.gengriz.co.uk/2009/May09.htm

large number of helos/models.. not sure if he's a member here.

Hi

Thanks. Great link. Indeed that guy is a good modeler. I like to try the markers but I wonder if you would see the streaks of the pen on the windows....cant tell on the photos.

OLiver

Hi Andrew

Can you take tight photos of the final product

Oliver

Sorry Oliver,

I have been offline for a few days over Christmas. Hope you and everyone else had a good one. I shall see what I can do for you as I am in a bit of an upheaval at the moment building a new display cabinet for all these Hueys!

Regards

Andrew :)